Author Topic: Platten Adhesive  (Read 6983 times)

Offline rmonks

• !!!
Platten Adhesive
« on: June 10, 2014, 07:06:10 AM »
In another discussion here about spot guns, Alan802 was talking about his printer applying too much adhesive to the platten / shirt boards and resulting in the slap back of the shirt and getting ink on the shirt. MY Question (What is the correct amount of adhesive , or how can one avoid getting the boards too sticky). I Use Tekmar, and Textac both are too sticky until you run a few shirts, I have a lady that unloads and there have been times we had to stop the press to allow her to peel the shirt off the platten.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Platten Adhesive
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 08:19:54 AM »
First Xentack is what you should be using.  :o :o  Secondly if you have to stop the press to unload then too much adhesive is applied.  I used to use about a 2" circle of Xentack and spread it with a plastic card or a 4" paint roller. 
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 08:22:26 AM »
Dilute it 50%. After all, it is water-based! Makes for much less initial tack but still maintains longevity of that perfect amount of tack.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 08:39:10 AM »
I diluted mine with 30% water and I use sign squeegee to spread a thin coat on the palets.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 09:10:41 AM »
I use the Tekmar stuff, and don't dilute, and have just learned how much to use to use to avoid the problem described.

It certainly does bring back memories however, of unloading on a Multiprinter, and completely being at the mercy of the loader, who also applied the spray stuff and controlled the speed as well.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 10:26:54 AM »
When applying it, my guy was slathering it on with a giant bead across the back of the pallet then using very light pressure with the vinyl applicator squeegee leaving behind a thick layer of glue.  I put a thinner bead along the back and use heavier pressure with the applicator with an upright angle and leave behind a thin layer of glue over the entire surface.  He has the mindset that more glue equals longer runs between applications which he still doesn't understand that it's the opposite.  When your pallet glue wears out it's because of the lint that is removed from the shirts for the most part and the more lint you remove by applying too much glue, the less time your pallets stay tacky.  It's completely beyond his comprehension level and I had to show him about 10 times how I apply glue.  It's not easy finding the perfect amount that pulls very little lint from shirts but is strong enough to hold 12 pallets on a 1000 piece run but it's possible. 

The unloader threw his back out one day trying to pull the shirts off and when I went to take over I was amazed at how bad it was.  I put the glue on the first time to show him and he claimed that he would have to re-apply in 100 shirts but after the 500 or so shirt run he didn't have to stop for glue.  I still don't think he understands or believes me.  Our unloader loves it when I run the press and has let our printer know how much better everything runs when he's on vacation so those two don't get along anymore. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 10:59:18 AM »
I use the Tekmar stuff, and don't dilute, and have just learned how much to use to use to avoid the problem described.

It certainly does bring back memories however, of unloading on a Multiprinter, and completely being at the mercy of the loader, who also applied the spray stuff and controlled the speed as well.

I use tekmar as well, on a multiprinter no less. I have been trying the dilute by half method, but it seems way too thin to apply easily. I think that I will try full strength again using Alan's method. The first time I tried it full strength I was stretching the prints really bad and it was just a bear to unload to begin with. For the most part half strength works well for the amount of tack needed, but I seem to be applying two coats instead of just one to get the shirts to stick at all.

Oh yeah, I just remembered the other reason why too much tack makes printing a joy on a multiprinter, the platens are over two feet long to accommodate the unchangeable stroke so it's impossible to get the shirts to slide back when aligning them to the seam if the platen is too sticky.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 12:45:46 PM »
Found the lint can be removed with slightly soapy water and a scrubby on handle.
It is virtually as tacky as initial application. Tekmar

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 01:03:54 PM »
Yeah, we do a slight dilution as well.

I know this is off the thread but it amazes me that a lot of shops out there still use that spray tack stuff. I know there are certain substrates that yes from time to time it comes in handy but in general day to day operations why use it? Makes a huge mess and clogs up your machines. And is ugly. And twenty other nasty things!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 01:05:50 PM »
Try using bristle brush broom head from a push broom. Works best

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 04:12:23 PM »
Yeah I tried that like Mooseman mentioned in his video. Goopy lint seemed to get all clogged
up in the bristles and hard to pull out. On a scrubby it just makes a film and peels off like a little carpet.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 04:53:46 PM »
Try using bristle brush broom head from a push broom. Works best

this just blew my mind. we've been using red sponges, and they work ok, but this just blew my mind.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 05:07:27 PM »
I've been using one of those brushes that come attached to the jugs of carpet cleaner. Probably what Tony is talking about, there is a threaded hole in the center for a broom handle. I also use a 50/50 simple green and water solution to loosen the felt. I remembered that Mooseman used something called mean green, so I figured that it was probably something like simple green.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 05:26:02 PM »
I've been using one of those brushes that come attached to the jugs of carpet cleaner. Probably what Tony is talking about, there is a threaded hole in the center for a broom handle. I also use a 50/50 simple green and water solution to loosen the felt. I remembered that Mooseman used something called mean green, so I figured that it was probably something like simple green.

I have gotten carpet cleaner with a brush that screws onto the bottle top and dispenses while scrubbing. Are you sure that the threaded hole on yours is for a broom handle?

Moot point for this application, and Tony is talking about an actual push broom head
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 05:42:07 PM »

I have gotten carpet cleaner with a brush that screws onto the bottle top and dispenses while scrubbing. Are you sure that the threaded hole on yours is for a broom handle?

Moot point for this application, and Tony is talking about an actual push broom head

It comes on a jug like the attached, as you said moot point, but it does say on it that it should be attached to a broom or mop handle. Whatever the bristles are made of, they don't get clogged with tack like I thought they would, just run the brush against a hard edge and the felt will shoot out.