Author Topic: HELP! really, really weird, but HELP!!  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Mr Tees!!

HELP! really, really weird, but HELP!!
« on: September 12, 2016, 03:14:44 PM »
Im never gonna explain this right, but I will give it a shot.

...So, I have a client that wants to have shirts made, a racing-style design. I was sent artwork that is essentially pre-separated (from the previous printer I guess, who claims that this is the only file available due to a fried hard drive), but sent as vector seps. The file contains four images: two for the front (B&W), and two for the back. The issue is that I need to be able to change up some color-scheme things, and add some spread here and there. But each sep is massively layered, and I would never get it changed up right as-is.

...what I need to do is be able to have each "sep" I guess flattened and merged (  ???   ), so that each "sep" consist only of the black elements in the image, and not the white areas that are covering some black areas. I am a Corel user and dont know of a command that does this in that platform. I was told that flatten and merge will do this in Illy, but you might as well speak Swahili to me, and I still dont know if that will work.

...I am attaching two jpegs here to show what I am up against. The seps one shows what I was sent (each is actually a vector image), and the other is how it is to be arranged. I made the proof by turning each "sep" into a hi-res monochrome and manually lining them up, but now we have to change up some color scheming, so that wont work.

...anyone want to take a look at the file(s) for me, and see if I am anything less than screwed on this one?
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Mr Tees!!

Re: HELP! really, really weird, but HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 03:17:26 PM »
...couldnt attach both files apparently, but here is the final result, before color-scheme changes that I need to make. UGH.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 03:18:40 PM »
^^^ even that didnt export correctly, the back shouldnt have the weird black box.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 03:23:13 PM »
  No merge in Corel but select what you want together and try "combine".

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 03:32:08 PM »
...no go on combine, I assume because there are things layered over other things.

...would merge be the correct command in Illy? If i brought the whole file into there, could something be done? I have an older version of Illy (used primarily to open and backsave), but this one is over my head.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »
photoshop has an auto align function. Do you have access to it?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 03:44:16 PM »
Its best just to say I do not. Thats how often I use it.

If you are meaning aligning the images, no problem there. My issue is that I need to get this to where it is all black elements only (think: positive on the film) but its necessary to subtract from those the white elements that are above them, in this heavily layered file.

Part of the problem here is that this file has lots of vector parts; the bottom right one, for instance, has 1204 objects.

...more thoughts please! Seems there should be a quick few commands to do this, but without one in Corel, and not knowing enough about Illy, Im stumped. I could send anyone the file if they want to have a gander at it, the original "sepped" file is a PDF, and  imports into X4 easily. Im sure it was created in an old version of Illy, so it should open even easier there.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 03:47:05 PM »
Attempting to attach actual file, if someone wants to see it:
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 05:05:56 PM »
Started playing with it in Illy.

If you have a buddy that has illustrator you should be able to combine them there just fine.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 05:10:31 PM »
Well we don't use CD here, Illustrator, but  would take the 2 parts that are supposed to go together, and line them up, and color them the way you need so you can output, rinse and repeat for the other side. We get file like this on occasion, it's as though they don't know they can assign the colors and then output to film...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 05:11:54 PM »
I'm looking at it now.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 05:45:29 PM »
Not the exact file but you can redraw that 1990's box shape that is missing / covering the graphic in parts

just expanded everything, pathfinder out the black, aligned them via the boxes, and colorized them and added a background.

30 seconds, that'll be $1.25 at my $150 hourly rate :)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 05:51:09 PM »
Not the exact file but you can redraw that 1990's box shape that is missing / covering the graphic in parts

just expanded everything, pathfinder out the black, aligned them via the boxes, and colorized them and added a background.

30 seconds, that'll be $1.25 at my $150 hourly rate :)

Good on ya.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 06:00:13 PM »
zanegun08,
That is pretty close...but, the front image has some of the black knocked out that is not knocked out of his original proof.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 09:56:02 PM »
...thanks for the effort guys!!! I am SLAMMED and will be a press monkey exclusively for the next few days, but will download and check out the files you all are providing when I get a chance. If this works, you are all my BFF's

:)
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!