Author Topic: A Quick slide show on how to use Pallet Paper  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Prōdigium

• Something New Is Coming.....Prōdigium
A Quick slide show on how to use Pallet Paper
« on: June 05, 2011, 02:03:11 AM »
Its seems so obvious to the shops who use pallet paper everyday, but for someone who is new to the printing business you may not realize how a simple product like this can save not only countless hours every week, but also extend the life of your pallets and remove any need for stinky, hazardous cleaning solvents at the same time.

What I am talking about is a product called Pallet Paper...available by clicking here, and all it simply does is cover your printing pallets with a protective layer of adhesive backed paper for your to apply your spray tack to, when its dirty you simply replace it as shown.

Dirty Pallet

Remove Old Paper

Place Down New Layer

Trim Edges With X-acto Blade.

Place Tape On front Edge To Hold When Loading

Fresh New Pallet In No Time At All!!

Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
Re: A Quick slide show on how to use Pallet Paper
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 04:58:08 AM »
Secret weapon for smooth pallet tape:

THE BRAYER!

Picked up a couple of these from Goodwill for a dollar. You can find them at art supply stores.

Excellent for quickly and thoroughly smoothing down pallet tape, (get the bubbles out!)

Also works great for burnishing mesh protection tape on new frames.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Prōdigium

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 08:27:42 AM »
I have never needed the use of any tools to apply a smooth layer of pallet paper....that being said I have also used pallet paper in my printing days for well over 15 years and have simply got so good at it that I can change the paper on an 8-color automatic in about 10 minutes or less.

But if the tool works for ya , have at it. I have found that any small air pockets are usually squelched out on the first few test prints..at least on an automatic press. It still amazes me to this day that people refuse to use pallet paper and think its too expensive, or time consuming. Some basic math and a reasonable value of your "time" would clearly prove pallet paper to be a no brainer.....another big PLUS if you are prone to scorching pallets under the flash dryer is that the paper will smell bad BEFORE you do much damage to your pallet.  ;)
Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 10:29:38 AM »
And yet another opinion (nice to see you by the way Lance) We use a putty knife, but other things would work. We simply draw a few inches off the back edge of the platen, burnish it down with hand or putty knife. Pull the roll towards you until an inch or so is beyond the platen. A quick swipe with the putty knife to cut the paper (nice and straight). Take the roll of paper and set it on the back of the platen where the paper was rubbed down. Draw the roll over the platen to smooth it out and adhere it.  Wrap the edges under the platen. No cutting or taping. This is a slight variation from what we used to do, but picked up from a friend. Two people on an 16 color press takes about 4 minutes to apply. (peeling the old crap is another story!)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 09:37:52 PM by bimmridder »
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Prōdigium

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 10:40:38 AM »
Two people on an 16 color press takes about 4 minutes to apply. (peeling the old crap is another story!)

A simple trick to solve that problem is to lay down a "permanent" base layer of pallet paper on your pallets with the edges taped nice and cleanly. Draw your center lines or any other patterns you like on that layer. Then apply your 'production' pallet paper on top. When you go to change your paper, you will notice a HUGE difference in how easy it is to remove and if you use center lines as I do, you will never have to redraw them on your pallets again.  ;)

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 11:21:52 AM »
Correct, Lance. Laying multiple layers is the way to go, but when you decide to take the very first piece off, it takes a lot longer. Don't use any markings here though. Thanks for mentioning what was routine to me.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 11:41:26 AM »
And yet another opinion (nice to see you by the way Lance) We use a putty knife, but other things would work. We simply draw a few inches off the back edge of the platen, burnish it down with hand or putty knife. Pull the roll towards you until an inch or so is beyond the platen. A quick swipe with the pussy knife to cut the paper (nice and straight). Take the roll of paper and set it on the back of the platen where the paper was rubbed down. Draw the roll over the platen to smooth it out and adhere it.  Wrap the edges under the platen. No cutting or taping. This is a slight variation from what we used to do, but picked up from a friend. Two people on an 16 color press takes about 4 minutes to apply. (peeling the old crap is another story!)

I am not even going to ask about this.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 11:50:06 AM »
Man, a set-up like that is like pu**y in your hands, eh?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 07:22:26 PM »
Gotta say, that is a great name for an all-girl punk band.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 11:25:04 AM »
hey Evo, wasnt that your nickname in highschool??... ;D
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!