Author Topic: inexpensive exhaust hood for 36 in wide dryers  (Read 3514 times)

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
inexpensive exhaust hood for 36 in wide dryers
« on: November 28, 2012, 02:08:50 PM »
Check out this pic. I found a 42" wide broan range hood that fits and works perfect on the catch side of our heat wave 36" dryer. It has a built in fan and light with 8" exhaust port on the top to attach pipe or hose. It's light enough that I took the exit door of the dryer off, flipped it over, and attached the hood to that door so that we didn't have to peirce the outter layer of the dryer. It looks like it's going to work perfect for catching smoke. $69 with free shipping, not to shabby!

Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: inexpensive exhaust hood for 36 in wide dryers
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 02:13:35 PM »
That's a great deal. I have something similar and paid the manufacture $250 for it. It doesn't have a light or fan. The light would be cool.

Can you post here you got it?

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 02:23:08 PM »
I almost had a sheet metal shop make one custom and it was going to be almost 300 plus fan ect. Now i know the fan in it might not be the best and last that long, but then again it's made to suck air over a stove with steam and grease and those tend to hang in there for a while. So we will see how long that lasts. I have a few inline duct fans sitting around so if and when the fan goes. I'll yank it out and put an inline fan down the line somewhere, but all and all, I thought it was a good deal. Hope it can help others out looking to catch stank smoke from their catcher end.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 02:48:40 PM »
I just had a inline fan go bad this last week. The lint just destroys them. Mine was rated for 250 CFM. It did a ok job. I have a 750 CFM on on order. More power!

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 02:55:47 PM »
you totally stole my patent pending idea... :) Im going to do that to both ends of my dryer.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 02:59:05 PM »
I told I think Shawn about doing that years ago on his old dryer, you might even want to install an extra fan...oven hoods work great for that, lol but I think thats what they were meant for for anyway.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 03:03:17 PM »
is it used at 69 clams?

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 03:18:48 PM »
My bad, I checked the invoice, it was actually $63 after shipping, so $63 total, got it in 4 days.

Screengear--- I am going to use the grease filter that is in it and put a piece of cut t-shirt material over it to change every so often, we do that on all of our fan intakes on equipment, keeps the dust out and allows the air to flow with no prob.

3Deep---- adding a fan down the line is probably a good idea, better to have more flow and catch all that stank smoke from discharge prints. Here is a link direct to the place we got it from.

http://www.ventingdirect.com/broan-4242d-42-under-cabinet-range-hood-with-damper-included/p1025285?source=trm_OrderConfirmation_VentingDirect.com_p1025285

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 03:24:13 PM »

Screengear--- I am going to use the grease filter that is in it and put a piece of cut t-shirt material over it to change every so often, we do that on all of our fan intakes on equipment, keeps the dust out and allows the air to flow with no prob.

I will have to look into a filter for my next one. Even a simple house Hvac filter from Home depot would work to keep the lint out of the fan.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 03:36:16 PM »
Just wanted to share this inline fan off amazon. $84.99 shipped for 720 CFM

http://www.amazon.com/Output-In-line-Exhaust-Scrubber-Filter/dp/B004OH0DIE/ref=pd_vtp_lg_7

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 03:45:24 PM »
Just wanted to share this inline fan off amazon. $84.99 shipped for 720 CFM

http://www.amazon.com/Output-In-line-Exhaust-Scrubber-Filter/dp/B004OH0DIE/ref=pd_vtp_lg_7

Oh yeah those are nice we have 1 of those in the back on our washout booth to exhaust fumes when re claiming they are really really powerful great fan

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 04:08:53 PM »
Remember that when you add a fan, or increase the size of an existing one, you can reduce the  dryer heat, necessitating a re-evaluation of your usual cure temps and times.
This will probably be more apparent on Electric only dryers.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 04:13:06 PM »
Trust me Frog, if I can get a little extra heat pulled out when we slow our belt down to 1.5 to do discharge printing, we will be better off. Our dryer tends to climb to 400 when we slow our belt down below 2 if shirts stop running through. If we keep a steady flow of shirts, it  holds with no problem at that slow speed, if we have an empty dryer belt it climbs at that slow speed, so a little extra sip might actually help that issue.