Author Topic: Spray out guns??  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Rocfrog

Spray out guns??
« on: June 04, 2014, 03:16:50 PM »
Ok what is everyone using, recommend, stay away from???

We have gone thru three in the past week! The last one we literately got at noon and 10mins later no longer works!

Nick

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Spray out guns??
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 03:31:04 PM »
American Niagra call my Irish friend Mike Macoroni.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:59:29 PM »
I prefer the ZIM guns.  They don't have that effing nozzle that can break off....

http://zimchemical.com/id31.html

bottom of the page

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 04:30:02 PM »
Ha!!! that's what happen to mine nozzle broke, but it had a lot of help got drop on the floor with a full tank. I bought ours from Valley Litho Supply, ain't going to say I love it but it works.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 04:30:48 PM »
There are a lot of brands to choose from. I recently replaced an Expert 3000 after several years of use. I went with the Mystic ANC this time around that I picked up from a local supplier for $70. I would strongly suggest using a gun reel (counterbalance) to prevent the gun from being dropped.
Dale Hoyal

Offline KevWilso

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
One thing I tell all my customers when I sell these is, "Store the gun in a cool area".  If you check the MSDS; the chemicals you buy for these have very low vapor temperatures, causing them to turn into a gas, and the gas over time will eat all the plastic components in the gun.  Several summers ago we had a record heat wave here in Texas and I warrantied about about 20 guns before I realized the culprit.  I tried 3 brands of guns and it didn't matter from brand to brand; they all would wear out from that.   It fixed our customer's issues of the pulling the trigger and it hums at you, but nothing sprays out.   

As for the tip breaking.... Don't drop it..... or put a bungee cord on it.
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 11:43:35 PM »
or get one without a tip.  I also think the tips from ZIM will screw onto almost any other gun.  Those stupid angled nozzles are not necessary and are a weak point in the design of most guns.

Yes, you could buy a counterbalance or use a bungee cord, but why not just buy a gun less prone to breaking in the first place because you know the second you unhook it, it's toast.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 01:03:39 AM »
..another vote for the ZIM gun here....  8)
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 01:30:55 AM »
Zim gun is holding it down for us.  We use SPIFF II in it.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 07:20:22 AM »
We've been through about 10 of them in 7 years.  No real way to store in a cool place though so if heat destroys them then that could be why we have always had problems with them.  I guess I could move our zim spray station inside the sales area, I'm sure everyone would love to hear that thing going off a few times a week. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 08:50:18 AM »
I picked up an Albatross Expert 3000 six years ago in used condition (not sure how long the previous shop had it), and it still works great today.  It's been dropped on multiple occasions, and has been used the entire time in an non-airconditioned warehouse in South Florida.  The plastic housing around the top cracked recently due to a fall off a table, but it didn't affect the way it works at all.  A bit of duct tape and it was good as new.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 09:55:49 AM »
Cool! Thanks for all the info and replys! I mentioned the heat issue to my boss and we might be able to move it into the screen/CTS room because that is climate controlled. But it also seems like the ZIM product is popular so I'll do some research into that one. I forget the brands we have but we have gone thru three of them lately and I'm sure the one that died in 10mins probably is a manufacturing flaw, but it has been hot here lately and it is set up by the back garage door which gets direct sunlight most of the day.

Nick

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 10:21:13 AM »
Wow, $400 for that one ZIM model!!!!  We've been through 10 and have probably spent about 500-600 on zim guns but I would have a hard time cutting that check for that unless I knew it would be the last gun we ever bought.

Do you guys use the $150 or the $400 model?
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 01:10:55 PM »
Ya I just noticed there are two models.....which one is everyone using?

Nick

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 04:18:50 PM »
Tekmar gun for us has ALWAYS outlasted the others.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender