Author Topic: Browser hijacking - Mal ware etc. currently on my PC.  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Browser hijacking - Mal ware etc. currently on my PC.
« on: August 09, 2015, 05:23:22 PM »
I have been able to download MCafee (account with another download available) but they tell me that the Hijacking is another issue that the McAfee download I did (does not cover). So they wanted $179.95 for the year or $129.95 for this one time (7 day) coverage to resolve it. 

I have had Windows updates turn off for some time now, and I have 93 updates avail. They had me check through a few key programs to confirm the versions such as
JAVA 7.0.550 (old)
Adobe Reader 11.0.12
They may have had me check one or two more, but I don't think so.

I chose not to use their services.  The WARNING they gave me, is that if I do the updates now, that I will get a blank blue or black screen...and then I'm sunk.  True or are they just trying to scare me and get me to purchase their service?

So I've tried to remove what I could that didn't look right. Nothing crashed so, so far so good. Then, I checked my browser.  Google Chrome then popped up and told me that and unknown program wants to redirect me. Do I want to allow this. I click no two different times). After that, I don't seem to me getting redirected to some advertisement. Still tho, I don't think it's removed my issues.

Can this be handled without taking it to a repair shop?  So far, so good but I don't think it's totally gone.

As I Typed that last sentence, I received a pop up WARNING from Mcafee stating "An unknown action was attempting to download a program. Deleting this program may affect other programs as it could be attached to bundled programs".
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline jvieira

Re: Browser hijacking - Mal ware etc. currently on my PC.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 05:32:28 PM »
have a look into Google Chrome extensions. It's a long shot but you never know

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 05:47:48 PM »
Any time you are hacked, unplug ether net or disable your wireless connection first. Then shut down and boot into safe mode. You need to get to another computer and download the following:
MalwareBytes
TDSSKiller
AdwCleaner
ComboFix
RogueKiller
Hitman Pro

Put them on a USB and install them on you infected computer and run them one at a time and reboot when promptee, always into safe mode. Then go into autorun and disable anything nonessential from startup, programs and services (consult Google if necessary).

McAfee and Norton are scams and do basically nothing to prevent this stuff then charge out the ass to fix their failings.

After your get this fixed run Firefox with noscript and ad block and keep those updated. You will literally never get an infection again unless you do stupid stuff like open email attachments from people you don't know. Chrome does not have the same malate blocking extensions as Firefox unfortunately and you are less secure using it.

Offline jvieira

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 06:03:44 PM »
McAfee and Norton are scams and do basically nothing to prevent this stuff then charge out the ass to fix their failings.

Couldn't agree more

Offline starchild

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 07:27:32 PM »
If you're running windows 7-8 then the only virus protection you should've been using is Microsoft windows defender or security essentials. Microsoft updates definitions regularly and does not have to tie up your registry for it to work like aftermarket software does. Now if you are on 7-8 then run the updates so that you can receive the the free windows 10 update. The new operating system will get rid of the corrupted files that cripples the system. Plus Windows 10 is the last operating system that will ever be developed so get it now for free or pay later.

Remember to stop services of McAfee and uninstall that junk first. :)

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 10:28:49 PM »
My protection of choice now is Bitdefender. 

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/total-security.html

Son is in IT and has had us all switch to that and the cost is quite reasonable.

We have gone from Mcafee (years ago), to Norton (also yrs ago), to Kazpersky, and now to Bitdefender.  We've been on Bitdefender about 3 years now.

Just my 2c.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 11:06:48 PM »
Well, after about 4 hours of running through all those programs suggested, the first one found about 12 different things. Another found nothing after that and then the 3rd or 4th found about 70 things it didn't like.  So I've done everything Mimosa said and it seemed to work.  So then I let it do all of the updates, uninstalled Chrome and downloaded Firefox.  I seem to be doing fine on the web....but I now get notices at every click that something tried to redirect me (indicating that it's not actually gone from my PC yet). One or more is there, trying, but at least now, I've got some backup that blocks it and ask me what I want to do, allow it or block it.  I of course block it.

