Author Topic: Big Thanks  (Read 6558 times)

Offline Baron265

Re: Big Thanks
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 05:54:12 PM »
I have a theory that if you route an infeed extension on the compressor (to a location away from your operating area), that the inconvenience can be lessened.  You would have to step up the diameter by one or two pipe sizes (depending on the length), so as not to restrict the supply. Most of the noise a piston type compressor makes is at the infeed. If you can move the infeed source, you should be able to move most of the noise.

I think the desire here is to remove the noise due to neighbors annoyance more than anything. Ideal garage shop for
me would be a servo/ac press, 10 ft long/60"belt dryer, and a 5hp screw compressor. All single phase of course. that
would be badass.

I concure, that would be a badass set up and the neighbor thing is still there. However there are case where your just trying to improve your quality of life and this might help. Many times printers are looking for the fastest way to get into an auto and printing in the same room with the piston compressor is a reality. Screw type compressors cost more. With a little innovation it may be more palatable.
Paul Schmidt
Regional Manager
Workhorse Products, Inc.
(602)414-3684
pschmidt@workhorseproducts.com

Offline Northland

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 06:11:11 PM »

I have a theory that if you route an infeed extension on the compressor (to a location away from your operating area), that the inconvenience can be lessened.  You would have to step up the diameter by one or two pipe sizes (depending on the length), so as not to restrict the supply. Most of the noise a piston type compressor makes is at the infeed. If you can move the infeed source, you should be able to move most of the noise.
[/quote]

Paul... is that you ??
Are you still with Anatol & in Chicago ?

Offline Baron265

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 06:28:05 PM »

Paul... is that you ??
Are you still with Anatol & in Chicago ?
[/quote]

Hey Bob, Yep it's me. I'm not with Anatol anymore, but I'm still in the Chicago area. How's by you?
Paul Schmidt
Regional Manager
Workhorse Products, Inc.
(602)414-3684
pschmidt@workhorseproducts.com

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 07:43:48 PM »
Hey Rich any thing cool this year for Atlantic City? Hoping to make it down there this year, haven't made it for the last four years.
we always have something worth seeing. Look forward to seeing you there!
Rich Hoffman

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 07:45:58 PM »
That is classic! My Advance Turbo Phoenix dryer lives on it's cut down original pallet with large industrial strength casters installed so I can roll it into position and I have a motorcycle lift to move my 8/8 workhorse when necessary.  Really would like to stop playing Transformers with my garage when I want to print. Very inefficient.

I can fit a press, it's the compressor noise I worry about since I have a small lot. I'm looking into it. Anyone else running a compressor in a garage? PM me please.
believe it or not a lot of the compressor noise can be eliminated by using something like a small car muffler on the intake of a piston compressor. Just a FYI
Rich Hoffman

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 07:47:14 PM »
If they make a single phase screw compressor, it'll be worth every penny.
The hammering sound of piston compressors is just unbearable at times,
especially to neighbors.
Kaiser makes a single phase 5 hp unit and it is extremely quite.
Rich Hoffman

Offline nobrainsd

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 12:19:37 AM »
I feel guilty about hijacking my own thread! I do look forward to Long Beach again next year and I would like to see more TSB members there.

I'm definitely looking into a rotary screw compressor. Would like to insulate and essentially double wall my garage too. My cool neighbor laughed and said if the screen printing doesn't work out I'll have a great grow room. Ha! I have a nice built in screen drying dark room already and an enclosed compressor room with proper air exchange isn't out of the question. As I get a little closer I will be sure to post what I come up with and start a new thread. I am jealous of all those rockin a proper space! Will keep slaving at the manual a little longer.

Inspired by the TSB printers to take on a little more.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:25:16 AM by nobrainsd »