Author Topic: Water Based Ink Base (not DC) for PC Loading  (Read 1423 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Water Based Ink Base (not DC) for PC Loading
« on: August 15, 2016, 02:13:38 PM »
Hey, what is everyone using for their WB ink base? 

We've been using Rutland Quick Cure base but it's shelf life is short due to the ink getting really "gloppy" after a few months.  It kind of separates and won't recombine despite any amount of high speed/shearing mixing.  It will print but we're scared of it and have been tossing it.   Could be our warm shop that's exacerbated the issue.  We stopped using any additives to see if that helps the issue. 

Anyways the Quick Cure is a fine base but I don't like tossing otherwise reusable WB inks out due to paranoia with the rheology, etc.  Would love to hear of any good alternatives.   One thought I had was simply moving "WB" inks over to HSA and reducing them if needed.

*I know that many use DC base for WB printing but we don't do that here, would love to but the wash test do not stack up unfortunately when running unactivated DC.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
Re: Water Based Ink Base (not DC) for PC Loading
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 10:32:09 PM »
You are correct. It does separate and the heat / shear doesn't help. We have switched to HSA like you have said and reduce as needed. For example stock black and then reduced black gallons. But that is our stock colors.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 11:18:04 PM »
What HSA base are you running for this?   Stable after 6mo-1yr?

We would use Matsui 301 Stretch Clear.  Have not had it in the shop long enough to really say if it will be more stable.  We do add the max amount of printgen retarder and, depending on the pigments going into it, softener and the non-pot life inducing fixative.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 11:42:42 PM »
It's Permaset SuperCover line. Super Expensive too haha. But only been really using it now full time for a few months so we will see. But I have yet to see an opacity like it. We are still learning with it though. But it seems there are new inks coming out all the time now though.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 01:22:45 AM »
It's Permaset SuperCover line. Super Expensive too haha. But only been really using it now full time for a few months so we will see. But I have yet to see an opacity like it. We are still learning with it though. But it seems there are new inks coming out all the time now though.

same here, it looks like it will be our WB ink of choice. We have one more to test, but Permaset will probably be it. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 08:57:03 AM »
Anyone using the Magma line besides Serg?  Just got an email from Nazdar in regards to Magma special effects sample kit.