Author Topic: 100 shirt urgent "tomorrow by 7am" job  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
100 shirt urgent "tomorrow by 7am" job
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:18:21 PM »
Happening right now... and hating myself.

Burning screens at 10pm.

Offline squeegee

Re: 100 shirt urgent "tomorrow by 7am" job
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 10:22:44 PM »
I hope you are charging double  ::)

EDIT-in your case I hope you are charging triple ;D

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 10:24:55 PM »
If nothing else is going on tonight, could be a nice order if you charge for it. I did a 30 shirt order that I got last night at 8PM. I had them ready for the customer at noon today. Customer couldn't be happier and I cha-chinged some nice pocket change!
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 02:39:38 AM »
1145 pm.. I just finished up a job for a guy and have another to run tomorrow night for a monday morning pickup.

I don't mind, prefer to work at night, it's cool and quiet.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 08:59:19 AM »
Early Friday morning I ran an overnight rush. Was compensated handsomely, and if it wasn't for problems with the initial ai files would have been a dream.
Yesterday, late afternoon, I got a call from a band (referral from a local board buddy) who had just sold out the previous evening and wanted a one day rush. They, however did not want to pay my extra charges.

One day, and a Sunday to boot is not going to be cheap.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 11:35:07 AM »
Too bad they were looking at it as a way to make a buck on the sales. 

They were looking at it ENTIRELY WRONG!!

Unless you're the Rolling Stones, Godsmack, Aerosmith or the like, the idea is to get your NAME out all over the place.  Even if you make zero on the items.  I used to have bring that up all the time to the bands my son referred to me that expected me to take a loss and them to make a killing on the shirts.

And I have to add.  Who the hell needs shirts at 7 a.m.?  Unless they have to leave early to travel to a venue.  Like someone else said Shaun, hope you're being well compensated.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:43:45 AM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 12:54:25 PM »
7am? what band is up at 7 am? unless they are just getting home! . .. I used to do things like this too. . .but I have learned what is most important to me -and it's time with my family. so what, I'll make a few hundred bucks for 2 hours work, I can do that anytime I want. . . reading my daughter stories before bed = priceless. . .but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm slowly starting to realize money isn't everything. And with that -I am going to load up my canoe and take the kiddos for a ride. . .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 12:57:40 PM »
i would sell my family if I could, but the market isn't great right now.

Seriously, I have to agree with homer, I am enjoying my time away from work more and more.  I like making money, but I also like enjoying life as well.

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 05:23:37 PM »
I enjoy work, I enjoy life, I enjoy my family.
Working on a weekend for a Sunday delivery doesn't mean nor should it imply that my family is not important.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 11:17:56 PM »
7am? what band is up at 7 am? unless they are just getting home! . .. I used to do things like this too. . .but I have learned what is most important to me -and it's time with my family. so what, I'll make a few hundred bucks for 2 hours work, I can do that anytime I want. . . reading my daughter stories before bed = priceless. . .but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm slowly starting to realize money isn't everything. And with that -I am going to load up my canoe and take the kiddos for a ride. . .

There are lot of good times that my wife enjoys with the kids that I miss... but like my father I'm the sole provider. It comes with the territory. Come to think of it its nice to miss those meltdowns and temper tantrums too ;D I dont enjoy being the bad guy enforcer unless I have to. The man cave aka shop can do wonders on my sanity. We do this for them.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:22:06 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 12:23:46 AM »

I am starting to learn this too. Originally, I figured it would be a great way to pick up new clients. Help them out in their bind. I never charged a rush fee. Let them know I waived it, but usually can't accommodate rushes. Most of them either don't return or re-order with only a couple of days to spare and make me pull my hair out. So I am trying to be more selective of who I help (at no extra charge), who I charge extra (I rarely do this), and who I tell sorry our production schedule is booked up, turn around time is 2 weeks and I could not do anything quicker than a week at this moment (I'm doing this much more). I legitimately love screen printing, but thse are the type of jobs that make me hate it.

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 08:40:08 AM »
I don't habitually accept rush orders either. I had someone on Saturday want 30 tees for Monday morning. I passed on the job.