Author Topic: Favorite place for printing information?  (Read 1740 times)

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Favorite place for printing information?
« on: November 21, 2012, 10:29:47 AM »
Not counting the greatest forum in screen printing world (here) where do you go to find answers about screen printing and stay current with what the industry is doing?
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Favorite place for printing information?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 10:30:38 AM »
the mall.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 10:32:14 AM »
The mall ? For what's hot ??
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 10:34:14 AM »
Other printers, sales people and techs via phone and email.

Homer's reference to the Mall must be to see the obviously popular trends (at least what's moving in common, popular retail)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 11:55:51 AM »
yup. it's where most kids buy their clothes right? but what do i know.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 01:21:40 PM »
yup. it's where most kids buy their clothes right? but what do i know.

Bingo!

Want to know what's hot right now.. hit the local mall on a fri-sat night and sit back and watch the fashion parade.

Stuck in the shop all day..tune the tv to mtv or other teen/young adult reality programming for the latest trends.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 02:09:23 PM »
But where do you go for new techniques and product info?
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 02:35:19 PM »
Even though I write for them the trades are shrinking to less than an eight of an inch. I would say T shows though attendance is shrinking both exhibitors and attendees.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 03:01:55 PM »
I like talking to other shops via email, phone and even text.  I'm lucky that I have quite a few people on speed dial that if I have an hour I can listen for that hour and soak up solid gold info.  I like Murakami's website, Kiwo and Ulano don't have as much tech info as Murakami, or I haven't found it at least.   Some of the other forums might have a nugget here or there but it's getting extremely rare these days.  I've even done searches on the old SP.net board and spent hours looking and reading good info.  I try to find articles from trade rags past and I've probably read hundreds of them over the past year.  That's actually one of my favorite things to do when we are slow.  Fire up the old google machine and start putting in the search words and see what pops out.  I will read anything that is pertaining to screen printing on textiles from just about anybody.  There are a few guys who write that I'm particularly interested in and even articles written by people I've never heard of have benefitted us.  I can tell early on in the article whether or not it's worth my time or if I know more about the subject than what's being written, and there is a lot of good stuff out there.  I know there is tons left that I haven't read that aren't available on the web and are only on a print copy, especially those mags from the 90's and early 2000's. 

When I find a good article, I print it out right then and get to it when I can if I can't read it on the monitor and if I am able to read it right away, I still print it out and file it in my desk.  I have a lot of articles in the desk that I'll go back and look at from time to time.  I like to find articles that my crew can get something out of as well and when I see we have some downtime I'll give it to them and then do a pop quiz afterwards...just kidding, I'm not that big of a screen print nerd, but pretty close.

I think Joe Clarke's Control without Confusion is a must read.  Saati has a really good handbook on printing, it covers a ton of stuff and not just mesh.  I've heard from Joe that M&R used to have a really comprehensive "bible" about screen printing which I'd love to get my hands on.  I've read the one from Fresener and despite the huge number of printers that swear by it, I do not.  I guess it can be used today and have validity but I still respect those who recommend it to newbs.

I'm sure something wil pop up that I forgot and I'll post it if it comes to mind.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 03:04:19 PM »
I'd say classes at the shows are a good start. Magazines do have some good info every and then.
You can also check the manufacturers. Most of them have White Papers on the product they make. There is a lot of technical info available from them.

And finally, consultants. I think they have been the best source of info so far. While a lot of it was confirmation of what we were doing, it was priceless when it comes to the confidence needed to pursue the correct processes.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 04:16:25 PM »
Alan, a note about Scott F's "How to Print" book.  Experienced screen printers may get very little out of it, but an absolute no-nothing newbie, (think some of the frustrating calls or emails you get from seeming idiot prospective clients) would get quite a leg up on others at the same level by reading it.

We don't get too many absolute beginners here, but of those we do, you can tell who did a little basic reading first, just by their early questions.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 04:47:23 PM »
I know for me trade magazines and other printers are biggies. I find a lot of the books are all pretty basic. I can't wait to read Tonys stuff.
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com