Author Topic: Applying Hardener...  (Read 2423 times)

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
Applying Hardener...
« on: December 04, 2012, 04:57:33 PM »
I have read many different methods, but what works best?  A sponge, a rag, a spray bottle?  Is there a point where too much is a problem?  Does reclaim get more difficult with more or less?  Does one product work better than another?   Thanks in advance.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline abchung

• !!!
Re: Applying Hardener...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 08:03:39 PM »
This is what we do.
1. Dip a cloth or sponge into a jar of hardener.
2. Lightly wipe the wet cloth in one direction. Make sure the cloth/sponge is always wet.(Make sure you don't swipe to hard because you don't want any emulsion residue on the image.)
3. Repeat on other side of the screen.
4. Dry the screen (DO NOT DRY IN DIRECT SUN LIGHT.... YOU SCREEN CAN RIP).
5. After drying, get a hose with low press and palm to rinse off the hardener. (HARDENER CAN AFFECT INK QUALITY)
6. Dry the screen and ready to use.

RECLAIMING: It is harder to reclaim hardened screen.
Different products: We use a local brand... Ulano is just too expensive for what we make.

Good Luck.
Anthony

P.S Many people here use wood varnish to make their screen (not frame) last longer.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:38:53 AM »

4. Dry the screen (DO NOT DRY IN DIRECT SUN LIGHT.... YOU SCREEN CAN RIP).

not true!

The hardener is an acid so just use a cheap rag or sponge wet, not dripping. wipe on and let dry.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 09:04:55 AM »
I do as John says and let the screen dry on its own (no fans). The one I use contains sodium hydroxide whch, interestingly enough, is a primary ingredient in burnout ink. No problems with reclaim at all. Curious about the sun comment. Never seen that.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 09:49:49 AM »
I must confess total ignorance on the chemical make-up of hardeners, but find it interesting that there are references to both acid and base (sodium hydroxide).
These are chemical opposites that when mixed in the correct proportions, essentially make water. (a demonstration popular with chemistry teachers)

I do know that hardeners come in different "flavors" from reclaimable-with-not-much-more-effort,  to indestructible-toss-the-mesh-when-through.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 11:01:40 AM »
Pour some on a rag, wipe on, compressed air.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 11:26:57 AM »

+1

I've never applied it to both sides, just squeegee side, but I could see the need on subsequent screens for long runs

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 11:41:13 AM »
Pretty new here to using hardner, but I just wipe it on both sides let it dry under a low fan, reclaiming seem to be pretty easy.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 01:11:03 PM »
What I use has a vaguely Vinegar-like odor. I wipe mine on with the BLUE Paper Towels that are advertized as Shop Towels, since they seem to slough-off less fibers than Bounty or other kitchen paper towels. (Could be my imagination....) I do wipe on both sides, and let air dry, somtimes with a fan but often not.  A hardener with a completely different chemical make up might make my method less than satisfactory.

I do as John says and let the screen dry on its own (no fans). The one I use contains sodium hydroxide whch, interestingly enough, is a primary ingredient in burnout ink. No problems with reclaim at all. Curious about the sun comment. Never seen that.

Tony, do you mind naming the exact product name and/or vendor you use? My supply is running low and although I don't use a lot of it, the supplier which I previously used as a source is out of business.

If you'd rather not (for whatever reason) I would very much appreciate a PM through this forum.

Thanks!
Stan

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 01:31:59 PM »

You want to let it sit wet as long as possible for maximum hardening.

We use Murakami Hardener, slight vinegar like odor, $40 a gallon or so, no complaints.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 03:14:34 PM »
CCI HardenerX Used in conjunction with CCI WR25. It might lock up other emulsions

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 06:36:52 PM »
Murakami MS Hardener (there is also a non-reclaimable 2 part they make, never tried it).

Both sides.

Also use a couple folded up blue shop towels.

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 04:42:29 AM »
CCI HardenerX Used in conjunction with CCI WR25. It might lock up other emulsions

Thanks, Tony. I do use WR 25, so I'll try the Hardener X. I really like that emulsion and currently use it for everything, but I often try others. I keep coming back to WR 25, with Ulano QT Discharge a close 2nd.

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 08:16:36 AM »

Thanks, Tony. I do use WR 25, so I'll try the Hardener X. I really like that emulsion and currently use it for everything. I do try samples from various vendors, but I keep coming back to WR 25, with Ulano QT Discharge a close 2nd.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »
Using WR 25...

1.  How many shirts before you add the hardener?
2.  How long do you let the hardener dry before taping screen?