Author Topic: Selective color tool for separations.  (Read 1074 times)

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
Selective color tool for separations.
« on: August 10, 2015, 01:54:26 PM »
Hi there.

I am trying to duplicate a technique using the selective color tool to isolate the colors in an image and then build the sep from these selections. I have got the red isolated, now I need the BEST way to select just the black so that I may drop it into it's own channel.

Image @ link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/slkvql5wyjcxr4o/grey.png?dl=0

I have tried color range selections on the black and the white but I am losing a lot of gradient information this way.

Wondering how the pros would do it. What's the best, and most efficient way to pull black like this into it's own channel.

Thanks everybody.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Selective color tool for separations.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 02:16:40 PM »
Quickest ad easiest might be to convert to CMYK and use the K from it. I have not checked the provided art, but that is one of the options.

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 02:58:41 PM »
Looks like I can just leave the layer I want to convert into a channel visible, then just select the RGB channel, invert the selection and make the channel from the selection.

That seems to get me the entire range of grey.

Thanks for the reply though.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 11:57:13 AM »
you could also open the image, and Image/Adjustments/Black and White - under the presets at the top of the Black and White dialog box, choose either Maximum White, or Maximum Black (I would use the Maximum White) which should give you a nice black printer...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't