Author Topic: Foil Printing advice  (Read 1906 times)

Offline acescreen

• Verified/Junior
Foil Printing advice
« on: December 11, 2014, 12:45:33 AM »
New to this and need to quote out 700pcs with 1 color foil. Info on cost and best products to use for smooth operation would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline Get Shirts

Re: Foil Printing advice
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 06:51:58 AM »
How big is the image, would an inline application work?

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:09:05 AM »
Problem with inline is that the foil will tarnish a bit in the dryer. It will not be mirror finish. I assume you are talking about the manual application and not the wacky setups for the autos which are very pricey and quite slow.

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 05:15:33 PM »
Check out crownrollleaf.com I believe it is off the top of my head.  I will double check when I get back to the office.

We charged our normal print price plus $2.00 for the foil application.

Use foil adheasive and tint it with the closest plastisol you have to the foil.  Thos helps if any tiny areas do not adhear properly.

We found after tons of jobs and r&d that printing 12 shirts with the adheasive, run through the dryer and immediately pressing the foil while the shirts were still toasty from the dryer.  Set aside and move to the next set of 12 shirts and so on.  Once the entire job is finished,  using a blackboard eraser, rubbing the foil before peeling helped.

The foil will dull slightly after washing yey should retain a noce shine for quite some time.  Bwat to turn insode out qhen washing and just like normal prints, harsh detergents WILL effect the print - foil. 

Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline acescreen

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 02:28:17 AM »
Thanks guys, sorry for delayed response....we are working on a 12" image right now, using the crown roll leaf in gold. One of my distributors advised me to use wilflex high density ink as the adhesive. We are only printing and flashing, not sending through the dryer. We did this on a 110 mesh with good results today.  Only issue was the art has a light distress pattern that is not coming off when you peel the foil but is slowly releasing on the backs of the shirts when stacking. It is not sticking to them but it does look messy. Any thoughts on this, or is this why I've read that shops advise customers not to use designs with halftones/ distress or fine detail with foil? Also would there be any concerns with not sending the ink through the dryer, my thought is save the gas/electrical since it would be getting cured under the heat press. We are pressing it at 345* for 12sec. Let me know your thoughts. Check out our Instagram to see the design and our approach.

A few more questions for you pros... the foil has no marks on it when we lay it on the image but after it is pressed we are noticing random spots that look like the foil was scratched or scuffed.
Also will the "square" imprint from the heat press go away after it is washed? I did wash the sample but it was grey and did not show the impression of the press, the actual run is black. I did wash & dry the sample and it looked just as good as it did right off the press.

We ran some of the actual run today but I figured I'd ask more questions before finishing the whole job. Again thanks for your time.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 09:40:32 AM »
ran the same stuff for years, when doing gold foil, I print gold plastisol, run it through the dryer and then press.  That gives best results for us.  I tried HD clear, but the plastisol in the same color range works best for us.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline acescreen

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 12:56:14 PM »
Are you fully curing the ink or just flash curing in the dryer?

Mike

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 07:01:07 PM »
fully cure
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 12:04:24 PM »
New to this and need to quote out 700pcs with 1 color foil. Info on cost and best products to use for smooth operation would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

We did a large (for us) foil job last year.  We ended up putting our pneumatic heat press on a rolling cart connected to a small pancake compressor at the end of the belt dryer.  The shirt came off the belt and straight onto the heat press.  We had three people at the end of the dryer working this set up.  We were printing HD Clear with a 60 durometer through a 155 mesh.  We billed our regular foil fee.  +$2.00/ea.  I should mention that this was a discharge/foil job so the belt was giving us a little bit more time to apply the foil.
Scott Garnett
King Screen