Author Topic: Same ole Disney.  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Same ole Disney.
« on: November 23, 2015, 10:00:23 AM »
LOL.  Wow!  I did this like 6 years ago. You' would think they would come up with some new designs.

I guess they have a shortage of artist still.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Same ole Disney.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 10:05:52 AM »
LOL! That's like a kid's Chestburster.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 10:40:08 AM »
maybe that shirt was printed 6 years ago.

I was really unimpressed by the quality of a lot of the print jobs in there.  Some were fantastic, others should have never seen the store.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 10:56:27 AM »
maybe that shirt was printed 6 years ago.

I was really unimpressed by the quality of a lot of the print jobs in there.  Some were fantastic, others should have never seen the store.
There is no quality control! Last year we saw a shirt on the shelf that was creased when it was printed so there way 4" wide by 7" tall triangle gap in the print.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 11:58:23 AM »
You are mistaken...that was not a creased misprinted shirt...it was a new trend in distressed look. 

;)  :o  :-\

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 11:59:57 AM »
FYI someone on this board prints a bunch for Disney.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 12:08:46 PM »
We printed the same Little Mermaid design for 3 years, if it sells it prints.
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 05:03:53 PM »
There are more than 1 on this board and to boot, another bunch more shops across the US. Not to mention outside the U.S. where the bulk of the larger printing is done. Those are more of the signature "dated" program the gets produced outside the U.S. With higher quantity.

The buyers try/prefer to keep as much of it in the states they can but they get pushed by uppers to get the price down and they have a narrow view of where they can get a price they like. In the states, they are not as harsh or more excepting of slightly higher prices. It's already very similar pricing than many of you are charging.  The thing about the quality, is that there are locals to Fl doing the same design order as somone in VA or California. They don't put all their eggs in one basket. You might think that they would only use printers in central FL due to shipping but I've seen printers in VA, PA, OR etc. printing for Disney. It's all about price, quality and niche and more importantly, "relationships". They may use a printer in Rhode Island because of a niche and at some point, start to use them in a pinch for something else. Next thing you know, they are doing more and more. The buyers like to use "trusted and proven" printers. One buyer likes you, and sooner or later another in another category will be calling.  Getting your foot in the door tho, is next to impossible. They either contact you...or see you at a show or another buyers brings you in because they used you when they worked at Universal or Sea World. Stuff like that. Don't cold call. You won't get anywhere. Lol.

So, a printer can be one of 5 that are printing that same design you found to be a poor print.
That design I attached is a pic from the Disney Stores. They operate separately from WDW. that was in the parks originally.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 05:06:50 PM »
I'll add that using the same design from 6 yrs ago says something. I saw 4 designs that were in the stores when I was there.  yes, good sellers, but Disney should be able to afford (the new good seller). We use to turn a new design per each category (every 6 months) at the most. Sometimes 3 months.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 07:18:10 PM »
Hey my 4 year old has this exact shirt lol now I can tell him I know the celeb artist who designed it 8)
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 08:53:58 PM »
another printer on this board got involved with Disney printing and it was a nightmare, they looked for things wrong when it wasn't there and like to never paid, think he never got paid on some of it.  he may speak up when he sees this, don't want to mix up his story, but it was definitely bad.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline theMadArtist

• Creativity Makes the Difference!
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 09:23:27 PM »
Disney is a Monster; I was once hand-cuffed as BATF stomed in a tiny Transfer maker's shop (in Flortida) who sold at flea markets: they were looking for 'Bootleg' prints with similar art.
Damned Greedy Corporation.
He had none there, and let us go.
You'd think Damned Disney would look at it as promoting their stupid movies.....
Custom Art done FAST! And within your Budget...
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 09:49:12 PM »
There are and have been some horror stories with print shops and Disney, but if have to say, over all, they are not near as bad as some of your current customers. When you weigh the negatives, against the types of orders that can come through your doors, you can easily come out on top. WELL on top. You just have to be on top of your game. They are not for young or small shops.

They are picky and you have to be able to obsorb some hits on samples/screen charges etc. when you make a mistake or come in a day late, it can cost you. They are not (that pick) that they are not able to work with. The things they ask, (can be done).

For the most part, they are good to you when the sun is shinning and bad to you when it's raining. Who paying the bill isn't?
I am in a shop (I've been friends with and worked with for years) doing a 2nd I-Image install for them.
They have over 11 auto's.  The largest is an Alpha 28color. Yes, there are some designs they actually print 27 colors with on white tees.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 10:05:51 PM by Dottonedan »

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 06:42:04 AM »
I have spent quite a lot of time with Fortune Fashions so I have stories. But no time to tell as I am sick right before the Holidays and need to reboot. Best to all
tp

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 12:39:32 PM »
Rest and Reboot on up - we all enjoy your stories.