Author Topic: parody designs  (Read 4697 times)

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
parody designs
« on: July 17, 2012, 12:40:31 PM »
How far do you have to take a copyrighted design to make it a legal parody for comic vaule?  I know you can do this with music (see Weird Al).  I ask this because there has been a surge of bands using sports teams logos and simply replacing the sports team name with their band's name. Skateboarding graphics has been ripping off brand logos for years since the early 80's.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:45:36 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: parody designs
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 01:05:20 PM »
How far do you have to take a copyrighted design to make it a legal parody for comic vaule?  I know you can do this with music (see Weird Al).  I ask this because there has been a surge of bands using sports teams logos and simply replacing the sports team name with their band's name. Skateboarding graphics has been ripping off brand logos for years since the early 80's.

Good question. Keep in mind I am pretty sure World Industries got sued when they started doing all of the cartoon characters.

Not that it makes it legal or illegal, but most punk rock bands will probably never make it onto anyone's radar.

I'm interested to here Dot Tone's (and others) answer.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 01:34:43 PM »
Didn't Falwell vs Flynt define parody as "reasonable expectation" as in I don't think anyone looking at a Chicago Bears head
with the band name"Turd Vomit" imposed over it would reasonably expect it to represent da' Bears.

Could be wrong though.

Offline prozyan

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »
Parody has to involve . . . well, parody.  Taking a known logo and slapping a different name on it isn't parody, its rebranding, which is illegal.

The above example with the Bears and "Turd Vomit" is illustrative of this.  No one in their right mind could connect how an image of the Bears labelled as "Turd Vomit" could be a parody of the Bears.  That would be infringement, plain and simple.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 02:35:55 PM »
Parody has to involve . . . well, parody.  Taking a known logo and slapping a different name on it isn't parody, its rebranding, which is illegal.

The above example with the Bears and "Turd Vomit" is illustrative of this.  No one in their right mind could connect how an image of the Bears labelled as "Turd Vomit" could be a parody of the Bears.  That would be infringement, plain and simple.

Right, a parody of that logo would be better served with a change of spelling, and promoting a group of nudists. Da Bares!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 03:11:27 PM »
FOr a quick review, see previous post on Parody.

http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,4119.0.html
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline prozyan

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 03:16:20 PM »
Didn't Falwell vs Flynt define parody as "reasonable expectation"

This is true, but doesn't exactly apply to copyright images.  The case you point out was more about the 1st amendment than copyright.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 03:19:17 PM »
  As a matter of fact, I saw an in-depth interview with Weird Al and he DOES have permission
(or his label / manager) from every copyright holder. He even mused that somewhere there is
a piece of paper with Michael Jackson's signature next to his.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 03:31:50 PM »
I know it's not exactly applicable, I just wanted to bring up Flynt.

His "phuck this court" shirt inspired me to make a "phuck this bar" shirt when
my band was playing shitty bars.

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 03:38:10 PM »

Good question. Keep in mind I am pretty sure World Industries got sued when they started doing all of the cartoon characters.

Not that it makes it legal or illegal, but most punk rock bands will probably never make it onto anyone's radar.

So did Blind Skateboards, I had the first Jason Lee Pro Model with the cat in the hat.  They sued and he actually put the cat in the hat on the next model, had that one too.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 03:48:50 PM »

So did Blind Skateboards, I had the first Jason Lee Pro Model with the cat in the hat.  They sued and he actually put the cat in the hat on the next model, had that one too.

Pretty sure the cat actually in the hat graphic was the "mini" model but I could be wrong.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 03:56:22 PM »
this was my favorite from back in the day  Jeremy Klein

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 05:40:39 PM »

Pretty sure the cat actually in the hat graphic was the "mini" model but I could be wrong.

Absolutely correct sir!

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 05:51:20 PM »
this was my favorite from back in the day  Jeremy Klein

How old are you, we seem to have the same past.  Skateboards and Music and now Screenprinting!  Weird.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 12:11:02 AM »
I was a big fan of the Jason Lee Burger King model.