Author Topic: We lost a great man  (Read 1832 times)

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
We lost a great man
« on: September 23, 2019, 07:44:25 AM »
Last night we lost a great man. Joe Clarke passed away last evening. If you knew him, you feel my grief. I can't say enough good about the man, so I won't even try. Joe is in peace and pain free now. Pray for comfort for his family?
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Re: We lost a great man
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 07:50:57 AM »
Sad to hear. I didn't know him personally but heard his name enough to know he was a pioneer in the business. My condolences to all that were close with him.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 09:28:44 AM »
oh man. . .
 :'(
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 09:34:44 AM »
Very sad. All who knew him, knew it was coming soon. he didn't hide it and seemed he was not afraid of it, but one never wants it to actually happen.  Great guy. He has left a legacy and will be remembered for a very long time. Def a part of the screen printing history.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 10:09:33 AM »
My condolences to his family. Joe and I last worked on a project for Printwear magazine several years ago. He penned it and I provided all the samples. It was great piece. "Weighing waterbased inks" was the title if you can find it. Joe was the most intelligent and charismatic man I have ever met. He was genuine. We did not meet in person often but when we did, he lit up. He was like that with everyone even though he might have never met them. He never talked down to anyone but oh, how he liked to explain things to us mere mortals! Indeed, a great man.
Rest in Peace my Friend, God Bless.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 11:49:08 AM »
I did not know him, but read much of his writings, and thankful for his sharing of his knowledge. May he rest in peace, I hope it was easy for him...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 01:06:57 PM »
Last night we lost a great man. Joe Clarke passed away last evening. If you knew him, you feel my grief. I can't say enough good about the man, so I won't even try. Joe is in peace and pain free now. Pray for comfort for his family?

Thank you for posting this Dave. The world was a better place with Joe in it; I know I am a better man for knowing him. He positively impacted most everyone he met. His enthusiasm was contagious.

Joe hired and mentored me way back in the day. His passion is what inspired me for sure. Rest In Peace Joe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 01:25:09 PM »
I was blessed to be able to visit Joe yesterday. In all of the years I have known Joe, I can honestly say yesterday was the first and only day I didn't see a smile on his face. Joe taught me more about printing than anyone else. But he taught me about compassion and tolerance of others. He showed by example the right way to treat people. I have a formula that Joe gave me sitting on my desk this very moment, as it has been since we discussed it. it's so simple but so complex. I strive to solve it every day

Optimism+ Gratitude=Contentment

Not much more to say.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 01:41:58 PM »
I didn't know him on a personal level but did speak with him once and he seem to be what you all say, a very good man and yes he will be missed from us in the screenprint world and his family...RIP
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 02:00:18 PM »
So sorry to hear.  Joe was a mentor to us all, who gave so much knowledge to the industry.  We all have a bit of Joe's knowledge in us, hopefully we can carry on his legacy.  He was a gifted man.

Al
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline TheGhost

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 03:54:55 PM »
Joe was great. Always happy to share info and usually more than I could grasp. Sad to hear, but glad he's no longer in pain.

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 04:04:01 PM »
Sad news indeed. Joe made innumerable contributions to our industry. For those that did not know him, here is a link to a short, not all the way up to date, bio...

http://universaldomainexchange.com/whoswho/joe-clarke/
Dale Hoyal

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
Barth Gimble

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 05:21:28 PM »
Joe used to sketch out his ideas on paper. When we first met, he doodled a mockup of what a plastisol was(moleculer composition and all), how it was made, and how it worked. It was of course over my head but I took in as much as I could. I think he coined the term transfer mechanisim as it would reply to the screen. So much more but now we all need to grieve.

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 08:22:33 PM »
Joe used to sketch out his ideas on paper. When we first met, he doodled a mockup of what a plastisol was ...... clip

This is sooo true Tony. She. I first went to work for Joe, he would doodle and note take all over Delta napkins!  I would take those notes and collate into a document. Mad scientist stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com