Author Topic: Workhorse refurb complete!  (Read 9672 times)

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Workhorse refurb complete!
« on: October 30, 2011, 01:11:36 PM »

Contemplating on ordering 2 more side clamps...  Still waiting on the new regi nylon bolts to come in for the back clamp heads but shes cleaned up, painted and ready to print.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:14:05 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: Workhorse refurb complete!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 01:26:56 PM »
Looks like a good job. One thing. I noticed you have your Jennings up for sale. I take it you haven't printed with the Workhorse yet, so I'm wondering if maybe caution might be the watchword of the day and hold off on getting rid of the Jennings until you've produced some work on the Workhorse. Better to find out you'd prefer the Jennings after all than watch it roll down the street, then discovering some quirk in the Workhorse that you find intractable. Just sayin'.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 01:40:43 PM »
Looks like a good job. One thing. I noticed you have your Jennings up for sale. I take it you haven't printed with the Workhorse yet, so I'm wondering if maybe caution might be the watchword of the day and hold off on getting rid of the Jennings until you've produced some work on the Workhorse. Better to find out you'd prefer the Jennings after all than watch it roll down the street, then discovering some quirk in the Workhorse that you find intractable. Just sayin'.

I have printed some 2 color stuff but not all 6 heads yet, the regi's are much nicer and the screen pitch knob is a very nice adjustment to have as well. I also like the fact I can use auto frames so I can start collecting those for when it's time to get the auto.Waht I'll miss about the Jennings is that it takes way less effort to bring the screen up and down which would make it a better press for long runs. The idea of selling the Jennings at this point is that it's worth more I can get more for it and sell it for something else I can put in the shop to generate money like a nice used pro vinyl cutter and vinyl supplies or maybe throw down a down payment on Homers auto who knows...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:43:08 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 03:34:34 PM »
i see you got 2 back clamps and 4 side clamps
what would be the use for it
just curious ;)

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 03:44:06 PM »
i see you got 2 back clamps and 4 side clamps
what would be the use for it
just curious ;)

Bought 4 sets of side clamps from ebscreen at a  killer price, otherwise I would have stuck with the rear clamps. Like I said above I may switch those 2 rear clamps for side clamp upgrades in the future.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 04:06:13 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 04:23:43 PM »
hey one more curiosity
in your jennings press what was the maximum screen size
thanks

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 04:30:41 PM »
hey one more curiosity
in your jennings press what was the maximum screen size
thanks

Whats nice about the Jennings is that it has a spring tension control so it can hold up a manual 23 x26 newman or chase frames just fine. I have even managed to load a 26 x 31 all round frame (though not the best idea clamping a round bar). If your printing 1 color I've loaded a rather large all over print aluminum frame.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 04:33:47 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 12:08:04 AM »

Contemplating on ordering 2 more side clamps...  Still waiting on the new regi nylon bolts to come in for the back clamp heads but shes cleaned up, painted and ready to print.

Dude, that thing is tits.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 11:51:37 AM »

[/quote]
I have even managed to load a 26 x 31 all round frame (though not the best idea clamping a round bar).
[/quote]

A piece of L shaped angle iron that extends over the edges on the corners will cure any issue of rollers and rear clamps.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »

I have even managed to load a 26 x 31 all round frame (though not the best idea clamping a round bar).
[/quote]

A piece of L shaped angle iron that extends over the edges on the corners will cure any issue of rollers and rear clamps.
[/quote]

You would think so and I tried exactly that but it doesnt work with an L shape strip your still going to have a round clamping surface on the top or bottom and that surface will still want to break loose after so many prints. When doing this it was for 1 hit dark on light shirts (all over torso prints) so it wasnt a big deal but every 12 or so shirts there would be a pitch that had to be fixed. All in all round frames in a back clamp...bad idea.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 12:21:29 PM »
Looken good!

I'm converting my side clamps on the HD Max printer from the single bolt type to a plate clamp so they stop marking up my roller frames.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 12:26:46 PM »
What were you using? I've done it often and for long runs/multi color etc. and it's never budged a hair. As long as the L is rigid you are essentially extending the rear clamp and clamping over the flat edges of the screen corners and not the round bar.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 12:40:38 PM »
What were you using? I've done it often and for long runs/multi color etc. and it's never budged a hair. As long as the L is rigid you are essentially extending the rear clamp and clamping over the flat edges of the screen corners and not the round bar.

I guess 2 flat bars top and bottom and c clamps at the corners would work but never tried, now I don't need to  ;)

Being both RJennings press owners, I'm sure you've heard Rogers rant about the pitch control being an abomination for screen printing presses but man... pitch control is the bees knees!

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 12:44:47 PM »
Looken good!

I'm converting my side clamps on the HD Max printer from the single bolt type to a plate clamp so they stop marking up my roller frames.

Yeah my old Harco was like that, all of my Newmans have dents from those damn things, doesn't effect the frame at all but still.

Offline prozyan

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 03:55:23 PM »
I'm sure you've heard Rogers rant about the pitch control being an abomination for screen printing presses but man... pitch control is the bees knees!

I never understood Roger's crusade against pitch control.  Or his insistence that cap film MUST be used.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?