Author Topic: How much is this press worth? I want to buy but would like some opinions on pric  (Read 6381 times)

Offline Sea Monkey

• Verified/Junior
Good morning TSBers,

I have an opportunity to buy this auto press but would like some input on the price. I have always used a manual (ready to upgrade) so my knowledge on autos is limited. I feel that I should make a counter-offer but am clueless as to what would be reasonable.

This press is perfect for me, main reason being that it is the only one that will squezze into my small space. It also looks and runs great -smooth and quiet. I got to 'kick the tires' on it earlier this week.

Here's what I can tell you apout it.
It is a 2008 model Anatol Horizon Mini.
It has 58,000 on the print count.
It has been refurbished (basically for air leaks and wiring) and is in excellent shape but needs 2 'tubes' in the flash.
It is a 5color/6 station press.
I was told that the seller got it for a steal at around 5K but I don't think he knows that I know that. He did put some time/money in to it.
It runs very quiet and very smooth.

t's being offered to me for $14K. Brand new it is around $24K.
I know/knew 2 of the previous owners and have their unbiased (don't care if I buy or not) opinions and they have nothing bad to say about it.

I've been looking at these for over a year now and happened across this opportunity to buy local so no crating, shipping, etc. It's not listed for sale anywhere, just offered to me because the seller was looking for a bigger press and he got word that I was looking for an auto with a small footprint.

What do you think? What would be your counter-offer if it were you wanting the press? Thank you for you help!

here are links to short vids of it running,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL6mXL_PGJU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPdaJ-2v2AA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0AS4UuZRXg

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
A fair price would be around $8K.  A 5 color press just does not have enough print heads.  You would have a hard time reselling because of this.  A good price would be around $6500.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline SI

• !!!
I bought a used Horizon Mini last year.  I have not had any problems with it, but the previous owner did have some issues that were fixed before I bought it.  Compared to a larger auto it is tight working around the print heads, loading ink, registering jobs, cleanup.  That part is a little frustrating.  You don't want one with the digital display which that one does not have.  There are lots of complaint with software crashing on their newer fancier control systems.  The price seems maybe 2-3k too high to me, but it is very clean looking. 

The only thing I don't see is a flash, which I have two of btw and would be willing to sell one :).  You should mention it doesn't have an anatol flash and offer 10-11.  you will definitely want a real flash that can be paired to the machine.  If you buy it and ever have problems there are several people on the forums here who have that machine or one similar who could help answer questions.

Offline Sea Monkey

• Verified/Junior
I bought a used Horizon Mini last year.  I have not had any problems with it, but the previous owner did have some issues that were fixed before I bought it.  Compared to a larger auto it is tight working around the print heads, loading ink, registering jobs, cleanup.  That part is a little frustrating.  You don't want one with the digital display which that one does not have.  There are lots of complaint with software crashing on their newer fancier control systems.  The price seems maybe 2-3k too high to me, but it is very clean looking. 

The only thing I don't see is a flash, which I have two of btw and would be willing to sell one :).  You should mention it doesn't have an anatol flash and offer 10-11.  you will definitely want a real flash that can be paired to the machine.  If you buy it and ever have problems there are several people on the forums here who have that machine or one similar who could help answer questions.

Thanks for the info. It does have a flash, I have video focusing on it -last video of the ones attached to my original post. I can see how it would be tighter/more difficult to get to for loading ink, registering etc..makes sense.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
You can get a better deal than that if you shop it.  I would much rather have a late 90's Gauntlet 6 color for less money and it's a better press.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
You can get a better deal than that if you shop it.  I would much rather have a late 90's Gauntlet 6 color for less money and it's a better press.

Except that a press sized for limited available space was mentioned as a major factor
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Being maybe the only Anatol press defender on here, I have a 7/8 Horizon mini bought brand new and really love the press and I bought it because same as you it would fit my space perfect, plus there was no big change over from my manual setup... I don't know what type screens you are using now but if it's 20x24 you might have to get a larger exposure unit and screen's for a full size press where the Anatol mini work's great with 20x24 and you can even get 20x28 screens for lager prints if you need to.  Now the M&R cat's on here are going to tell you all about M&R before it's all over LOL ;D, and if you got the room for a full size press then M&R press's are all over the used market and not a bad investment IHMO.  Far as price I would try 8K to 10K, but it is what the seller wants and willing to part with it in the end no matter what any of us say here, good luck.

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
I'm not an Anatol basher by any means, and I know that their support has improved, but I would be a little worried about just how robust a press could be that needed a refurb after only 58,000 shirts. Do the math. Even at only 200 shirts an hour, that's only 290 hours, which is 36 days!
Not surprised that it looks clean.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline SI

• !!!
my fastest run so far (Horizon Mini) was 350 per hour, black WB ink on white shirt.  Could have went faster but that was plenty quick for me.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
they aren't bad presses, but the older gauntlets were built like tanks.

for the space aspect it might be the best option for the money.

I would see if you can talk them down a bit.  50% off an 8 year old press from a company that seems to constantly be in a state of turnover seems steep.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
There's not much that can go wrong with them. Keep a couple of proxy swithces on hand.

Smaller print size, tight fit for carding ink, etc. But at least you can get Sur-loc ez frames in 20x28 now.

If it's all you can fit, including a 7/8 mini horizon, then I'd really try get it for $10K. 7/8's go for $14/15K. And if the seller really did get it for $5K, $10 would be way more than him getting his money back on it. Also, on the flash it may not just be the bulbs, it could be the ballasts. Which isn't that big of a deal. Swap the bulbs and see if the others work in there.

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
We have 2 horizons. Couple year old 10c with half a mill on it, new 6c in january.Electric heads 10c, air 6c as it was for 1 or 2 color jobs.
Had a titan first.
Their service has improved considerably.
Prox switches if the black ones i think are the replacements for the green ones that where the issue a few years back. If that color, biggest issue solved.
They do skype for servie help, and generally have parts.
So on their presses, we have not been unhappy.
But 14k is high. Way high
10k with flash is fairish. 8k is a deal imho.
Limited heads , but fits in limited space.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
$8k at the most with flash.  Small print size, limited prints space. The videos do not show it printing, you can make a worn out press run like a top dry cycling. Does it hold reg, tight center bearing? Not surprised about the air leaks, they tend to start popping air lines at 5-6 years. Could it have more prints and someone changed the computer out being a 2008 with only 58k? I would look for a press that does not need as much service, support and parts since thats one of their weak areas. It appears to have quick release pallets which the mounts tend to come loose over time causing reg problems and not compatible with other presses. Flash bulbs could be several things like Shananrchy mentioned or sockets.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Binkspot if I'm not mistaken you sold or worked on Anatol right or I could be totally wrong, but anyway I have the quick release pallets and I never in the pass eight years had a reggie problem or them getting loose, but I think understand what your thinking being most of these press's are all air and they do tend to bang a little more.  I also agree with you on those air lines popping, had to replace some myself after about six years, but still to me a very solid press and they have always been johnny on the spot when ever I needed service.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sea Monkey

• Verified/Junior
I'm not an Anatol basher by any means, and I know that their support has improved, but I would be a little worried about just how robust a press could be that needed a refurb after only 58,000 shirts. Do the math. Even at only 200 shirts an hour, that's only 290 hours, which is 36 days!
Not surprised that it looks clean.

Didin't think of it that way BUT -someone who knows some of the history of this press (not the seller) says the press was possibly damaged maliciously by someone who was buying it but couldn't make the payments on it and it was repossessed. I think he said some of the wires were cut, as opposed to just damaged from wear or age.

Thaks for your input!