Author Topic: Font installers  (Read 1038 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Font installers
« on: March 19, 2014, 01:37:59 PM »
Can anyone give me some info on these font installers that some free font sites have, I tend to not mess with them cause they add crap to your system that you don't want, but it seems you can't get a font without installing that crap.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Font installers
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:39:29 PM »
Keep searching on the site. 90% of the time there is a zip file containing the font and license info.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 02:19:21 PM »
Many of the "Install Now"  or "Download" buttons are not even referring to the font, or even a proprietary font installer, but rather for some third party software that helps finance the site.

Like jvanick said, look a little harder and  the font download itself, even if not labeled a zip, is there, but often not prominent.

I don't mess with anything but actual font files.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:51:33 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 02:46:21 PM »
Careful too with the fonts themselves... many of them are licensed for personal use only... 

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 03:11:07 PM »
I would not download, or even worse, install any programs coming from the font sites. There are plenty of reputable font management programs you can choose from that will not have viruses or some other malicious content built in.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 07:52:19 PM »
Thanks, I try to stay on font sites I've been to many times, but these customers keep coming up with wild azz fonts from somewhere, and when I tell them that font is not resident on my computer there like it's on mine...well hell send it over.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!