Author Topic: Freight Broker Recommendation  (Read 1101 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Freight Broker Recommendation
« on: November 10, 2014, 12:37:52 PM »
Anyone have a good recommendation for an LTL broker?  We used freightquote.com for years but they're fired.  We don't ship a lot, maybe half to a dozen equipment or palletized boxes of garments per year, with the odd full or partial tarped load every couple years. Most all of the clothing is covered inbound to us at this point if it's LTL. 

I've also considered working directly with carriers but it seems difficult to figure out best rates without a broker.  Given our location, the rates can vary wildly between carriers, depending on where they have trucks at the moment. 

Thanks in advance.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
Re: Freight Broker Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 01:02:16 PM »
Are you a member of SGIA? (And if not, why not?) If you are, Yellow offers great rates. I'm using them to pay for a crate going to a trade show next month. The discount is much better than Freightquote offered. The difference in this alone paid for our membership to SGIA, by the way.

I hate Freightquote because of their every other day phone calls, even though I asked/told them to stop calling or I'd quit using them. They didn't, and I did.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 01:05:14 PM »
We were last year, and I need to renew our membership.  The Yellow discount wasn't very good for us, we did have them run the numbers but we got better rates with freightquote, significantly better. 

I could try it again though and if nothing else that's a good reminder to get our membership back to current....I really want to dig into to some of their industry data at some point.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 01:16:05 PM »
uship.com will likely get you the best deal, as you said it really depends on who's got empties for a backhaul.

Can't really build a relationship with them though, and given your last go 'round I'd be pretty particular who
I'm dealing with if it's anything less than a dedicated load.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 01:21:57 PM »
Sounds like a new thread? "What am I missing by not being a member of SGIA?" :)
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 01:41:09 PM »
  If you use UPS, get with your local rep. They have an LTL rate that is usually
very competitive. They will probably have to set it up for you.