Author Topic: OYO Techstyler  (Read 5853 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
OYO Techstyler
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:52:14 PM »
Anyone here using one of the newer OYO Techstyler?
I read the older models did not hold up to expectations. Apparently the newer models are better build and more trouble free?
Just asking since my Epson printer is anything else then working trouble free I`m considering going OYO.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
Re: OYO Techstyler
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 10:19:35 PM »
I have an old techstyler and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I use the premium plus film. It is the exact same film but with an extra charge per roll to extend the warranty. I was going out of register after 2 -3 rolls of film last year. One of the techs there noticed I called about the same issue a couple of times and had me send the thing in. They did something and it runs even better than before. The cost of operating is way more than the epson but having little to no down time is a beautiful thing.
Call me if you want any details.
Matt
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 11:07:57 PM »
bad idea, super expensive to run.  I used one for 13 years, it works great, but when there is problems, get out your pocket book.  when the head goes bad, AND IT WILL GO BAD, IF YOU CAN GET A REPLACEMENT, its 5 grand!  Sometimes I would have to wait 3-4 months on a new head.  The quality of my Epson 4900 is just as good and 999999999999999999999999 times cheaper.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 09:11:54 PM »
It's now in the super expensive paper weight category.

It was a great machine in it's day, I  used them for years, but as was said.. if the head goes bad you're up shits creek to replace it, IF they happen to have one.

The newer ink jets have a higher resolution anyway for 1/8 the cost and you have a broader ranges of choices for inkjet films.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
It's now in the super expensive paper weight category.

It was a great machine in it's day, I  used them for years, but as was said.. if the head goes bad you're up shits creek to replace it, IF they happen to have one.

The newer ink jets have a higher resolution anyway for 1/8 the cost and you have a broader ranges of choices for inkjet films.
Newer ink jets as in the Epson Stylus 4000-4900?
Since I started using AcuRip with our Epson 4000 we deal with blocked nozzles on a regular bases and error messages that the print head is overheating. And that head was just replaced a year ago.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 04:49:45 PM »
Even the 4000 is now in the paperweight category and has been famous for clogging heads.

I got my 4000 for $150 bucks and deal with head clogs all the time.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 07:35:38 PM »
Even the 4000 is now in the paperweight category and has been famous for clogging heads.

So which model do you think is the one to get. I read the 4900 is fairly nice.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »

It's a great machine that I believe they now have all-black carts for. Not sure if they have the re-fill-able ones yet as Epson holds the re-set chip codes for a duration to force you to buy EOM carts at full price. If I had the money, I'd think about a new 4900.

I know for a fact you can find re-fill carts for the 4880 which is the newest under the 4900 and can be had for a deal if you keep looking at craigs or fleabay.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 08:33:15 PM »

It's a great machine that I believe they now have all-black carts for. Not sure if they have the re-fill-able ones yet as Epson holds the re-set chip codes for a duration to force you to buy EOM carts at full price. If I had the money, I'd think about a new 4900.

I know for a fact you can find re-fill carts for the 4880 which is the newest under the 4900 and can be had for a deal if you keep looking at craigs or fleabay.
Just bought a 4880 recently but it`s still sitting in the box until my 4000 is failing completely. Which is about now. For some reasons I`m not having too much hope for the 4880 either but it was cheap. The guys at filmdirect recommended to use the 4900 only with one black cartridge to get the best results. Wish there would be some alternatives to Epson though.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 10:44:18 PM »

Just bought a 4880 recently but it`s still sitting in the box until my 4000 is failing completely. Which is about now. For some reasons I`m not having too much hope for the 4880 either but it was cheap. The guys at filmdirect recommended to use the 4900 only with one black cartridge to get the best results. Wish there would be some alternatives to Epson though.

Then you're all set. They, epson, worked out the bugs in the heads and the clogging issues are all but gone with the 4880's. I'm sure a bunch here on the board will back me up when I say it's the new workhorse of the industry for film production. It's fast, roll fed, auto cuts and will use dye or pigments inks. Using a single black works just fine for a film machine. They, accu-rip, recommend using all black carts as that way the heads will never clog. Use just a single black cart and fill the other carts with refill fluid, it's kind of like a windex mix, i buy it for $15 per 32oz bottle. This will help keep the other print heads lubed up and clog free. You can buy re-fill ink, i like to use Jet-Black ink ($125 for a 32 oz bottle) ** I used to buy it from Netemagine but they are now owned by Ryonet and basicly dropped the line of jet black inks. it's a dye based ink and has a very high UV blocking ability that I've been using for years with other shops. This ink and film combo I used allowed me to print and hold a 3% dot on my 280 screens.

I'd chuck the 4000 and make that your backup machine and start using the 4880.

Edit.. found the ink on ryonet.. Of course they raised the price and it's not the real jet black ink ::) http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/product/BLKLITER
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:51:17 PM by jsheridan »

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 12:00:45 AM »

Then you're all set. They, epson, worked out the bugs in the heads and the clogging issues are all but gone with the 4880's. I'm sure a bunch here on the board will back me up when I say it's the new workhorse of the industry for film production. It's fast, roll fed, auto cuts and will use dye or pigments inks. Using a single black works just fine for a film machine. They, accu-rip, recommend using all black carts as that way the heads will never clog. Use just a single black cart and fill the other carts with refill fluid, it's kind of like a windex mix, i buy it for $15 per 32oz bottle. This will help keep the other print heads lubed up and clog free. You can buy re-fill ink, i like to use Jet-Black ink ($125 for a 32 oz bottle) ** I used to buy it from Netemagine but they are now owned by Ryonet and basicly dropped the line of jet black inks. it's a dye based ink and has a very high UV blocking ability that I've been using for years with other shops. This ink and film combo I used allowed me to print and hold a 3% dot on my 280 screens.

I'd chuck the 4000 and make that your backup machine and start using the 4880.

Edit.. found the ink on ryonet.. Of course they raised the price and it's not the real jet black ink ::) http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/product/BLKLITER

Cheers, that sounds very reassuring. Will give that beauty a go this week. Right now I have some dye black which I bought from filmdirect.

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 08:45:41 AM »
4900 does have refillables available, I am about to buy the set.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »
4900 does have refillables available, I am about to buy the set.

Awesome! Last time I checked my cart guys, he was still waiting for the reset codes to release.

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 02:53:27 PM »
inkjetcarts.us