Author Topic: Newman Roller Frames-rust on bolts  (Read 3655 times)

Offline BorisB

Newman Roller Frames-rust on bolts
« on: September 20, 2011, 06:38:07 AM »

Some of used Newmans I bought have rusty bolts that are stuck. We tried three frames and were unable to remove those bolts. If i buy new stainless bolts  & take frames to proper metal shop will i be able to repair them?

Boris

Offline rmonks

• !!!
Re: Newman Roller Frames-rust on bolts
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »
I would buy a can of PB Blaster and spray them let them set for a day and they should come loose. I used some on a gas pipe that had been in my fireplace, i had be under heat, wood ash, and was rusted beyond belief. The PB Blaster penetrated the rust and I was sold on the stuff. Then I would just go buy some good corrosion resistant steel bolts to replace them

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 07:20:14 AM »
PB Blaster or Kril Oil. Hit the heads of the bolts with a hammer, a few good blows will loosen them. If all else fails a little heat followed by a quick cool down with water will free them. Clean out the threaded holes with a good new tap and Tap Magic. Apply a good thread lubricant to the new bolts before using. Newman suggests an anti-seize, I use International Compound #2 which is a high pressure thread lubricant that will prevent the galling of the threads on the frames and bolts and retain true torque.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 07:52:06 AM »
Newman specifies C5A Anti-seize Lubricant but I don't know what the difference could be. I have some. I can send you what you need so you don't have to buy a big container only to use an ounce of it. Got mine from Grainger.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:59:16 AM »
Newman specifies C5A Anti-seize Lubricant but I don't know what the difference could be. I have some. I can send you what you need so you don't have to buy a big container only to use an ounce of it. Got mine from Grainger.

Be careful what you offer. Our friend Boris is in Slovenia, and shipping in a timely fashion is a little more involved.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline BorisB

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:48:48 AM »

Thanks for your kind offer. We use  the C5A Lubricant for Newman's. Luckily Loctite is worldwide Company.  PB Blaster and Kril Oil are more of a mistery for me. Will try WD 40, that's what we use here.

Thanks for your help.

Boris

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 08:55:44 AM »
there are two problems, corroded steel and aluminum.together, yes aluminum will corrode and unfortunately forcing the bolts  out without proper lubrication will damage the thread form in the aluminum alloy tube end.

Your best bet is like everyone said, penetrating oil of some type. Before applying the oil however you might try some heat, careful heat from a small torch or  a halogen lamp to slowly soak in some heat .

Do this BEFORE you add the oil as the oil can pocket in cavities within and when heated create an expansive and explosive condition.
The heat , again careful heat, applied to the bolt will transfer heat to the aluminum the different metals will expand when hot  and contract when cooled  at different retes which may go a long way to breaking the corrosion at the thread joints and bolt shank. Then when fully cold apply the penetrating oil and let the oil work for at least a day.

If you can get you hands on an impact wrench perhaps at the local auto repair shop this will aid you greatly in breaking loose the corrosion also.
best of luck....remember heat first ..... penetrating oil later and do not over heat the aluminum.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 11:09:34 PM »

If you can get you hands on an impact wrench

No need for oil, all you need is the impact. I've yet to come across a roller bolt that didn't come loose with an impact.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 02:16:39 AM »
you might want to check the stretch site but depending on the bolts (if they are newer or black or something) your not suppose to use the C5A Anti-seize Lubricant. Something about the black bolts having it baked on or something. All i remember is these little pieces of paper all over my shop saying not to use that stuff with these bolts the last time i built a bunch of frames.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline BorisB

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 06:16:17 AM »

If you can get you hands on an impact wrench

No need for oil, all you need is the impact. I've yet to come across a roller bolt that didn't come loose with an impact.

John thanks for your advice.  10 min at car garage across street and all 15 screens were "boltless"

Boris