Author Topic: a lot of mileage out of 2 or 3 color jobs.  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
a lot of mileage out of 2 or 3 color jobs.
« on: November 30, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »
Indeed different stokes as Dave (Dlac) mentioned.  Here again, are a few limited color jobs I finished up. I don't usually post up all of the work I do, but Dave made a good point. You can get a lot of mileage out of 2 or 3 color jobs.  He shows a good example of great work at limited colors and here are a few that are opposites of his style. Both are well needed in the industry. Neither are really better than the other. Just different strokes as Dave mentioned.

Both of mine make use of blending two or three colors for additional looks. Both of mine require high mesh...for subtle transitions. I would not use anything less than 230 mesh on these but I suggest 305s.

The top one is 3 colors. All very light halftones except on the type outline on black screen. The intent is to let the shirt interact with the print...and a very soft hand.

The 2nd was the biggest bang for the buck. High school boosters needed a low budget job.
Again, 305 mesh suggested. 2 colors. I used the green under the red to darken or add another darker red tone. Used the shirt as white for parts of the art like in the outlines on type, + helps for fast production with that wide negative area of shirt.

I will leave my pricing for when you want to email me for a quote, but it's competitive for what I do and what you get out of that.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: a lot of mileage out of 2 or 3 color jobs.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
Very nice, Dan. I particularly like the Holiday Spectacular. And of course, the shirt becomes the 3rd or 4th color too.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 09:46:27 AM »
When I'm sepping..heck, when I'm designing, I always take the shirt color into consideration.
It's a double-edged sword though, since alot of clients haven't got a clue and figure they can change shirt colors on a whim.
Frustrating, but, it keeps you on your toes.

Still, when they actually listen to the guy making the shirts, us silly artists/printers can come up with some nice work.
 ;)

Nice prints Dan.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 01:07:18 PM »
When I'm sepping..heck, when I'm designing, I always take the shirt color into consideration.
It's a double-edged sword though, since alot of clients haven't got a clue and figure they can change shirt colors on a whim.
Frustrating, but, it keeps you on your toes.

Still, when they actually listen to the guy making the shirts, us silly artists/printers can come up with some nice work.
 ;)

Nice prints Dan.

I always enjoy telling them why it won't work on that new color...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 05:40:05 AM »
I don't enjoy explaining that stuff to them.

'let's move forward on this'.

lol.