Author Topic: Hard to remove One Coat emulsion  (Read 836 times)

Offline StuJohnston

Hard to remove One Coat emulsion
« on: May 15, 2014, 10:06:46 AM »
I had to do some discharge recently, small runs, so I grabbed a quart of one coat and diazo. I have used it in the past with out much issue, but something went wrong this time.  I think it's because I used this Kiwo LM 781  to wash out the ink. I noticed that the areas that I rubbed on the substrate side of the mesh were raised and sort of looked like beaded water. After rinsing that off, I went to it with some stencil remover and the Emulsion started to peel and ball up, if it came up at all, in the areas that I used the solvent on both side instead of dissolving like usual. Did I accidentally harden the screen? I have heard that some ink washes can do that, like xylene, but I don't think this has any of that in it.

In case you are wondering why this solvent, I ended up doing some plastisol with the one coat since I had a little left over and it's a sample that I have been trying. Seems to be ok with solvent resistant emulsion if my poly plus s is anything to go by. The other One Coat screens that were cleaned with water weren't difficult to remove the stencil. Also the area under the tape came off, so I am pretty sure this is the problem, but I am open to suggestion.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Hard to remove One Coat emulsion
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 10:52:07 AM »
I know that with some standard plastisol emulsions, cleaners from olden times like Xylene did harden the emulsion, and especially if underexposed, made reclaim difficult.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?