Author Topic: Triblends and poly white  (Read 1794 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Triblends and poly white
« on: April 01, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
lately i feel like we can improve a ton on our triblend printing, and we are doing more and more. i currently have on press some Next Level CVC 6640 deep v ladies tees. They are 60% poly, 40% white.

I'm printing in this order:

Head 1: Epic Poly White, Base 166 mesh
Head 3: Flash
Head 4: Roller Frame
Head 5: Union Blue, 272
Head 7: Flash
Head 9: Epic Poly White, 272

Base and white is hitting in one stroke, with a the straight edge of a smiling jack. The blue is being hit twice as it's a large image, and i'm having issues clearing the top portion, as it's big print.

The issue we've been having with this job, and other jobs is the colors are coming out sort of matted, and you can see the shirt fibers through the shirt. On this particular shirt it's giving the white a sort of muted color or watery look. ( I assure you it's white, it's just my great camera skills making it look otherwise).

The puzzling thing, is the hand is very soft.

What can i do to give it a more vibrant look. Also, has anyone done white discharge prints with success on these or on the bella/canvas tri-blends?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Triblends and poly white
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 05:28:41 PM »
We've tried straight discharge and discharge underbase with no/little success. Just doesn't get white enough to work with
most colors.

Blues are always difficult over a base. We flood thick, stand the squeegee straight up and set the stroke to maximum speed
with just enough pressure to clear the screen.

60/40 poly/cotton is the nastiest blend there is. And unfortunately it's super popular right now. Give me 50/50's any day.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 05:34:30 PM »
We've tried straight discharge and discharge underbase with no/little success. Just doesn't get white enough to work with
most colors.

Blues are always difficult over a base. We flood thick, stand the squeegee straight up and set the stroke to maximum speed
with just enough pressure to clear the screen.

60/40 poly/cotton is the nastiest blend there is. And unfortunately it's super popular right now. Give me 50/50's any day.

same thing for us with discharge or discharge base. It just doesn't achieve what most of our clients want.

have you tried using the smiling jack? they help a ton, but still can't get rid of this weird look!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 05:39:49 PM »
This happens to us a lot too... luckily out customers don't seem to mind.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 06:08:50 PM »

[/quote]

CVC are 60%cotton/40poly.  We have great success with these and DC, with the exception being the black color. 

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 06:10:48 PM »

CVC are 60%cotton/40poly.  We have great success with these and DC, with the exception being the black color.
[/quote]

Got the poly/cotton the other way around. Something about that blend man is just gnar gnar.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 06:38:16 PM »
It sounds kinda self-defeating on the surface but I like to put down more ink than you would think is needed on the Tri-blends, particularly on the UB/first down.    Quality plastisol, printed on top and cured properly (not over cooked) will stay soft and rubbery and that additional film thickness matts the bumpy, fibrous fabric down better.  There's also that weird factor with a higher mesh doing better with matt down though. 

We always run Quick for whites on tri blends and standard Epic base for colors, never performance or poly inks unless there's some major reason to do so.  Much better hand to a low bleed ink than a poly and far easier to print it.

We're up to our tits in CVC Ts this year and all have printed well for us with HSA inks and standard low-bleed plastisol.  Not the best but far from the worst print surface.  Some of the colors are indeed star dischargers, the Charcoal Heather being the cream of the crop for DC so far, gorgeous DC colors on that one.  The solid black is a no-go for DC, it will discharge but not well enough for most art/colors.

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 06:41:11 PM »
CVC  Indigo, with CCI DWhite and reduced epic Black.  This shirt has also been washed and dried 5x. 

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 01:50:28 AM »
Printed some 3 color DC on Next Level 60/40 a few week ago & it looked great, don't have any pics on my phone. But I did post some pics of one I used a plasticharge UB 7 color top coat on 60/40 a while back & it looked great too, it didn't have a lot if white areas, but we have a lot of luck with 60/40.

Tri-blend DC >:(

Murphy37

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 07:16:53 AM »
Eric straight DC is best but doesn't work on say heather royal. We always go that route and if it doesn't work we punt.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 08:36:41 AM »
Why Poly white on a blend shirt?
I use Streetfigter LB on those and it looks great. PFP

That is probably the shirt that I sell the most. NExt Level CVC