Author Topic: What Mixing system is best for WOW inks  (Read 1118 times)

Offline XG Print

What Mixing system is best for WOW inks
« on: March 15, 2016, 04:22:06 PM »
Contemplating purchasing a mixing system to use with wet on wet auto printing.  We try and stick to our standard QCM WOW color pallet but what is the best mixing system to use on those occasions when we need to PMS match.  I definitely want inks that print well WOW.
Thanks

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: What Mixing system is best for WOW inks
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 05:10:09 PM »
we use Wilflex Epic PC system here with Amazing base, and have used Performance Base with great results as well.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 05:29:12 PM »
just about any mixing system should do OK. They all have their small issues that you have to learn to live with and find workarounds for.
We use the Union Unimatch which is a simulated process ink. It prints very well wet on wet and it blends great, but it is a lower opacity ink and will require an underbase for most prints. Cool part is you used to be able to get a sample kit with everything needed for very little money. It came in quarts or gallons. Going for the quart version, you could try it out for just few hundred bucks. I don't know if they still offer it, but it's worth a phone call. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 05:47:20 PM »
I use the Union Mixopake and get the benefit of opaque inks when I need them or semi translucent and better WOW when I step on them with some soft hand base.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 06:35:23 PM »
FYI, if you go with Rutlands system they will have color matches for the QCM colors.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 06:59:04 PM »
FYI, if you go with Rutlands system they will have color matches for the QCM colors.

That's a big plus. The fact that I could match my existing Union colors was a big factor in my decision.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline SteveS

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 11:13:25 AM »
It's my understanding that Wilflex has introduced the OPMX series of EPIC plastisol inks. Supposedly its the opaque version of the long standing regular MX series in the mixing line.

I's be curious on how it's working for anyone since it's so new.