Author Topic: work for hire agreement  (Read 2396 times)

Offline phillipwardlaw

• Verified/Junior
work for hire agreement
« on: March 17, 2014, 01:55:18 PM »
I hope this is the right area on these boards for this.I asked a friend to do a piece of work for a tshirt idea I have.He's finished it know I'm looking fore a work for hire agreement for us to use.Any suggestions?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: work for hire agreement
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 04:50:45 PM »
What do you mean, exactly? I've been around awhile, and I'm unfamiliar with "work for hire", maybe I was out that day at school.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline phillipwardlaw

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 10:13:35 PM »
I want to do everything legally possible.I've paid my artist friend.But think we need to document the agreement.is there a artist agreement or work for hire document online I could download?

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:18:19 AM »
Are you concerned that you do not fully own the graphic?  What are you trying to accomplish with a "work for hire" agreement?  Sounds like you just need a simple agreement stating that you own the rights to the graphic entirely.  The artist is a freelance artist, so he doesn't need to be on your payroll.  Seems pretty simple.

Offline phillipwardlaw

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 07:59:21 AM »
Yes you are correct

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 10:58:16 AM »
Yes, after a little checking, that is what you're after. Fairly simple, he needs to sign over the rights for the fee you paid, provided that was the agreement. Yes, no matter how close you are, or not close at all, on paper is the way to go. If you have lawyer, check with him, or maybe take a look at Legal Zoom...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline phillipwardlaw

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 01:47:37 PM »
Thank you all

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 02:02:26 PM »
If I know what you're getting at, I think 'work for hire' can be misleading here--what you want is a contract saying you hired the artist FOR the work and own associated rights to it, the work being the tangible piece of artwork, the rights as in the copyright to the design, right?

Example:  You could pay Dan to draw you a goose, but that image of the goose is not "yours" nor is the copyright without stipulating you will be purchasing not only the drawing for X impressions, but the actual copyright as well--and if you did so, he would legally have to pay for/ask YOU permission to use it again, instead of the usual vice-versa.

Easiest way I've heard of is by paying with a check--the name of the piece and 'work for hire' in the memo is described in the ancient Fresner tome IIRC.

But then again, I'm not a lawyer, and will not defend it in court for you.  ;)

Offline phillipwardlaw

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 02:36:44 PM »
Thank you