Author Topic: Removing lint from shirt on auto press???  (Read 4564 times)

Offline acescreen

• Verified/Junior
Removing lint from shirt on auto press???
« on: September 07, 2016, 12:04:42 AM »
I'm sure this has been discussed plently before but I'd like to know how you auto guys are removing lint from garments. I feel we spend waaaayyy to much time stopping the press and picking lint off screen and patching up shirts. Today I ran 5 jobs with white on darks and I had to have stopped at least 20x. Especially when doing waterbase base or straight natural discharge you have to wait till it gets to the back of the dryer to find out you got lint in the screen. We ran 4,000pcs earlier this year that should have been a slam dunk quick run, D-White on orange and navy shirts, felt like we were stopping every 12-24pcs to pick out lint. We do have a roller squeegee/frame from Action and sometimes we apply some spray-tac to the bottom side but it don't last long and we tried their velcro stick on and thought it didn't work great either......... Please share how you guys are "delinting" your shirts.

MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Removing lint from shirt on auto press???
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 12:42:58 AM »
The war on lint has never been won..

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 02:14:42 AM »
I've recently been wondering how everybody copes with lint getting into the ink on screen and into open containers? A problem at the moment while I'm doing black hoodies and white ink and I can see the lint settling in the ink - just not sure how much it affects the printing...

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 05:56:17 AM »
Lint is the only product we actually manufacture if you agree with the defination of manufacturing as converting one raw material into another.  Every thing else we do is a value added service that we get compensated for. ;D
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 07:44:37 AM »
One way I used to do the lint removal was to use an air hose and have someone blow the shirts before they reach the printing head.  Also a quick snap of the shirt before loading helps.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 07:58:24 AM »
One way I used to do the lint removal was to use an air hose and have someone blow the shirts before they reach the printing head.  Also a quick snap of the shirt before loading helps.

I wonder if you could rig up an air knife on head 1?

that being said... we've successfully used a regular screen with a light mist of spray tack on it in head one before... super light squeegee stroke (like around 10-15 psi), so the screen is literally JUST coming into contact with the shirt... it would last at least 1000 shirts before we'd need to apply more tack

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 08:34:46 AM »
I saw someone was using their ROQ flock vacuum attachment to suck up lint balls on the first head.  I forget now where I saw that. 
It's not really helpful in this case since you're running a Sabre. 
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 09:52:12 AM »

that being said... we've successfully used a regular screen with a light mist of spray tack on it in head one before... super light squeegee stroke (like around 10-15 psi), so the screen is literally JUST coming into contact with the shirt... it would last at least 1000 shirts before we'd need to apply more tack

This is what we used to do at my last shop (I'm currently auto-less), but we also put a healthy smear of shape in the screen to give the squeegee something to push around & reduce friction. The tack had to be refreshed every once in awhile. Not a total fix, but it was better than nothing. Add an extra snap of the shirt while loading, and it greatly reduced problems on linty/stringy runs.

(FYI, we used the same approach minus the tack, with heavier pressure, to smooth down certain fabrics. Don't remember the situation, but there's a bonus tip if anyone ever needs it.)
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 09:56:21 AM »
Aren't lint screens pretty much a must unless you need the head due to max color counts?  I was planning on rigging my jav up to run one on head one, base on two, flashback on 3, etc.  Rarely print 5 colors at the moment.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 10:15:38 AM »
Aren't lint screens pretty much a must unless you need the head due to max color counts?  I was planning on rigging my jav up to run one on head one, base on two, flashback on 3, etc.  Rarely print 5 colors at the moment.

I'm going to bet this depends on who you ask. We only used a lint screen occasionally, when a batch of shirts had enough lint/strings to keep slowing us down. (In case it's a factor, our jobs were typically in the dozens to hundreds, not thousands like some of the contributors here.) I couldn't argue whether that shop's ways were best, either; that's just the way we did it, and it seemed fine for the work we did.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 10:18:47 AM »
Get you an operation like this and you should be fine.

(Make sure you make it to at least the 2 min mark :)  )

! No longer available

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 10:30:49 AM »

I'm going to bet this depends on who you ask. We only used a lint screen occasionally, when a batch of shirts had enough lint/strings to keep slowing us down. (In case it's a factor, our jobs were typically in the dozens to hundreds, not thousands like some of the contributors here.) I couldn't argue whether that shop's ways were best, either; that's just the way we did it, and it seemed fine for the work we did.

Makes sense. I print lots of comfort colors though so lint is a nightmare and I will be doing anything possible to mitigate issues it might cause once I get the auto setup.  I can't imagine it would be more efficient to keep picking at shirts like I have to now...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 10:34:16 AM »
Get you an operation like this and you should be fine.

(Make sure you make it to at least the 2 min mark :)  )

! No longer available

What the hell is that horrible screeching noise.  And why do they have like a double loader?

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 10:43:11 AM »
I am a shop owner that is never really only about the pure speed at which we print a run of shirts. I will concede the speed of a run to make it look better. ie; Double stroke, extra flash, revolve, etc... 
With that said...This video is killing me!

That would be a one person run for my shop...not 3. (4 if including the person with the camera)
That looks like a lot of wasted man hours. I could find something for the employee that is handing shirts to the loader to do that would be more productive. Like catching the shirts that are piled up at the exit of the dryer.

Offline grtpain

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 10:56:36 AM »
I bet it was first run on new press everybody wanted to help, probably got over that quick

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk