Author Topic: Sketch attached. HAHAHA!  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Sketch attached. HAHAHA!
« on: August 17, 2011, 10:10:01 PM »
Well, you know how many people post up the best of the best. Thats much appreciated. I thought I'd be different and post up a stinker.

I hate doing this, but I thought for educations sake, we artist types can play with this and you non artist types can appreciate the struggles we go though some time.  Me being the anal retentive artist that I am, I wanted to draw a pose of a Marlin that was unique or slightly different than what everyone else does. So, I pick the hardest foreshortening pose possible of course.   See below.
To top that, I started out with the head and continued on to the tail. Now you upstarts that want to begin to draw, you should take note and do not do what I did. It can yield horrible results.

So as you can see, it ended up a stubby fish that looked more like it's momma was under nourished and he came out deformed. The tail is what  I heard once in a movie once. I think it was called Full Metal Jacket and is FUBAR. Now, to go easy on myself, I gathers as much clear ref as could muster but never got great ref on the tail. Now, I know it doesn't look like this so here is where I prefer to be creative and here is where I can illustrate that being creative is a tad difficult at times.

You typically don't get photo reference in the exact position you want so I was drawing from what I imagined the anatomy to be. It was a mistake. I erased and drew and erased and drew that booger so many times it's not funny. Now, the customer was a bit anxious at this point and needed the art so, I finally just gave in and came back to the standard side view. I considered it a FAIL. So sad.  Oh well, chalk that one up for learn'n.

Anyways,  I thought some of you artist that are good at anatomy could post up some different approaches on how to grab this fish by the tail and give it what fur.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:12:14 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Sketch attached. HAHAHA!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 11:06:54 PM »
Where I first heard "FUBAR" was in Tango and Cash with Kurt Russel and Sly Stallone.  They presented it well.  Not sure if in other movies.

http://www.hark.com/clips/mnyqbzynpn-fubar

Tango & Cash- Boiler Room Brawl
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:16:07 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 11:31:42 PM »
Are you saying the fish doesn't look right?
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 11:50:55 PM »

Yes, that is correct. Really only the back end.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline prozyan

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 02:37:59 AM »

Yes, that is correct. Really only the back end.

The back end looks like it has been twisted about 180 degrees.  The flow from the spine to the tail doesn't make sense.  At least that is how my eyeballs follow it.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 07:06:48 AM »
I see what you are saying...and sorry for being anxious, the customer LOVED the design.

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 07:22:08 AM »
from my experience of fishing/working sport fishing boats in the past marlins are more ridged, meaning having that much articulation in the tail section is never seen in that short of an area. sail fish on the other hand can have a double curve in movement but marlin are more stiff. i think if you were to give the tail one bend or arch then it might look better. as for the tail fin i would have made it straight no curves in it at all, marlin fins are hard and stiff. just my two pockets full of lint.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 08:22:35 AM »
@ Prozyan, the flow all the way back to the end where the body stops and the tail begins is what I was shooting for.  It's that direction/angle of Joe the tail must go in thy angle that is way off.

@ Jason, thanks for the info.  From the photo Ref, I could see, most are all straight. I could see in one of them that they do bend a little and would have to in order to push through the water and swim. Now to have that fish flop over on it's side while having s slight arc on the back portion seemed to fit.

Outside of the end portion on te tail ands the stubby length, I like the whole pose. It's different and shows action versus a side stiff pose.

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 08:25:22 AM »
agreed. they have a side to side motion but not  a motion like a snake if you will. very powerful animal, very stiff. so are you going to share what you settled with?   ;D
http://youtu.be/Viu9gqldjrc
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:31:26 AM by jason-23 »

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 08:35:27 AM »
Dan, you have my permission...not that you need it.  ;D

The end result is breathtaking...I don't think this group could have imagined anything better.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 10:36:28 AM »
Dan, you have my permission...not that you need it.  ;D

The end result is breathtaking...I don't think this group could have imagined anything better.

I wanna see...... ;D
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin