Author Topic: Film Maker trial...what settings?  (Read 4249 times)

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
Film Maker trial...what settings?
« on: June 14, 2012, 04:34:26 PM »
I downloaded the Cad Link Film-Maker trial and just wanted to output index-colour separations from Photoshop channels. I've got 15+ years of Corel Draw under my belt, but I'm lost in Photoshop. The art and seps are all done, I just want to know the setting to get the most out of the RIP, should I be setting the RIP to "55LPI Proof" for my film? Cadlink doesn't seem to have tech support unless you have a dongle # or activation #, which makes it tough to know I'm using it right.

I hope some of you guys can help me out.

cheers,
jon
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Film Maker trial...what settings?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 05:27:59 PM »
I downloaded the Cad Link Film-Maker trial and just wanted to output index-colour separations from Photoshop channels. I've got 15+ years of Corel Draw under my belt, but I'm lost in Photoshop. The art and seps are all done, I just want to know the setting to get the most out of the RIP, should I be setting the RIP to "55LPI Proof" for my film? Cadlink doesn't seem to have tech support unless you have a dongle # or activation #, which makes it tough to know I'm using it right.

I hope some of you guys can help me out.

cheers,
jon

PM me your number and I'll call you!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 09:59:57 PM »
A BIG shout out to Pierre for taking a long time on the phone to get me pointed in the right direction!

Many ..........many films later and endless $%#@ing around with the setting I'm finally getting down to the nuts and bolts where what I input makes changes to what is output!

Why can't they make a simple RIP for us screenprinters that doesn't have multiple levels of settings layered upon each other with many of the buttons and controls having no clear meaning and so little in the way of descriptions available.

One thing that is apparent is that my Epson 3000 is not in perfect shape, but I'm now happy with the film that is coming out of it and will explore a new Epson soon.

Jon
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 10:32:58 AM »
A BIG shout out to Pierre for taking a long time on the phone to get me pointed in the right direction!

Many ..........many films later and endless $%#@ing around with the setting I'm finally getting down to the nuts and bolts where what I input makes changes to what is output!

Why can't they make a simple RIP for us screenprinters that doesn't have multiple levels of settings layered upon each other with many of the buttons and controls having no clear meaning and so little in the way of descriptions available.

One thing that is apparent is that my Epson 3000 is not in perfect shape, but I'm now happy with the film that is coming out of it and will explore a new Epson soon.

Jon

Jon,

if you are looking for a very simple to use RIP check out the AccuRIP. It is designed to be transparent and has significantly less settings to play with. While I do like the FM better, ARt is still a great product and serves many print shops very well. They do offer a trial version so you can compare the two.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 11:30:32 PM »
Thanks again Pierre, Film maker is behaving itself nicely now. I do know I'm going to need a new Epson 3000 soon as mine is not printing 100% cleanly even after a good cleaning/servicing.... Maybe 95% at best

Spending a dozen hours ripping films and tossing them taught me a lot and i now have a better understanding of the rip and it's functions, and more-so how the different settings (and the same settings in different areas) over-ride each other.

Cheers,
jon
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 10:55:19 AM »
ink, I have got one I wll sell you.  I am putting a new head in it shortly and it's got a full 4 color bulk ink system.  I can even send you the leftover ink I have.
Thanks,
Brad

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 03:17:13 PM »
Wow really! Let me know how much you want for it, I'm definitely interested!

jon
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 03:34:18 PM »
I'll make it easy to remember, an Epson 3000 for $3,000!  ;)

I'd let all of it go for $400.  That includes a fresh black print head, a 4 color bulk system and about 2.5 gallons of ink.  The color head prints fine.  I am replacing the black one.  I wouldn't use the black ink that it comes with, I would use the stuff from inkjetcarts.us  that is what I use in the other printer and it works great...no issues at all.

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 11:44:09 PM »
If you're buying a new printer anyway, why not pick up some newer technology too?  I bought a 4880 for close to 1k after the 3000 pissed me off for the last time. 

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 12:27:28 AM »
That's one thing I was just perusing for used locally out of curiousity. Although I have to say if I'm upgrading I may want to go to 24" wide off the roll. I guess I'd be looking for a 7700/7890/7900 for that though?

Anybody have input?
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 12:53:01 AM »
That 3000 was just painfully slow.  I bought the 4880 new with some insane Epson coupon ($500 off, or around that), that might also be something to look into. 

24" wide, that's a big print!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 09:23:06 AM »
there are some advantages to the 3000.  1 is you can run it with just black.  if you look around you can still get bulk systems, but they are getting harder to find.  you can also run cheaper ink and cheaper film.

They are workhorses.  I don't have issues with mine since I started sending everything through the rip.  I used to print regular films out through the printer drivers and that was a bad choice.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 10:14:21 PM »

They are workhorses.  I don't have issues with mine since I started sending everything through the rip.  I used to print regular films out through the printer drivers and that was a bad choice.

I will concur that they are mules, they don't seem to clog up either.

Can you expand on why printing through the print driver is a bad idea?

Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 07:14:57 AM »
i had a lot more problems with the thing freezing and printing blank pages.  Through the RIP I have zero problems.

Let me know if you are interested in my printer.  I can get the head installed this week and get it out the door.

Here is the bulk ink system I have...(but the 4 color one at the bottom of the page)
http://www.squaredot.com/neverend/neverend.html

I use a different ink than standard Epson ink and the sucker really sings with that.