Author Topic: Finally got my stuff!  (Read 5602 times)

Offline Bsurb

• Verified/Junior
Finally got my stuff!
« on: June 15, 2012, 01:59:24 PM »
i found a lady and her husband selling their screen press equipment.... i got everything for $450.... pictured below.

it is the semi-pro model press on ryonet for $999.99..

4/1 press, flash dryer, the screen exposure stand, 4 or 5 squeegees, white ink, palet paper, emulsion scoop cover, 10 wood frames, 3 different size platens..

does anybody know where i should get the ink and chemicals?? i really need someone to help me get started... ( or recommend where to buy my inks)

here are pictures below...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Finally got my stuff!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 02:16:16 PM »
Welcome to the industry, and to this forum in particular.

To answer your supply question, first off, who are your local distributors? They are often your first source of help and information (though that has declined in recent years).

The one thing that I can tell you right off the bat is that almost everyone nowadays will tell you to avoid the spray adhesive and replace it with a brush-on/roll-on water based version (similar to white glue that stays tacky)

Next, you will need to learn how to coat and expose screens.
Then, print a single dark color on a light shirt.
Then, perhaps white on a dark shirt.
Then, multiple colors on a light, and then dark shirt.

Each of these six things has it's own learning curve and is part of the journey.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 02:18:34 PM »
COOL and welcome aboard!

It looks like you are off to a good start. Many ppl here will gladly help you out. Finding a good supplier is another right move to make, so you are ahead of what many of started with.

Where are you located? Having a local supplier that is willing to help out when in a jam is priceless. Based on your location we can try to match you with somebody. Also, don't forget to check out the guys advertising here. They are all good ppl and are supporting the forum by paying for the banners.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 02:25:22 PM »
Shoot me a pm I will give you a list of who I use, tonight  congratulations and good luck

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
Welcome.
Shoot with the questions, there are plenty of people willing to answer them.

BTW, previous owners lovet to print the palets instead of the shirts  ;)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 02:44:11 PM »
Welcome.

Or used really thin shirts.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 03:14:22 PM »
Welcome.

Or used really thin shirts.

or cinderblocks for hands lol

Offline Bsurb

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 06:17:58 PM »
thanks for the replies yall... i got the uv exposure light to work that the kit came with... the people said it didnt have a bulb but i looked up inside it today and the bulb was sitting in a unopened box lol..

i am lacking chemicals right now... and emulsion. i want to start printing asap lol just practicing. also prepping a screen and cleaning off the screens i want to do....

what do i need to have to get the old emulsion and old ink that they left on it?

my location is OCALA, FLORIDA..

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
Okay, so step one, assuming that these screens still have a little tension and life left in them is, like you say, remove the existing emulsion. (assuming that all ink is gone already)
For those with ink still in them, you will want an Ink Degrader which allows you to spray, brush, and rinse, or a Press Wash which is wiped up with rags or paper towels. Looks like you have some sort of ink cleaner with that PlastiWipe or whatever it is.

You then need emulsion remover, and though there are many, they all are pretty much the same. Some are concentrated as much as 20/1 which helps if being shipped.

A pressure washer is pretty much a necessity for this (probably why they're not reclaimed)

In a pinch, folks have been known to take them and the reclaim chemical to a coin operated cart wash.

The liquid is generally sprayed or a little poured on, and spread with a scrub brush, both sides.
Allow to work for a minute of two, then, scrub some more, and with luck, the old emulsion will dissolve and be a fairly easy rinse. Usually, it's a little more stubborn,  and the pressure washer will show its worth.

Only do a few at a time, and never, ever let the reclaim liquid dry on the screen. Once it starts to do its thing and then dries, the emulsion can really lock in.

Hopefully, someone in your area can suggest a good supplier. Otherwise, as suggested, we have some advertisers here not far from you via UPS or however they ship.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 07:05:15 PM by Frog »

Offline Bsurb

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »
i have the bottle of albatross it says it gets rid of plastisol inks.. is that what i should be using??

does it go in a squirt bottle? and where do you recommend getting the scrub brush and bottles? can i just go to walmart or something like that??

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 07:10:59 PM »
I assume that since this was included with your dirty screens, Plastisol is what the last folks used. You may want to spray the cleaner
The white you have is plastisol, and yes, it's a good place to start.

I just pour a little and wipe with towels to clean.

I spray my remover from a generic spray bottle, and then use a standard scrub brush from the grocery or hardware store.
Many use scrub pads which even many suppliers handle.

Offline Bsurb

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 07:17:34 PM »
so that plastisol ink remover in that large container i have.... i can put it in any squirt bottle?? i thought chemicals you have to put them in a certain squirt bottle so they dont eat away or anything?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 07:24:29 PM »
It's your call. Some spray bottle valves certainly seem to hold up better than others, but I just use the gallon jug for my ink wash. Just be careful and only pour out enough to wet a towel or two. Gloves are a must here as well. I think that the last nitrile ones I got have held up for a couple of years, but in a pinch, I have even used plastic bags and rubber band bracelets.

The reclaim liquid, I dilute in a standard spray bottle.

Offline Bsurb

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 07:30:45 PM »
ok cool ill leave that stuff in the jug its in....

now what about setting up a dark room? if i set it up in my room.... what kind of light can i get?? where do i get it??

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 07:48:55 PM »
Read through the screen making section, and find the thread on how dark you need it. There is a slight bone of contention as to what seemingly works fine and what is ideal.
Many of us keep our coated screens in light proof boxes, and work in subdued or yellow filtered light.
It could, in a pinch, be a room used otherwise, with just the lesser light used when coating or handling coated screens.
Ideally, separate room with filtered air would be nice.
Otherwise, the one thing to remember is to, if possible, separate your screen storage from the room in which you do your wet work.