Author Topic: MHM and Adelco Presses  (Read 1256 times)

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
MHM and Adelco Presses
« on: September 14, 2019, 11:33:40 AM »
Can someone please help me out? Now that MHM in the States is with SPSI and no longer Hersch I noticed that Hersch is carrying Adelco. I was under the impression Adelco was rebranded MHM for certain overseas markets. Or am I completely wrong and they are two completely different presses / companies. And I am talking presses not dryers or anything else. I'm not really interested in the behind the scenes politics but the presses themselves. Are the parts compatible? Just curious for future considerations. Thanks!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: MHM and Adelco Presses
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 11:46:31 AM »
Just looking at the press it is not the same as MHM.
Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 11:54:57 AM »
Thanks Pierre. I'm just getting into educating myself on MHM.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 12:20:05 PM »
2 completely different companies and not rebranded MHMs. I think Adelco is made in China. I have not heard good things about Adelco presses.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 12:31:35 PM by 1964GN »

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 12:30:21 PM »
Thank you. I have heard that their dryers are good or were. Not sure. Is anyone on here running their presses or dryers?

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 12:35:21 PM »
I just checked online. Now I remember. They are in the UK and they sell their dryers along with Kornit DTG machines so I assumed the whole Kornit / MHM connection they were just rebranded machines. Totally not. Got it now. Thanks all. But is anyone on here running them in the States?

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 12:42:47 PM »
Their presses are pretty new to the states so I doubt there are any, especially given that Hirsch is involved LOL. I have seen their dryers around but don't have any personal experience with them.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 01:08:04 PM »
I have a MHM press and a Adelco gas dryer.
Been running them for 4 years without any problems.
MHM is made in Austria.     An amazing machine.    Adelco is a UK based company and manufacture in China, the main electric parts are German made.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 01:42:26 PM »
Our MHM Synchroprint S 10/12 is 15 years plus; we've replaced some parts, did a little drilling and re-tapping a front screen holder the other day, replaced a number of valves that make the squeegee/floodbar go back and forth, and something in the brain once about 3 years ago. Some parts simply take two weeks to get, I tried everything. I did find that the valves were 60% less if I ordered them from a local supplier, it was still 2 weeks... great press really.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 02:07:22 PM »
Thanks for all the info everyone. Yeah I know MHM presses are beautifully engineered in Austria and Rick sings their praises and rightfully so. But like all manufacturers sometimes a bad one slips onto the market and you get a bent shaft or something similar that I believe Pierre had. But I do like MHM and Roqs as well. We run M&R but just keeping all options open for the future. Never know what will happen.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 07:34:10 AM »
If you get serious about looking at your options you need to go to SPSI and run the presses. 3 of us spent a few days there recently and were able to go from imaging screens to setting up and running multiple jobs. A real life production experience. It's very eye opening. For us, the MHM pin registration combined with CTS seems to be the ultimate combo. Pulling screens for ink changes, popping them back in and printing with no need to micro would be a game changer for us given the type of work we do.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 08:34:09 AM »
If you get serious about looking at your options you need to go to SPSI and run the presses. 3 of us spent a few days there recently and were able to go from imaging screens to setting up and running multiple jobs. A real life production experience. It's very eye opening. For us, the MHM pin registration combined with CTS seems to be the ultimate combo. Pulling screens for ink changes, popping them back in and printing with no need to micro would be a game changer for us given the type of work we do.

the triloc system is better for pre registration. Now I will say that we have not managed to get either of them working and in part it is because of our various contributing factors, but in practice with MHM pin system is better for film, but worse for CTS. I think Maxi is running a properly set up CTS with his presses and he can tell you how much microing he does or doesn't do. He would be the only one I know who's managed to make it work. I know other who have tried and could not get it going in practice.

No question MHM is a nice press and it is more polished then ROQ, but overall I prefer ROQ (and we still have our MHM).

pierre

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2019, 08:54:53 AM »
I have not had time to dial mine in, the CTS arrived just before our crazy season.
Later on this month I'll do it but I want to change all the MHM cups (the pin is on the press).     A lot of ours are 8 years old and I'm sure they don't lock exactly in place.
One think I do know is that if I see a problem on a screen after printing the wax I can pop it back in and get a second image exactly over the first one.
So the CTS is is printing the same image exactly in the same place, I suppose I should print a couple of different images onto the same screen and see if they also register.      After that it's over to the press.
You can definately remove a screen and replace it in exactly the same postion, we've had a few one color jobs in the middle of a bigger run, we remove the base screen, print the one color job and then replace it, no problems with that.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 08:57:23 AM by Maxie »
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 02:13:14 AM »
Thank you. I have heard that their dryers are good or were. Not sure. Is anyone on here running their presses or dryers?
Adelco dryers are from the UK, right? Look at the Adelco website, they explain it all there.
UK company with production facility in Shanghai.
https://www.adelco.co.uk/about

And it`s all coming back to me now, I spoke to them years ago and they mentioned back then that they would switch to China manufacturing

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 05:48:53 AM »
You can definately remove a screen and replace it in exactly the same postion, we've had a few one color jobs in the middle of a bigger run, we remove the base screen, print the one color job and then replace it, no problems with that.

So many of our jobs these days contain 100% cotton, 50/50, and 100 poly for the same print. Being able to remove the underbase screen to change inks and not have to re register has us very intrigued.

but in practice with MHM pin system is better for film, but worse for CTS.

pierre

This makes zero sense to me. If the press is zeroed to the CTS, I can't understand how film would be better. What am I missing here?