Author Topic: Laptop Battery Static Buildup  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Laptop Battery Static Buildup
« on: November 28, 2019, 12:58:37 PM »
First off, Happy Thanksgiving if anyone is seeing this today.
Is this a common problem, which then seems to present itself with unwanted shutdowns, incorrect battery readings, and not recognizing when it's plugged in?
My Lenovo, for some time did not seem to immediately recognize that it was plugged in. No more usual message "Plugged In Charging" or "Plugged in NOt Charging"
It was, however, always charged (and reading correctly) after leaving it a few hours.
Two days ago, on battery power, it suddenly shut down.It also never moved from reading 55% charged (normal for the maximize battery life setting it was on)
In fact, it did it after about four minutes every time I tried.
When plugged in, (as long as the battery icon recognized it) it stayed on.
Hmmmmm.
After snooping a bit on the internet, I saw mention of removing the battery and discharging the static. This was to be a last resort as batteries are not nearly as easily removed as they once were.
I came up with something on thew Lenovo site, without any description of what problem it was to solve, describing how to discharge the battery by keeping on holdong the Power buttin for fifteen seconds after it shuts dow.
Powered back on, my battery now reads 70% rather than the previously constant 55% it was reading.
This seems to have solved the problem, and I wonder how common it is.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Laptop Battery Static Buildup Part 2
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 01:22:39 PM »
Now, the more I read, I see that the static buildup is not in the battery, but rather in any of the electrical components and is called "Flea Power".
So now, I wonder if laptops are more prone to this than their Desktop brethren. If so, I assume that it's because desktops are tethered to ground through their cables, while laptops only so when plugged into the charger.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 12:12:23 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?