Author Topic: Hate to start a Pissing Contest But.......  (Read 20957 times)

Offline XG Print

Hate to start a Pissing Contest But.......
« on: January 15, 2016, 09:51:37 AM »
I am going to buy an auto this spring Lord willing and I am down to 2 choices.  Either an 8/10 Workhorse Cutless (Basically a Sabre with Air heads is what I understand) or the M&R Diamondback.  All things being equal I feel confident that I will get excellent service with both because the Workhorse dealer where I would buy, I have no doubt would be extremely helpful and M&R is well M&R.  Is there anything that I can or can't do on one versus the other?  Is one easier to operate.  I do like the operating system on the Workhorse because I have capability to remotely view whats going on in the shop.  Really big decision and I just mainly want to be sure that I can do everything on one that I can on the other.  Also one factor may be the availability with M&R as I know they are running behind with the move but Workhorse may be a while getting these rolling as well so who knows?  Any help is much appreciated guys!
Thanks

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Hate to start a Pissing Contest But.......
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 09:53:26 AM »
I would honestly look at a servo head.  After running an all air press and a servo press, I prefer the servo.

Other than that, either would be fine choices.  They each have their pros and cons.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 09:59:31 AM »
diamond back doesn't come with electric heads, but its good, I think you are not far from me, if you want to come visit my shop I can tell you everything you would want to know about the dback or a bigger press, I have both.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 10:01:57 AM »
I would skip both and get a all servo press.  If you are already on the "get a auto" path, a few more bucks now you will be thanking yourself a lot later on.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 10:06:27 AM »
I would also look at the MHM Evo SA or the less expensive S Roque as these have a better registration system.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline XG Print

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 10:12:40 AM »
I would skip both and get a all servo press.  If you are already on the "get a auto" path, a few more bucks now you will be thanking yourself a lot later on.

I was wondering about that.  I know the Sportsman and Sabre would cost a little bit more but there is that much difference?  Hmmm may need to go that route.  May be a dumb question but I would still need a smaller compressor to run a Sabre or Sportsman correct?

Offline aauusa

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »
i am a workhorse guy and would go workhorse.  love the machine and the customer service.

but either press would do whatever you may need  IMO

Offline XG Print

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 10:14:19 AM »
diamond back doesn't come with electric heads, but its good, I think you are not far from me, if you want to come visit my shop I can tell you everything you would want to know about the dback or a bigger press, I have both.
I may take you up on that.  I would love to see these in a real production setting as opposed to the show where everything is running jam up.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 10:23:17 AM »

I was wondering about that.  I know the Sportsman and Sabre would cost a little bit more but there is that much difference?  Hmmm may need to go that route.  May be a dumb question but I would still need a smaller compressor to run a Sabre or Sportsman correct?

Yes you will notice differences between air and servo.  You will also need a smaller compressor than you would if it was all air machine. I would not buy a all air machine personally. I would also do everything in your power to by a bigger machine than you think you need.  If you think a 8/10 is bare minimum id buy a 10/12 or 12/14.  Little money now will save you doing it twice.

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 10:30:13 AM »
I agree with that the decision should be between the Sabre and the Sportsman.  You won't regret electric printheads.
We ultimately chose the Sabre over the Sportsman, but both are excellent presses and you wouldn't regret either.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 10:41:16 AM »
one bonus of the workhorse presses is the ability to use flashbacks.  while they're not right for everybody, they do have their uses, and in a smaller shop, especially one with a single operator, it's a great solution to not having to run many jobs in revolver mode, as well as freeing up print heads.

I echo what everybody else is saying about getting a AC head press over air-driven print heads...
spend the extra $$$, you'll be VERY happy you did.

air presses can be finicky, especially on thick/cold white ink.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »
I agree with that the decision should be between the Sabre and the Sportsman.  You won't regret electric printheads.
We ultimately chose the Sabre over the Sportsman, but both are excellent presses and you wouldn't regret either.

^^ same as this guy.

one bonus of the workhorse presses is the ability to use flashbacks.  while they're not right for everybody, they do have their uses, and in a smaller shop, especially one with a single operator, it's a great solution to not having to run many jobs in revolver mode, as well as freeing up print heads.

I echo what everybody else is saying about getting a AC head press over air-driven print heads...
spend the extra $$$, you'll be VERY happy you did.

air presses can be finicky, especially on thick/cold white ink.

Ditto what this guy said... Flash backs are AWESOME... rarely have we ever sat there thinking "if we had a regular flash this would be better"... Now, we  have said "Maybe we should get a 2nd flash back" because we would rather flash a 2nd time and we HATE revolving as that REALLY slows down production.  We just don't really have the power in this shop.  But as soon as we move, we will likely get a 2nd flash back.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the Sabre, we love ours!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 11:32:28 AM »
Revolving def slows things down, but so do flash backs. Neither are best practices.  Both can help you put a band-aid on not having enough heads/flashes.

Offline aauusa

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 11:39:08 AM »
i agee flashbacks are awesome,  wish I had a second as well. will have one in near future.  and to me a flashback is not a band-aid at all.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 12:24:54 PM »
Some old timers would say even flashes are a band aid.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA