Author Topic: washing out screens problem solved  (Read 6234 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
washing out screens problem solved
« on: November 04, 2011, 06:39:18 PM »
I have been having some issues with washing screens for a few weeks. I have been exposing the screens the same as before. The EOM is the same. The emulsion was washing off with a little bit of a film. (like a sheet of cured emulsion) I was also losing small details - ruining a ton of screens. I never had this before. I figured it was a bad batch of emulsion.  I tried a new gallon of emulsion and same thing. I tried everything. Today I was changing the ink in my film printer. I remembered I was using the cheap refills from some internet site lately. I compared the film to some old films and there is at least a 30% difference in darkness. Cheap printer Ink cost me a ton. I must of had 20 to 25 screens mess up half tones or small text in the last few weeks. I had one 3 color job that it took me 8 screens to get right. I just kept losing details. I am so glad I figured it out. I was trying to save money, and it cost me hours and hours of time.

Offline DILLON

• Verified/Junior
Re: washing out screens problem solved
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 03:36:31 PM »
Hey which ink were you using? I plan on using the mis dyebase for epson printers next tim I refill and hope thats the right choice. I last bought a cheap black refill from staples and I have problems with the littlest dots...

Offline JayzTeez

• !!!
  • Manual Screen Printer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 03:44:30 PM »
i had some problems too with cheap ink that i bought on ebay.  i only buy hp ink for my hp printer now.   not worth the chance.
Jayz Teez Screen Printing
Houtzdale, PA.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 03:45:41 PM »
I use a canon printer. I can't remember where I got them. I am using the refills for some of the colors and OEM for the black and they print out really good now. I think I am going to keep doing it this way for now. (until I use up all the refills I bought.) I don't know much about Epson’s and I don't think I will ever get one with all the problems I hear people having with them. Mine canon is over 3 years old and not one problem. I have run thousands of film on it. Plus I can use the cheaper film. I save $40 per hundred sheets. That adds up fast when your doing mostly new clents all month.

Offline DILLON

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 04:30:06 PM »
Hey Screened can you recommend a bulk ink supplier in phx? Im coming up tomorrow to get some static frames from Advanced...

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 06:02:19 PM »
I'd always used HP ink in my 9800 until recently. I've got a couple of HP4 laser printers, and toner cartridges were about $130 at Office Depot. I got a refill from the eBay store of Inksmile (web link below) for less than $30 including shipping, and it's as good as an HP. Going to their website, I bought the refill kits for my 9800 cartridges, and the film I'm getting is as good as I got from the factory cartridges. I've always been a little suspicious of third-party refill stuff, but so far this stuff is great.

http://www.inksmile.com/Refill-Kit_c_17.html
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 10:28:25 PM »
Hey Screened can you recommend a bulk ink supplier in phx? Im coming up tomorrow to get some static frames from Advanced...

I don't use a bulk ink system. I think AST (Advanced Screen Technolies) sells one. Where are you coming from. I am about 10 mins from AST.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »
The MIS dye based for Epsons is very opaque. Well, the black is anyways.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 12:52:26 PM »
Media Street

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »
so once again the "to save a penny cost you dollars"  sorry this happened but there is a reason stuff costs more...because it works and it is better...

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 03:02:13 PM »
so once again the "to save a penny cost you dollars"  sorry this happened but there is a reason stuff costs more...because it works and it is better...

I'm gonna disagree with this as a blanketed statement.  Especially with this topic.

This isn't always the case.  Printer companies make their bread and butter selling you inks.  Which means their markup is OUTRAGEOUS!  There is easily room for guys just doing ink to make plenty of money.  You think HP really makes any money selling you a $50 printer?  I'd be willing to say they almost LOSE money, they are planning on making money by selling you ink.  You are paying the markup on your printer in ink (a consumable).  I'd rather pay the cost of the printer up front and pay REAL cost of ink in the long run.  But they know they make more money doing it this way.

They have scammers on ebay that will sell you a product for .01 but it cost $250 to ship it.  Do you propose that their shipping is better?  Same math, front end vs back end.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 05:15:38 PM »
I bought a box of inks for my epsons ,3000 & 1520 from a company on the net, the cartridge is G&G brand and does a really great job and the price was super good and shipping was free.  I have to admit the main printer I use for all my fine haltone work and 4cp, etc I only use oem ink from epson.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 09:27:39 PM »
The MIS dye based for Epsons is very opaque. Well, the black is anyways.

I have a haloing issue with their drop-in MIS replacement for Claira inks on the 1400.  It's like it had too much clear liquid in it or something and the fixxons (microjet) film was drawing it all out.  The little cart of stock Epson black that came with the 1400 made excellent films though. 

The haloing isn't a big deal, it doesn't seem to effect anything on the exposure, the films are plenty dark and the 1400 is the backup unit so I'm still using it. 

I've had good experiences with the Filmdirect Black that Bryan sells with epsons.  Not sure about Canon. 

Specifically, which ink are you running eb and in what printer? 

Follow up ? while we're on the topic- somebody linked to and spoke of some 'hybrid' inks recently, what's up with those? 

Our setup of fimdirect black and fixxons rolls on the 4800 just plain works so I'm not going to mess with film output for awhile, much bigger fish to fry right now, but my goal is to get back to crystal clear film with appropriately black positives.  I still get cranky with using the milky 'wp' style films. 

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 10:19:50 PM »
Epson 3000 and 9000. MIS uses the same inks for all of the Stylus Pro dye based Epsons, or
so I've been told. Fixxons film too, haven't seen any halo issues. I do get cranky at waterproof
foggy film though. I used to run non-waterproof that was crystal clear, but damned if I can find a
decent supplier of that anymore.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 11:37:47 PM »
check out spot color supply on the boards here.  He carries it.

I have switched to the hybrid black from here: http://store.inkjetcarts.us/screen-printing-c481.aspx

and it rocks.  it actually dries on the films and doesn't get stuck to another one over time.  It's killer stuff. The dmax is AMAZING. Actually off the chart I have...I think mine maxes out at 4 or 4.5.