Author Topic: adobe software question  (Read 4446 times)

Offline rmonks

• !!!
adobe software question
« on: December 27, 2011, 10:50:31 PM »
I would like to start learning how to use adobe photoshop, and Illustrator, Is it best to by individually or as a suite. And where can one get the best price. I read alot of negative stuff about ebay software

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: adobe software question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 12:09:59 AM »
IF you were a student or teacher with some form of I.D., pay stub, etc., attesting as such, the Educational versions of the software are substantially less expensive. They're not to be purchased for commercial use, according to info from Adobe, but then it's not like they're sending anyone around to bust down your door. The Educational versions aren't upgradable, though, as far as I know. Might be worth taking a class at a community college to get access.
You used to be able to buy those versions at computer shows about 10 years ago without any ID, but I think they've cracked down. You can buy used copies and allegedly get them registered if you get a transfer of ownership from the original purchaser as far as I know, but then you're counting on the honesty of the seller.
If you're buying commercial, full versions, the price difference between the cheapest suite and Photoshop and Illustrator alone might be negligible. I don't know what the current prices are.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 07:21:37 AM »
I would stay away from eBay software. If you have a student in your family, that might be a way to go. Try getting the software bundled with training videos. I have a collection from Total Training and I would recommend that to anyone.

Offline dsh

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »
My first adobe purchase was CS2 suite, student version.  I just upgraded to CS5.5 with no problem.  Advantage of the suite is Acrobat, and if you get work from an offset print shop they use Indesign.  If either one of those would be helpful it is probably cheaper to get the suite rather than the individual programs.  I bought CS5 from adobe.  I got CS2 student version from  a school supplier.  When I looked into CS5, they wouldn't even take your order till you proved you had a student ID.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 12:25:35 PM »
legit educational version is also available form Adobe directly. It is a good, albeit possibly not by the book, way of getting in. The latest version does allow the upgrade from educational to fully licensed at a fraction of what the new stuff would cost.

I'll second the community college and full version of Adobe as great points!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 02:45:20 PM »
legit educational version is also available form Adobe directly. It is a good, albeit possibly not by the book, way of getting in. The latest version does allow the upgrade from educational to fully licensed at a fraction of what the new stuff would cost.

pierre

Where did you find that info?.....When I called I was told no upgrades were available from educational versions.....

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 03:17:04 PM »

pierre

Where did you find that info?.....When I called I was told no upgrades were available from educational versions.....

that was the case with previous versions. I found it on their web site somewhere and confirmed that it worked before ordering the upgrade version. It registered and is working fine now.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 03:50:43 PM »
What did you own and what did you upgrade too?.....

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 05:34:23 PM »
I purchased full versions off of Craigslist before with no problems.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 10:48:09 PM »
I just can't see paying almost $1900 friggin bucks for the suite. I think I will go enroll in jr. college by the student version, and then drop out.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 01:30:48 AM »
I just can't see paying almost $1900 friggin bucks for the suite. I think I will go enroll in jr. college by the student version, and then drop out.
Not to start an argument, but the huge difference in price is another reason that for screen printers, the Corel suite is so popular. Not better software, but much more value and bang for the buck.
And, before I get yelled at, I specified screen printers. Not offset printers, graphic artists, or web designers.  ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 06:56:08 AM »
I to am a big fan of Corel I use X5 everyday, I was even told that if you are good enough, one can use corel paint, and draw and do the same thing as Photoshop.
Just curious FROG I noticed that you did not have the Quote option in your reply to my post. Not picking on you, just noticed.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 08:12:19 AM »

Just curious FROG I noticed that you did not have the Quote option in your reply to my post. Not picking on you, just noticed.

?

Offline theSignShop

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 08:17:09 AM »
I agree with you, Frog. Corel does seem to give more bang for the buck, but I would like to add one thing.
I am still using Corel7, I have X3, but I hate it! Many of the "improvement" that they made, slow you down
and make it more difficult to do simple tasks.
If you cannot explain something simply enough, you do not know your subject matter well enough.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 08:26:52 AM »
I agree with you, Frog. Corel does seem to give more bang for the buck, but I would like to add one thing.
I am still using Corel7, I have X3, but I hate it! Many of the "improvement" that they made, slow you down
and make it more difficult to do simple tasks.

I don't want to hijack this thread with specifics about specific CorelDRAW versions, but I'll say unequivocally that X3 was (is) the single largest leap in its development.
Some of the improvements that "slow" you, were probably made far before 13, and you just need to catch up. Like with so many applications, its "use it or lose it"

Start a new thread, ask some specifics. We have many users here and even some major industry players who actually help with the development of new versions and features.