Author Topic: Calmat Flash Keeps Tripping Out?  (Read 3568 times)

Offline Oggielander

• Verified/Junior
Calmat Flash Keeps Tripping Out?
« on: September 21, 2015, 04:29:38 PM »
Proper first time post for me …. have learned so much from just looking at the threads thought I'd post up an issue we are experiencing here that we can't get our heads around…. we run an MHM E type 10/12 which has two flash cures, both Calmat E-Cure.

Periodically the flash 'will trip' out presumably getting too hot.  To reset we need to wait for the unit to cool down and take the lid off and reset the red button….. this kills production!

Today we were running a job of 2500 t shirts print flash print - had the time on the E Cure set to 3.0 after index.  If we dropped the time any lower the under base would be flashed off.  The cooling fans on the E Cure get cleaned regularly.

Any advise would be really welcome.  Thanks in advance

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Calmat Flash Keeps Tripping Out?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 05:23:10 PM »
You will need an external fan blowing on the flash all the time. Get a little portable one with metal blades and place it on top next to the white dome. Point it directly at the flash
Next, turn of the electric to the flash and remove the four screws that hold the control panel in place. Pull the panel out and vacuum all the fuzz from the control boards. When you are done it should be fuzz free.
These two will buy you a year or so without tripping. The only thing you can do additionally is to buy the SSRs and either replace them or have them as spares. Once they start tripping like that it's just a matter of time before they burn up.

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 05:48:06 PM »
What Pierre said, clean and dust free but it could also just be a weak breaker that needs to be replaced.,

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 06:42:29 PM »
What Brian is referring to is the heat overload sensor. It is attached to the heatsink and could also be a problem.

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 06:44:09 PM »
You may have to take out a mortgage for parts for them, Calmat is pricey. But hey, you need them so sometimes you bite the bullet and just move forward.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 06:48:48 PM »
It could also be a loose or corroded connection in the flash

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 08:54:14 PM »
I have the same machine and dryer and our dryer overheads as well.
It cuts out and it is always due to overheating.   
Does yours cut out on short runs?
You should take the top off regularly and blow out all the dust inside the unit, the fans pull in a lot of junk.
I put a fan, 4" that is designed to fit into a pipe, on my E Type.
It's bolted onto the machine, there a lot or holes on the top of E Type.
I run a flexible pipe that fits onto the Calmat at the back (facing the machine), I took the original fan out and use the electrical connection for the original fan to run the external fan.
The electrical cable runs from the Calmat to the fan through the flexible 4" pipe.
This fan works all the time the flash is on a blasts a lot of air into the unit.
I had a connector made of metal to connect the Calmat to the pipe.
I have this unit on head two we don't move it, that would be a pain.
I have a second Calmat without the fan that we use on other heads but we use that onE much less.
I am in India till next week, I can send you photographs when I return if you are interested.
I am about to order a new MHM and am thinking of buying MSI flashes and not Calmats.
Does anyone have experience with these, do they also overheat?
The spare lamps etc are definitely much cheaper.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 07:11:40 AM »
First thing our maintenance guy would do would be to check w/mfgr or plate on unit for electrical supply requirements. Bring in an electrician if nec. All of the above wouldn't sit well w/me

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 09:04:52 AM »
First thing our maintenance guy would do would be to check w/mfgr or plate on unit for electrical supply requirements. Bring in an electrician if nec. All of the above wouldn't sit well w/me

unfortunately, it is a well known design issue with the E-type flash. Not much can be done other than keep it clean and feed more air . . .

pierre

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 09:17:25 AM »
I see. Seems dangerous

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 10:58:55 AM »
Maxie

I am upgrading and have 2 MSI units for sale..LMK if you have any interest.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline Oggielander

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 04:13:24 PM »
WOW - thanks for all the replies, genuinely grateful.

We have had to replace some of the bulbs previously and they are super expensive!   

We'll place an external fan as Pierre suggests and ensure the inside of the unit is kept clean.  Maxie, we would be really interested to see some pics of the fan you have installed when time allows.

Presumably the additional fan not only gets more air into the unit to cool it down but also reduces the amount of lint going into the unit by circulating the air around?  I am also guessing that using a water based glue solution (applied with a roller or something similar) instead of the traditional spray tack aerosol glue would also the reduce the lint?

Re the MSI flash units - does anyone know of any dealers in Europe / UK?

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 11:22:15 PM »
Next week I'll send photographs, I contacted MSI direct and got a quote pretty much the same as the MSI.
Nobody is commenting on the quality of the MSI, is there anyone out there who is using them and can let us know how them work, reliability, etc, etc.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 12:20:09 AM »
I have two each of the S-type Calmats and the MSI flashes.
Never had a single issue with either. The Calmat is noticeably
faster, likely due to the insane bulbs they use, but once you are
warmed up the difference is negligible. And at what they want for those
bulbs I'd take the MSI any day. Calmat does some weird stuff, like
putting 100 volt bulbs in series, etc, that doesn't make a ton of sense,
nor inspire confidence.

Offline BorisB

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 02:44:04 AM »
Does MSI have a webpage? Can't locate it?