Author Topic: Anyone ever checked out this DVD?  (Read 5581 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Anyone ever checked out this DVD?
« on: October 27, 2011, 02:17:00 AM »
http://www.greatdanegraphics.com/training-dvd-roms/learning-photoshop-cs3

I'm gearing up to do more work and quickly learning we don't know a lot of screen printing specific tricks.

Anyone know anything about this product... it's "cheap" but is it really going to open the wife and I's eyes?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: Anyone ever checked out this DVD?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 03:25:37 AM »
I don't know that one but this one is really good. www.totaltraining.com/

I have a bachelors degree in Graphic Design and have been working in Photoshop for over 15 years. The Total Training DVD in Photoshop is amazing. They showed tips, tricks and short cuts that it took me years to figure out. It has to be the best training for Adobe Programs.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 06:57:40 AM »
Total training is great, but I'm thinking that he is looking for something more specific to Screen Printing and PS.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 10:58:46 AM »
I picked up his Photoshop/Illustrator for Mac book, even though I already knew a lot, it's nice to be able to pick another's brain, so to speak. Well presented, easy to follow (for me anyway, since I already knew most of it). I'm pretty sure it wouldn't hurt you at all.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 11:09:03 AM »
I have someone that will let me "borrow" those dvd's... but like DK said, I'm looking for something more screen printing specific.

Like lasts night I was messing with a file for a upcoming job and realized I could potentially "make" dark brown by half-toning the black over the light brown and save them a color.  So I started to try it out and quickly realized I had no clue what I was doing.  I finally found "a way" to do it... but point is that I realized I'm pretty clueless on how to handle these types of things.

I have been staring at that dvd for a while and figured I'd see if anyone knows anything about it before pulling the trigger.  Hate to waste/money on it if it's not really worth it.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 12:10:12 PM »
Photoshop is like an ocean its pretty deep..its hard to keep everything you learn in your head when you need it atleast for me, so I always try to keep a few notes on things that I don't do everyday in the program.  I found some very useful tips on youtube some I might never need to use and some are really right on time best thing its free and right at my fingertips.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 07:05:09 PM »
also you can pick up tips gear towars the industry right here ;)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 08:05:06 PM »
I completely agree... I doubt there is much more in this DVD that I can't just find with some well worded google searches or perusing these very forums and occasionally picking you guy's brains (don't fret... I have a VERY small pic and a very good magnifying glass. :p )

But I can't help but wonder if my time would be better spent getting this as a crash course for screen printing.  My main question is... will this actually be that crash course?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 11:39:59 AM »
True, but if you buy the DVD, you'll have it, and not spend a lot of time looking for something you hope is right. In the time spent searching, you could instead be printing something and the profit could be used toward the purchase price. And, it's specifically aimed at you... We've had customer pick out designs from their catalogs, then add the necessary text, and they print beautifully. I think it would be a good purchase.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 02:45:19 PM »
I completely agree... I doubt there is much more in this DVD that I can't just find with some well worded google searches or perusing these very forums and occasionally picking you guy's brains (don't fret... I have a VERY small pic and a very good magnifying glass. :p )

But I can't help but wonder if my time would be better spent getting this as a crash course for screen printing.  My main question is... will this actually be that crash course?

While I am not a FAN of his, (only because he's doing something I want to do and he's actually doing it), I would say that it's best that that you purchase his and own it. You will want to refer to it many times over until you are comfortable. That may be a few years. Are you going to be "borrowing" that CD that long?  Borrowing someones (so to speak) is not allowing you to view it as needed when you need it. For the money, it's going to be the right choice.  A CD from him is going to be better than a CD from most all others thus far (till mine comes out).  No promises.

I saw where a women came out with a book called Photoshop for screen printers (I think it was). That (by way of it's title name) is a farce. I don't think she knows much about screen printing so how can it really pertain?  It doesn't show that well (from the portions I read. I think it's a good "photoshop tutorial book" like many, but not specific to screen printing i my opinion.  Most all other Photoshop tutorials/DVD's don't get into screen print related issues to techniques so it's fair to say that since Great Danes is the only one' so far, then it's fair to call it the best.

I'll also say, that He's trying to make a living off these so, I'd pay for it and own it if I were you. It's like screen printers. When your customer needs tee shirts, you don't want your other customer lending them their shirts do you? No, you want to sell them their own. You need to continue to make money...so you can stay in business.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 04:53:58 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 03:32:53 PM »
Well sir... you convinced me.

I just purchased it.  Now if it sucks I expect you to buy it from me. ;)  J/K

Soon as you put out a dvd on separations I'd like to be the first in line to buy one!

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 04:48:56 PM »
Well sir... you convinced me.

I just purchased it.  Now if it sucks I expect you to buy it from me. ;)  J/K

Soon as you put out a dvd on separations I'd like to be the first in line to buy one!

review it and post it when you can

Offline Big Frank Sports

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 05:05:55 PM »
I have both his books, for Corel and PS.  As for the PS one its not bad but then again I need PS for dummies if there was ever such a book.  He does go back and forth between Illy and PS so keep an eye on header.

Frank
Frank Allnutt
Your Logo, Motto or Photo on just about ANYTHING! 304-982-7159 - don't let the video phone intro SCARE ya!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 03:25:35 PM »
Well...

I've had the dvd for a while now and I'm not impressed AT ALL.

For a complete idiot like me, you might learn a bit.  Especially subtleties/tricks of some of the tools.  For someone that is familiar with PS already (like my wife)... this doesn't teach you anything.

Soon as I opened the dvd and pulled out the insert with the "table of contents" I realized it was a mistake.  There was a section towards the end that looked promising, Simulated Process Separations.  In this video he tells you to go buy another program and then shows you how to use some sep software. WTF?!  Just about 95% of everything in this dvd is about how to use the basic functions of the tools.  Color curves, type tool, using the red eye reduction tool?!?!  I guess it's "geared towards screen printers" in that he speaks in screen printer types of terms from time to time while telling you how to use the tools.  This is far from giving you any real instructions for advancing your photoship skills in the screen printing world.

He doesn't even cover basic spot color separations.

I've learned more screen printer specific techniques in 30 mins on youtube than in 8+ hours of this video. :(

Pretty disappointing.

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 04:09:31 PM »
i know the feeling GILLY man. i once bought a dvd gear towards our industry
by a company out of arizona that went out of biz. no wonder
then i got a subscription at Lynda.com
and got my money`s worth
i believe there`s better tuts. for our industry but they all for corel users
just a thought