I've looked into my programs and turned Windows defender on but don't see the security essentials one.

That's about where I'm at now. Better, but questionable.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 11:14:56 PM »
MSE is here:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

It might not hurt to run their malicious software removal tool as well, if you haven't used it lately.  (or ever) 
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/malicious-software-removal-tool-details.aspx

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 11:12:14 AM »
if the redirect notice is coming from firefox noscript it doesnt mean you have a virus or anything, it is just letting you know that the website is trying to do something out of the ordinary.  Often that doesnt mean it is bad in any way, and you can allow it if you want for sites like youtube, facebook, etc that have complex scripting.  If you are on random unknown sites though it will prevent anything malicious.

If the popup is showing up outside of your browser at random you definitely have something still on your computer.  Also, NEVER click anything in the popup.  It may have a button that says exit or close or ignore, but that means nothing.  Even the X in the top corner shouldnt be clicked.  Instead you need to open your task manager and close the actual process producing the popup, then figure out how to remove it.  Something out there can do, but it if my list and the ones others have mentioned aren't catching it, you will likely have to reformat.  Sometimes those popups are just "legit" programs like mcafee shoing a nag screen to get you to buy something from them.  They arent necessarily data mining or using your computer as part of a botnet, but they are still annoying and should be removed.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 12:37:11 PM »
this happened to us but we are on a mac.

I think just google it and there should be a solution because your not the only one that this has happened to.

I think if i remember it does something to the firewall, like maybe it disables it? crap i can not remember.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 12:59:05 PM »
MSE is junk...it's there to make you feel good.

I would look to Cnet for the best free program.  They all have paid versions but the free ones are fine.  I am also a fan of SpyBot.

Frankly, I dont trust/like anything from Microsoft on their anti-virus stuff.  If their OS doesn't block it why would their software? 

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 09:50:05 PM »
MSE is junk...it's there to make you feel good.

I would look to Cnet for the best free program.  They all have paid versions but the free ones are fine.  I am also a fan of SpyBot.

Frankly, I dont trust/like anything from Microsoft on their anti-virus stuff.  If their OS doesn't block it why would their software?
As far as "OS blocking" goes, in a huge percentage of system compromises, you (the user) clicked on something to install the infection. 
There is nothing an OS can do to protect you from someone with a misleading program or browser window.

As I understand it, the best malware these days is not going to pop up and harass you--it's more profitable quietly using your computers resources.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 08:25:38 AM »
As far as "OS blocking" goes, in a huge percentage of system compromises, you (the user) clicked on something to install the infection. 
There is nothing an OS can do to protect you from someone with a misleading program or browser window.

As I understand it, the best malware these days is not going to pop up and harass you--it's more profitable quietly using your computers resources.

but yet the manufacturer of the OS will have a secondary program that fixes the problem?  Why isn't it built into the OS in the first place?  We use windows, but I wouldn't trust jack crap to MSE.  On my system it won't even update anymore.  Go 3rd party.

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 10:49:12 AM »
MalwareBytes
TDSSKiller
AdwCleaner
ComboFix
RogueKiller
Hitman Pro

All good suggestions and use most of them  daily on my clients systems.
I would also recommend SpywareBlaster, Spybot Search & Destroy, JRT, and Eset Online Scanner.

I would also recommend against using Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender.

Look at your add ons and extensions in Chrome, Firefox and that dreaded Internet Explorer.

Best of luck.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 11:40:47 AM »

but yet the manufacturer of the OS will have a secondary program that fixes the problem?  Why isn't it built into the OS in the first place?  We use windows, but I wouldn't trust jack crap to MSE.  On my system it won't even update anymore.  Go 3rd party.
I really am not disagreeing with you.  Then again, why isn't everything built into the OS and work flawlessly? 
I'm sick of buying graphics programs that STILL crash.   :)