Author Topic: Lucky - The lurker  (Read 964 times)

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
Lucky - The lurker
« on: April 26, 2015, 05:39:40 PM »
Hey all.

Bout time I did one of these. I've been lurking a long time.

My names Austin, I run a company based out of KC, MO! Straight outta Kauffman!

Short story:
Graduated College in 11 from Mizzou. Took over as my parents graphic artist as theirs had just left as a temporary position. I wasn't ever interested in screen printing/embroidery. My dad had a brain aneurysm rupture a few months later...and having a degree in Business Admin I stepped into his role and took over the company.

When I took the reigns the company was...neglected. My dad had lost interest, especially after where the company had been. In 2004 he owned a 1.5m 20,000 sf building, and ran three shifts. The majority of what they did was contract embroidery 4 15 head bauradans. crap hit the fan, economy took a hit...and down the company spiraled. Building had to be sold, and they moved into a leased space.

So...fast forward 2012. Company now has one shift of 3 production employees. Machines:
2005 Freedom 6/8
Powerhouse 3608
Some weird manual that you could barely print a 1 color on
1999 - 15 head bauradan - the last remaining machine from the glory days!
2004 - 12 head tajima
1998 - 6 head tajima

I took a quick interest in everything...and started to to actually participate in each job. The company didn't have any money so as I got new clients I had to step in and help produce the orders, reclaim screens, etc. Little by little I started buying equipment...
I can remember we were so excited when I bought a $500 washout booth that was wide enough to fit three screens...Just crazy to look back on things.

Keeping the story short. I was able to find new customers, and switch the companies direction to get into the contract printing side of things. With the customers I added I bought machines instead of hiring people....to a point.

We now currently run two automatics as if we had 4 machines...we don't run slow...I don't like slow. If a jobs finished my guys better not mess around...next job better be up and running. They get paid well...I like to think a lot more then other people pay their production guys.

We currently run 10 hour days.

10C sportsman
72" Sprint
14 C Falcon
Kruzer
Washout Booth
Reclaim Booth
Dedicated Screen Room
I-Image ST - 3 head
2004 Tajima 12 head
1998 Tajima 6 head

I've bought and sold many machines in the past 3 years, and continued to make our system more efficient. I did eventually have to add on a full time screen tech, and another full time screen printer. We also have a few part time guys that come in on Monday-Tuesday.

As of now 90% of the work we produce is contract work. After price shopping around too I think we are probably one of the lowest. I handle all of our contract orders, and that's really the way I'd like to keep it. Our clients know what they want and I don't have to spend what little time I do have sending them links and pricing on random items.

As of now I am still currently paying myself at the same graphic artist wage that I started at in 2011...Less than what my screen printers make...I just like the efficiency game...and buying machines ;)

If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I don't mind sharing what I've learned.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 05:43:20 PM by LuckyFlyinROUSH »
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Lucky - The lurker
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 06:14:01 PM »
Hey, Austin from KC works just as well as Casey from Austin
Welcome doesn't exactly work this late, but how about welcome to the introductions section!

You have a good story, and will be a great addition.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Lucky - The lurker
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 09:39:02 AM »
Well, you're already accepted in, so as Frog says, welcome isn't exactly the word to use. But, great story, and best of luck, it's a funky business...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't