Author Topic: All-Over print on a manual?  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

All-Over print on a manual?
« on: August 02, 2014, 10:35:27 AM »
I have an 8/8 m&r chameleon with side air clamps...the biggest pallets I have are 16" x 22"....I have been approached today if I can do basically an all over print....its text, on the back that goes from one shoulder to the other shoulder in an arc.....the text begin before the shoulders in the tri-cept area...and arc across the back stopping in the same tri-cept area on the other arm....this considered an "all over print" correct?
Anyway, can this be achieved on my manual press if i bought the biggest pallet that would fit and along with the biggest screen I can fit? The image is one color (white)...and the customer is thinking it is puff ink because it is raised off the shirt...BUT its not "puffy" looking...just elevated and not flush with the shirt...i never printed puffy ink before be he thinks its puffy ink and i do also....he simply seen the shirt while he was out somewhere and wants to incorporate it into his designs (the all over print and the raised lettering)

so can this be achieved on my manual?

BTW..my flash is 18" x24"...dont know if that matters...but if i have to flash it for whatever reason i may be out of luck.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 10:45:26 AM by Mark @ Hurricane Printing »
Mark

Offline Get Shirts

Re: All-Over print on a manual?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 10:39:26 AM »
Mark, we see this a lot with our greek clients.  I think Action just released a pallet for this exact application.

And I doubt they want true puff, just ink that stands off of the shirt.

Mark

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 11:38:03 AM »
With the side clamps aren't you limited on frame size? I know my back clamp Hopkins can fit a 38x40 frame barely but it has trouble holding it up.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 11:52:21 AM »
Just 1 colour and a small quantity?...If so, why not just buy a big screen and a couple of hinges?......

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 12:18:26 PM »
Just 1 colour and a small quantity?...If so, why not just buy a big screen and a couple of hinges?......

Not so easy with white, which may have to be hit twice. Reg problems if you just place it flat  Also, if it turns out to be high density he wants, rather than puff. that adds to the mix as well.
If puff, it could be a blessing as it aids in opacity, and a pretty coarse screen may lay down enough to eliminate the need for p/f/p
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 12:20:18 PM »
Another issue. Is this going on different sizes? Will you need to make a different sized design on each to match the position and appearance?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 01:18:23 PM »
If it is puff, or if puff will work, get some 4mm foam or thin packing foam, a couple hinges, enormous off contact, and go to town off press.  Doing it on press is going to be expensive (new pallets etc) and may not work great for you honestly (side clamps/strength of springs, etc).  You could also look into specialty vinyls and press it in sections.  They make some crazy puff and thick vinyls that could work.  Would also save having to buy anything new if you have access to the cutter and a heat press.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »
I have an 8/8 m&r chameleon with side air clamps...the biggest pallets I have are 16" x 22"....I have been approached today if I can do basically an all over print....its text, on the back that goes from one shoulder to the other shoulder in an arc.....the text begin before the shoulders in the tri-cept area...and arc across the back stopping in the same tri-cept area on the other arm....this considered an "all over print" correct?
Anyway, can this be achieved on my manual press if i bought the biggest pallet that would fit and along with the biggest screen I can fit? The image is one color (white)...and the customer is thinking it is puff ink because it is raised off the shirt...BUT its not "puffy" looking...just elevated and not flush with the shirt...i never printed puffy ink before be he thinks its puffy ink and i do also....he simply seen the shirt while he was out somewhere and wants to incorporate it into his designs (the all over print and the raised lettering)

so can this be achieved on my manual?

BTW..my flash is 18" x24"...dont know if that matters...but if i have to flash it for whatever reason i may be out of luck.
We make two different pallets for this application. One is rectangle and has pivoting legs which support the pallet for large applications of one color. The other one pallet has bumps by the shoulder that you can stretch the body of the shirt over and print across the shoulders. The rise in the ink means the printer added a small amount of puff to regular plastisol.
Rich Hoffman

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 04:56:39 PM »
No matter what equipment route you choose, I urge you to confirm what type of "raised print" your client wants.
Easy way to tell between puffand HD, is HD has straight sides, even top, while puff rises in more of a "mound"

If nothing else, show him an example of the easiest one to do, puff, and get the OK.

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 11:03:05 PM »

unknown quantity at the moment....but its not 12 shirts hahah....it will be a decent sized order im sure....the last run i did for this guy is was 300 shirts...then again it wasnt a specialty print like this.
Mark

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 11:04:59 PM »
With the side clamps aren't you limited on frame size? I know my back clamp Hopkins can fit a 38x40 frame barely but it has trouble holding it up.

i believe i can go up to 26" wide frame...im thinking the image will be about 19" to 20" wide....i told him if i do this order i wont buy a pallet until the shirts are in my garage and half the payment of the order in my hand.
Mark

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 11:07:23 PM »

Not so easy with white, which may have to be hit twice. Reg problems if you just place it flat  Also, if it turns out to be high density he wants, rather than puff. that adds to the mix as well.
If puff, it could be a blessing as it aids in opacity, and a pretty coarse screen may lay down enough to eliminate the need for p/f/p

to be honest i ave no idea the kind of ink he wants..i never printed puff before...he just said the shirt he saw, the ink was raised...its my inexperience in specialty inks but i just assumed it was puff....if there are other inks that raise, i have no idea.

and didnt think of the different size designs...i figured one size would fit all....but i guess i need to rethink this.
Mark

Offline broadway

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 08:12:27 AM »
You might be looking to recreate a "sorority spirit jersey" which has puff ink printed over the back shoulders and down the sleeves. The trend has peaked in my area and now many people are doing the same effect. Next summer it will be just another garment. It has been around with soroities since the 1980's, so my wife says. I was approached to recreate the effect and had to pass. I think you would need a special platen or multiple set ups to get the effect.

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 08:17:10 AM »
You might be looking to recreate a "sorority spirit jersey" which has puff ink printed over the back shoulders and down the sleeves. The trend has peaked in my area and now many people are doing the same effect. Next summer it will be just another garment. It has been around with soroities since the 1980's, so my wife says. I was approached to recreate the effect and had to pass. I think you would need a special platen or multiple set ups to get the effect.

YEP!!..thats what it is!!...he sent me pics of college girls modeling them....like the shoulder seams are really really low...not like a typical shirt where the the shoulder seams are at the actual shoulder........so it is puff ink!
Mark