Author Topic: looking to save money...  (Read 2390 times)

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
looking to save money...
« on: April 30, 2012, 06:17:44 PM »
what do you guys and gals think about wood screens for the new auto coming...trying to save some $$$...

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: looking to save money...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 06:27:56 PM »
I think that is a great idea, you just make sure they are used or at least mead out of used wood. That should make them even cheaper!  ;D

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 06:37:34 PM »
Seems like taking a step in the wrong direction.

If you treat your mesh right, newmans will save you money over the long haul... especially if you buy them used.  Cost nearly the same for the frames, then pop in some mesh... maybe you are 2x the cost of statics... but they will last many times over the statics.  Remeshing only saves you a few bucks a screen over new... so you are making that investment OVER and OVER.  For every Newman that last over at least one remeshing "cycle" of a static you are saving money on ever print at that point.

Not to mention you arguably (see other thread) have a better screen for printing with, especially on the auto.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 06:42:40 PM »
hey dudes....I was only kidding!

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:17:59 PM »
The interwebs is serious business  8)

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 08:25:39 PM »
What about easyoff for emulsion remover any savings there :o

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:25:06 PM »
I think you should use hand tensioned wood screens AND convert to house paint. . screw this ink business, paint is where it's at my man. . .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 10:15:01 PM »
Well, you did post it in a "serious" section.

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 11:30:58 PM »
he was serious until he got the first wise cracks then he back pedaled... ;D Ive got some pool screen you can have.

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 07:12:18 AM »
AND convert to house paint. . screw this ink business, paint is where it's at my man. . .

Na... Speedball waterbased ink and Ulano handcut AquaSol water soluable emulsion. You will only get a couple of
prints per screen, but they will be amazing!

I actually new someone who took a mailorder class in "silkscreen" printing and that is what they
gave her to use!  :o

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 07:27:21 AM »
How about not getting an auto, that should save you some money too :)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 08:17:01 AM »
Don't forget to get a quality staple gun as well; the cheap ones break down fast and don't have replacement parts...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 09:45:49 AM »
Don't forget to get a quality staple gun as well; the cheap ones break down fast and don't have replacement parts...

Steve

that's a good one, totally forgot about it! We are still using the rope, but will be upgrading soon. . . I bet you the staples are cheaper than the rope!
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 10:03:13 AM »

Steve

that's a good one, totally forgot about it! We are still using the rope, but will be upgrading soon. . . I bet you the staples are cheaper than the rope!

Both of you guys, do not stop there, make sure you get stainless steel staples. That way you will prevent them from rusting from all the chemicals and water during the reclaim. Rust could damage the mesh and you could loose some tension because of it.

Jus' sayin'

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 10:07:49 AM »
You're crazy to think staples will be better Pierre--Rope and groove is the ultimate in retensionable technology.  How else can you get 9-11 N/cm consistently?  Not only that, you can pick where you want to put pockets of low tension.

Ultimate I tell you, ultimate.