Author Topic: Bought and Old Hopkins 4/4 Slider Press -- question about parts and assembly...  (Read 5591 times)

Offline sonicweaponprinting

• Verified/Junior
  • Screen Printing and Design from Kansas City, USA
I recently purchased a 4/4/ Hopkins Slider to have as an extra shop backup press but it came disassembled. I put the press together how I figured it went together, however it still felt like the carousels themselves were slightly insecure or were deflecting quite a bit (maybe this is an element of the tapered base design, or the press itself, but feels a bit more deflective than I would expect..)

I linked 3 photos of the spare parts I was given, and two photos of where I assumed the spare washers could go. I really couldn't tell a difference in the feeling wether they were put on top of the carousel, or if they went under the carousels (both the arm carousel and the print head carousels)

I could also just guess maybe this press deflects like a mofo, either way, I contacted Riley Hopkins, Hopkins INTL, and neither could respond .. oh well, time to ask some people who might actually be able to help.

Thanks!

- Shawn @ Sonic Weapon

Offline nobrainsd

Looks like you have an older hopkins press with the lazy susan bearing supporting the two main sections on the outside edges. The bottom plate on the rotating section and the small bearing used aren't strong enough to support all of the stress without that lazy susan bearing. Those are not tight tolerance bearings at all. I owned one of these presses decades ago. Yep, The arms would deflect considerably if you applied a lot of pressure. However, I did not find that to be a big issue when printing as the print arm and platen deflected together when the head was down in the registration gate. Not ideal. But state of the art in it's time and lots of shirts were printed with this style of press. Heck, My Hopkins had the original sliders with no reg adjustment at all (except for a loosened clamp knob and a hammer).

Do check to see that you have everything snug and tight. I don't remember the washer lay out, but I doubt that is the issue and I don't see why it would particularly matter.

More modern Hopkins presses have more robust body and top sections, much bigger central bearings, no lazy susan crap and are just better made. The pics sure make that Hopkins look clean. Hope it does what you need.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:13:55 PM by nobrainsd »

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Heck, mine not only had no micros, but mine were the original steel clamps.

Sure did like the old in-out capability! ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline nobrainsd

Dang Frog, You have me there! I have never even seen a steel clamp hopkins. At least mine were cast. Though I must ask, did you have any registration issues with the platen arm deflection? I really can't say that was an issue for me ( I do think avoiding really stiff inks would help). I bought some of those new fangled roller frames with my 4/4  (the old skinny newmans with the plastic corners) and I made more money off that press than any other I have ever owned.  Some really basic prints, but I was fast as the wind in the early eighties :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:04:29 PM by nobrainsd »

Offline nobrainsd

Had a direct drive hopkins cap printer for that sucker too!

F'n hate caps. Never again.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Dang Frog, You have me there! I have never even seen a steel clamp hopkins. At least mine were cast. Though I must ask, did you have any registration issues with the platen arm deflection? I really can't say that was an issue for me ( I do think avoiding really stiff inks would help). I bought some of those new fangled roller frames with my 4/4  (the old skinny newmans with the plastic corners) and I made more money off that press than any other I have ever owned.  Some really basic prints, but I was fast as the wind in the early eighties :)

I had little to compare my press to when it came to deflection, but no, I don't remember any registration issues. Back then, I never dreamed of wet on wet butt registered jobs though either.
I also had only one station, so I had one less bearing to worry about. I just had to deal with a pallet getting pretty hot pretty quickly.

I also added some aftermarket micros to the press. I think that they were called Bullseye and they came from Antec.

And like you, made a fair amount of coin with that, a four foot Ranar Scamp, and a DIY flash unit.

A bit dated, but Sonicweapon has himself a bit of history that I bet will still help lay some ink down on some shirts.

• Verified/Junior
I definitely picked it up because I had always thought the concept behind the slider was pretty neat. I am psyched to have picked it up, maybe I payed a little too much but I also got a brand new never used UV Bulb expo unit that retails for $480 for $685 (press and expo total). Its basic but can expose my 20x24 frames now in 1/3 my 500 watt homemade singlepoint halogen shoplight vac unit. Its the style w the foam and heavy particle board you load up with weight on top.

Glad this thing it is still loved! Ill post some pics.

• Verified/Junior

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
And without the screw type micros, you will learn the fine art of manually applying the "fine adjustment tool"

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Brings back memories! Forgot about those models.

Offline nobrainsd

The classic Hopkins took a little longer to reg screens  ::), but mine held excellent reg and I often printed wet on wet butt reg jobs on it with my skinny newmans. 

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Those holes in the back of the head clamps, threaded for a very crude, one way micro?

Also, Hopkins was in SF at one time?

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Those things are fun.  I don't think they sell all the parts for the slider heads, but most of the wear items are still available for that press.

The deflection can be a bitch--when I jig up something on a single platen I put a box of paint on the opposite station.  Works like a charm.    ;D

Offline nobrainsd

Not SF,  Hopkins was over in Berkeley. I had a girlfriend in Santa Cruz and I picked her up and we went to a Christmas party at the Hopkins facility. Dinner and a beer. Sure wish I had still had the one color shirt I got to print for myself at the party. Hopkins was all that in the day! The first time I saw a Hopkins press I was stunned. Of course, I was printing with a home made wood 4 color press at the time. Nothing like TSPMB or TSB in those days. Crazy Shirts in Hawaii was all hand made art and manual prints at that time too. Still have shirts from the Crater Festival in Diamond Head that are just beautiful. Screen printing is an art.

Can we get Riley to post on this forum? Anybody in touch with him? The joy stick is not my favorite innovation, but he opened a lot of doors to printers everywhere. Bet he has some stories to tell!

Shouldn't have put so much money into race cars.... :)

Weights on the other side of the press? Why? Truly, wasn't the deflection more or less matched between the the rotating  base and the top section? Really can't remember the reg on the shirt being affected.

Those threaded "micros" were not something that anyone I knew actually used. But a nice touch none the less.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 01:39:14 AM by nobrainsd »

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Last I saw Riley it was in ATL and he had a manual with a self reciprocating dryer running underneath the press. Brilliant! Riley is one of the genuine originals. He and I go back a ways.