Author Topic: Roller Squeegee Video  (Read 14678 times)

Offline Action1

Roller Squeegee Video
« on: August 31, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »
Attention TSB Members - you are the very first to see the results of our months of development of the Roller Squeegee.

Just in - the first video of the Roller squeegee being used. In the video - The Roller squeegee is being used for smoothing. There is a very distinct difference in the quality of the print when the smoothing station is employed.

See The Before shot from 1 to 7 seconds.

The after shot is best seen at 1.23 - ( the money shot ).
 Roller squeegee seen at .43

The screen used with the roller squeegee has a piece of Teflon Film spray tacked to the print side of the mesh. When the roller squeegee  pushes the teflon film against the recently flashed image, the print becomes glass smooth with no fibers sticking up and much better clarity. The recently flashed ink does not stick to the Teflon film and there is no mesh pop. No ink was transferred to the film.

The Teflon Film is 18" x 24" and will last a very long time. Smoothing stations are being used by the many of the best known printers to produce a product with an enhanced hand and appearance.

2012-08-30_09-44-14_512.mp4

The Teflon film and a  16" Roller Squeegee are now available for use on all machines.
 Get a 12" and 16" for $395

Action Engineering, Inc.
800/228-4668
770/934-1584
actionengineering.com
sales@actionengineering.com

Offline dave58

Re: Roller Squeegee Video
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 10:23:26 AM »
nice idea
Down with Anarchy

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 10:29:06 AM »
There is no actual before and after shot showing? In the very beginning you show the shirt before it is printed a second time on the white head followed immediately by the flash and then the roller.
"No man is an island"

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 10:52:08 AM »
I am curious as to why they are not running the smoothing station after the initial base screen. That is where you get the most benefit from it. We run a smoothing screen on all our darks that require a base and it is directly after the first flash. That is where you have to get your fibers back into the shirt.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 11:23:09 AM »
I am curious as to why they are not running the smoothing station after the initial base screen. That is where you get the most benefit from it. We run a smoothing screen on all our darks that require a base and it is directly after the first flash. That is where you have to get your fibers back into the shirt.

Good point!
"No man is an island"

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 11:31:19 AM »
I'm sure my friend Eric will respond but this was developed for a number of purposes and you are of course free to use it as you wish. Eric if you let me borrow one I will try using it to apply distressed foil inline.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »
I think its a great idea and has a lot of cool uses. I like the fact that the impact on the screen that you are using as the smoothing screen will have less stress on the emulsion and the mesh allowing that screen to stay on press a lot longer.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Action1

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 11:55:17 AM »
I am awaiting a reply from the gentleman who provided the clip regarding their setup.

Moments ago -

UPS brought the with and without samples that were ran during the test. There's a very obvious improvement to the quality of the prints. We therefore guarantee that this product works for the smoothing application claimed here.  We will provide a full refund plus pay freight to get it back if you do not see the value after it is used.

Action Engineering
Erik Naftal

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 12:29:10 PM »
Nice idea put that suckers high dollar for me, I,m guessing the ink needs to be tacky just a bit?

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Action1

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 01:07:40 PM »
Nice idea put that suckers high dollar for me, I,m guessing the ink needs to be tacky just a bit?

Darryl

The price is $225 for the 16" with a piece of .020" thick Teflon - 18" x 24" - All machines.

If you decide that it's value isn't there and want to send it back - we will accept it for full refund plus pay the freight to retrieve it. We re convinced that you will see the value when it's used.

Offline brianbrownlee

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 05:07:27 PM »
Hi
I'm the guy that shot the video and just want to apologize for the misleading video clip.  UPS brought me the roller and I threw it up on the press right away to test it.  I shot some video and rushed to send it to Action before getting a chance to review it.  I will shoot a better video as soon as I can that shows exactly how this roller works.

I was doing some testing for a major apparel company a while back to help them get a smooth finish on some really nasty fabric.  The fabric was a poly/cotton blend that was very soft but felt like sandpaper when printed.  I used a smoothing screen after the first down white, right after a hot flash when the ink was still in a gel state.  I used a 400 micron cap film that was exposed with no image burned on it and put clear base and a 90 duro squeegee in.  This worked good but there was some sticking on the smoothing screen.  The cap film softened after the long run and the heat eventually caused the clear base to gel.

When I got the new roller from Action, I applied the teflon sheet that Erik supplied me with double sided tape and stuck it on an old screen. I had and had no sticking what so ever.  The roller works best when using it after the first white to push the fibers down.  It can be used on the second white, other colors, or whatever.  I got much better results with the roller than I did using a squeegee and cap film screen.  I'm excited to try it with some texture papers, high solids water based, foil etc.  I will get better video to you guys soon.

Thanks
Brian
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 05:15:34 PM by brianbrownlee »

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 06:25:25 PM »
...Brownlee!!!  8)

...this is the guy that got into my first screen printing job over 20 years ago. I dont think I have forgiven him yet, so lets make sure to give him a REAL hard time.... ;D

...great to have ya here, BB!
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 07:13:53 PM »
Two cheers and a tiger for me ...mooseman guessed it,
so do i win a new auto or did the sister-in-law of the contest sponsor win it?

The only thing i can think of is it is used as some sort of post process treatment , flattening  something like flock or better yet FOIL onto a tee shirt.
Other than that I would guess Action picked the wrong blog to post .
Ok Action guys GIVE IT UP......WASSUP

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 08:03:34 PM »
the heat eventually caused the clear base to gel.

And this reason alone is why the product is a good idea and needed. I've swapped out a many smoothing screens with dried ink to know theirs a better way to do this. I'd thought of a roller or something like this, great to see some innovation.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 08:14:15 PM »
the heat eventually caused the clear base to gel.

And this reason alone is why the product is a good idea and needed. I've swapped out a many smoothing screens with dried ink to know theirs a better way to do this. I'd thought of a roller or something like this, great to see some innovation.

Why don't you use grease in the screen instead of the ink. Grease will not cure (you can even get food grade grease - water based for those water base jobs, LOL). If your afraid of break down of the emulsion then just tape the print side of the screen. No need for a roller squeegee.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:18:19 PM by Screened Gear »