Author Topic: Saving psd as pdf  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Saving psd as pdf
« on: December 14, 2020, 11:20:52 AM »
I have psd files with the spot colors in channels.
Inorder to transfer via Xitron to a Douthitt CTS I need pdf files.
How can I save or convert a psd to a pdf?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Saving psd as pdf
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 12:25:34 PM »
File, Save As, choose pdf. I just double checked it, and it saves your channel and layers, which are check boxes in Save dialog.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 02:24:49 PM »
SBrem's method might be assuming you have Photoshop to open the file from, in order to to make that (save as) change. If you do not have Photoshop, you can take the existing eps or psd file, and “import" either a multi channel eps or a multi channel psd straight into Corel Template and save that as the PDF. Then send to your CTS machine.

It turns out that your Douthit SCT with Zitron Rip does enable you to load eps and psd files directly. It does not need to be saved as a PDF. But I realize that your templates are often what is needed (more so) for the placement/position lock downs used in PDF format.

I am also told that you can print straight as a .ai or a .crd,  (Not 100% sure of the .cdr but Mark D, did mention that you could print straight .ai files so it makes sense to to able to use Corel as well.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 08:51:29 AM »
I drop the PSD in my Illustrator template and save it as a PDF then drop in the RIP. You can RIP an AI file but I am not sure about a CRD.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 08:56:11 AM »
File, Save As, choose pdf. I just double checked it, and it saves your channel and layers, which are check boxes in Save dialog.

Steve

I just checked as well. Dropping the a .psd that was saved as a .pdf works fine with the rip, but have a specific template in .ai for placement.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 11:04:05 AM »
I’m positive, (no pun intended) that you can also create, or copy and paste your vector template content into Photoshop and build your art around that to assure it’s in the right position. Then you can always send straight psd (spot color) sep files. This though, would create larger file sizes and for that reason I’d not consider it the most efficient.

Like other output devises, there are many methods to get a sep out of it (and what people are comfortable with) it gets hard for a service provider of separations to keep up with who’s doing what for what. Like hand signals from the pitcher to the catcher.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think if only sending straight .ai files, or .cdr then there is no LOCKING into position and the RIP places the file in a default position.
I believe the EPS and the PDF are preferred only for this reason.  No?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 07:09:46 AM »
I’m positive, (no pun intended) that you can also create, or copy and paste your vector template content into Photoshop and build your art around that to assure it’s in the right position. Then you can always send straight psd (spot color) sep files. This though, would create larger file sizes and for that reason I’d not consider it the most efficient.

Like other output devises, there are many methods to get a sep out of it (and what people are comfortable with) it gets hard for a service provider of separations to keep up with who’s doing what for what. Like hand signals from the pitcher to the catcher.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think if only sending straight .ai files, or .cdr then there is no LOCKING into position and the RIP places the file in a default position.
I believe the EPS and the PDF are preferred only for this reason.  No?

The rip uses the artboard size when dropping in a .ai file. It doesn't move things around. There is no difference when dropping a .pdf or .ai file in.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 10:37:53 AM »
Yes and no. There is more to that and your reply is correct for you, but may be more so based on your own internal practices.

It’s a document sizing thing.

It depends on how you send your files. For example, some shops send files with file size in consideration. This is more important for art departments that may have a more limited file storage system...and go through 15-40 jobs a day. Large shops would be typical of doing this. They will CROP the art down with reg included to the art size. Not the MAX print area of the CTS. This saves on file storage space (smaller file sizes) as well as (fast er RIP time) and FASTER actual print time). If the CTS has to read an entire max imprint area for placement locking, it takes more time...to print a left chest when it could do it much faster if it were only reading the size of the left chest. Rips faster, Smaller document size...and gets into the actual printing much faster.

Larger documents (that are designed to match the same max size as on the CTS max imprint area) will be forced to land in the exact same location (such as with sending .ai files or .cdr). You may set it up in the art with the template...and the template is set to max imprint are for the machine. It can’t go anywhere else. That is not a program or file type thing, that is a document sizing thing.

Cropping the art down, nearest the art size, proves to be more efficient for some, while others prefer to use a standard (max template size) size all of the time. Those are larger, Rip a tad slower, (seconds) print a tad slower (seconds) due to doc size recognition...but you don’t have to consider what file type you use.

You can see this document sizing thing more illustrated when sending sim process seps from Photoshop files for a left chest print. Same document sizing issues apply. Get that to work easily, and you will see how the document sizes affect the positioning t output.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 02:14:10 PM by Dottonedan »