Author Topic: Plastisol cracking on sportswear  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Plastisol cracking on sportswear
« on: February 11, 2021, 03:50:27 AM »
I don't print much on stretchy sportswear but have some to print now.     They are Underarmour jackets that stretch a lot.
I used a Rutland barrier base and M3 top colors with 15% EPTA Seriplastic Elastic Base and still get bad cracking.
Is it possible to print these and not get cracking?    Maybe I'm expecting too much.
Photographs of print with and without stretching.
The same order has regular polyester sportswear that prints well.     I dropped the temp a bit to stop shinkage.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Plastisol cracking on sportswear
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 09:25:16 AM »
I don't think you're expecting too much as you're doing what needs to be done, it seems. When we've printed on spandex before, and used a stretch additive, it's worked well, plenty of stretch. I'd speak with the manufacturer of your additive to see if they can give a suggestion. Though I don't recall doing overlay colors, I would think they will need the additive as well.

Steve

I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 09:53:34 AM »
We have used stretch additive - and it would crack if it was not cured all the way. We have only done 1 color prints, but I agree, all the ink should have it.

I know you said you were running low temps for shrinkage. We would start that way and then increase the temp or dwell time slowly to get it cured. Yes it takes us some time to dial it in.

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 09:54:47 AM »
How much tac is on the board?  I've seen when you have too much tac that the shirt stretches too much when your taking it off the pallet.  Therefore the inks is cracked before the dryer.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 10:07:27 AM »
   ...I dropped the temp a bit to stop shrinkage.

This is what got my attention. Are you sure that all of the ink is still reaching full cure temp? Cracking when stretched has always been a tell of this problem.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline BP

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 12:39:44 PM »
looks to me as cure problem. But keep in mind that stretch additive can mess with dye blockers in your ink. Check with mfr.
SHIRT HAPPENS!