Author Topic: Additional equipment such as pressure washer + recirculating screen wash  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Being based in Japan most equipment you will need for running a print shop are very expensive. I stopped looking for a good pressure washer here a while ago as even the basic ones are kind of pricey.
If someone could recommend a good 2000psi-3000psi unit that would be fab. That is for recycling the screens after they come out of dip tank. The options I really like are both from North Star Electric
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350515_200350515
and
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200347872_200347872
Maybe some of you have used this brand before?

Same for a good hose just for developing the screens. Any suggestions?
Further more I need a recirculating screen wash unit. I had my eyes on one from ScreenKlean Systems. What are you guys using in your shop?

Thanks in advance and greetings from Osaka/JAPAN

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: Additional equipment such as pressure washer + recirculating screen wash
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:50:20 PM »
I have the northstar 1700 one. It is a good presure washer and I have never had a problem with it. Its going on one year. I think if I had to buy another one I would get the 2000PSI one. The 1700 does a good job but it would be nice to have a little more power time to time. I had 4 non commercial ones before this one.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:55:06 PM »
I hear you. Right now I`m stuck with my 3rd non commercial one, actually it might be more just stopped counting at one point. Such a waste of money.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 08:06:38 PM »
I bought one from sams club. It broke they replaced it. That one broke they replaced it and gave me over $50 because they sold the unit cheaper then. That one broke and they replaced it. Then when this one broke they didn't have a replacement in the store. So they just gave me the cash.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:42:08 AM by Screened Gear »

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:09:56 PM »
I bought one from sams club. It broke they replaced it. That one broke they replaced it and gave me over $50 because the sell the unit cheaper then. That on broke and they replaced it. Then when this one broke they didn't have a replacement in the store. So they just gave me the cash.

I did the same thing at Home Depot about 15 times.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »
Couple points. One, always turn the water off and release pressure when finished using. Two,
if you have water with a lot of particulates add a filter. And three, not sure if this is true, but I've
heard that they are supposed to leak at the inlet to avoid pressure problems in the pump.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 08:11:51 PM »
It`s just such a pain in the back going to your local home center  to exchange a broken pressure washer. After doing that for a while you start being on first name bases with the staff. And honestly I can think of better things to do in that time ;) So a industrial or at least a "prosumer" unit is the way to go.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 08:17:31 PM »
I would agree that a pro unit would be the way to go,and it's what we'll do next,  but we've been on the same HD unit for 6 years now.
Haven't had to do the return dance ever. Now that I've said that it'll likely go out tomorrow. Ugh.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 08:30:22 PM »
I had a Karcher last a couple years but EB is right relieve the pressure. I learned the hard way a few months ago when I didn't turn off the water or the pressure washer and I came in on a Monday and my shop was flooded with the pressure washer on a constant hum. Luckily the motor didn't catch fire or anything.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 08:44:57 PM »
Actually that was one of the first things I was taught as I started working in a print shop in London. "Turn the power off, close the the tab and release pressure". They actualy had it written on the wall in the wash out room. We still managed to burn them out every few month or so. Still they never invested in a good industrial one.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 09:30:22 PM »
Gosh, I just saw most of the pressure washer run on 230V. We get only 200V max here.Looks like a non starter already. Maybe a gas one and stationing  it on the outside of the building?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 09:34:49 PM »
wait, hold on, I thought your either had 220/240 or 110.  It should wire into that fine I would think.  Don't you guys have standard outlets there?

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 09:40:08 PM »
It`s either 110V or 200V. But occasionally it goes below 200V, like 196-198V. Had to get a transformer from M&R to run or Acoma flash at 900F. Before we had the transformer it never went up higher then 800F. I assume though the pressure washer will work on 200V but not on full output.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 09:49:49 PM »
EB: Leaking at the inlet...  Perhaps because of a backflow check valve?  interesting...

If it's designed for 230, 200 will be hard on a motor.  A lot of models will have a 200 or 230 option--we tested voltage for the compressor a few years back.

I've been using one of these for years-runs on 110, although you'd want a dedicated 20 amp circuit.
http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Cam-Spray-1500A-Pressure-Washer/p1061.html

It's nothing amazing, but it's worlds away from the throwaways...

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 10:25:28 PM »
It`s either 110V or 200V. But occasionally it goes below 200V, like 196-198V. Had to get a transformer from M&R to run or Acoma flash at 900F. Before we had the transformer it never went up higher then 800F. I assume though the pressure washer will work on 200V but not on full output.

If its an issue just get the 1700 PSI or the 2000 PSI version. They are both 20amp 110 volts.