Author Topic: Screen Printing HSB and Color Separations  (Read 18623 times)

AdvancedArtist

Screen Printing HSB and Color Separations
« on: April 12, 2013, 04:07:19 PM »
This is a breakdown of HSB into simple terms that I hope will assist you in your understand of HSB, color and color separations for screen printing.

HSB and Screen Printing

More to come..

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Screen Printing HSB and Color Separations
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 04:45:25 PM »
See now that was a great post. The video was awesome and informative and very interesting. The whole HSB is difficult to grasp for me anyways initially, it's confusing when you say black is your lightness and saturation is your white. Watching another video from you is starting to make sense with those terms.

I applaud the fact that you are basically showing how your software works but I know as well as you should know only some will take the knowledge to do their own manual seps. In general most will purchase your software to automate the process. You have to admit there is a whole lot of clicking and clicking to do before you even get to the int of ripping. It makes sense to offer a macro plug in to make it much quicker, so even teaching people how to do the process manually many if not most will still want the macro you offer.

I your opinion that crayon image you are using in total how many colors would you have that stepped as to keep it as close to the original as possible, and what would you guess what the color count be if it was stepped traditionally as a sim process or index?
"No man is an island"

AdvancedArtist

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 06:54:44 PM »
Hi inkman thanks for the post.. Because of all the color I think you would have all the colors..

Red
Yellow
Green
Cyan
Blue
and Megenta

And of course black and possibly whites depending the on the garment color.

Or if you wanted more vibrancy you would sep colors like the orange, brown and purples and pulls of those color respectively.

For me getting to the hue with the easy black removal was just a game changer. BAM your looking at the color and then you can make analysis about what you would want to do with the separation.

After a while you start to get HSB eyes were you can look at things and see what is going on with the color.

Offline Sparkie

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
Thanks AA for that excellent video. I learned enough about color in that 12+ minute span to make me a bit more dangerous with my inks!
Simple Seps Raster also makes more sense to me now as well.
- Mark

AdvancedArtist

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 10:29:28 PM »
Thanks AA for that excellent video. I learned enough about color in that 12+ minute span to make me a bit more dangerous with my inks!
Simple Seps Raster also makes more sense to me now as well.

Thanks Sparkie based on your post mission accomplished  8)

AdvancedArtist

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 10:31:12 PM »
For your reading pleasure HWB almost made it.... but I guess it did not get all the way there.

http://alvyray.com/Papers/CG/HWB_JGTv208.pdf

But giving that a read is worth the time for sure. The science behind the simplicity.

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 12:12:44 PM »
I agree with mike nice post, in fact this the AA i met when i first bought DRAW in `09
teaching the garage squeegee printers like myself how to use the software  towards screen printing that said.
 when someone in the industry comes up with a new method of doing things that`s healthy, makes the industry rolling
 competition is a good thing keep us sharp on the edge of things
whether you sep in this software or that software manually or plug in, push or pull the squeegee
 there`s nothing wrong with that
get it done teammates ;)
Gabe

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 10:08:02 AM »
Ugh, does this mean I need to buy/learn Corel Draw?  :(

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 04:37:15 PM »

No.  You can still do this in photoshop. 

AA is automating the process for Corell Draw though.  And Customers are reporting it works well!

Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 06:05:11 PM »

No.  You can still do this in photoshop. 

AA is automating the process for Corell Draw though.  And Customers are reporting it works well!

I'd like to try, but so far, I can't even get Corel loaded onto my pc in the office. Windows Update is apparently missing (in the services list, thanks Mike for getting me there) so I still can't install Corel, which wants to install Frameworks 4.0 (I think that's right) because of no Windows Update. What a friggin' pain. Back to the subject at hand, nice post Tom, thank you.

Steve

I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Full-SpectrumSeparator

• "Knowledge is possessed only by sharing."
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 07:48:28 PM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 11:34:29 PM by Full-SpectrumSeparator »
"Science and invention benefited most of all from the printing press."   https://www.youtube.com/user/FullSpectrumVideo  ||  https://sellfy.com/planetaryprints

Offline starchild

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 09:01:02 PM »
Hey Scott, you're on theshirtboard!! That's what's up..

Offline Full-SpectrumSeparator

• "Knowledge is possessed only by sharing."
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 10:47:18 PM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 11:34:51 PM by Full-SpectrumSeparator »
"Science and invention benefited most of all from the printing press."   https://www.youtube.com/user/FullSpectrumVideo  ||  https://sellfy.com/planetaryprints

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 11:09:07 PM »

P.S. -- Been lurking for a while,  people been posting my vids and all...   Did you think I was gonna let Tom have all the fun??   :D

Just keep your "fun" civil and friendly.  ;)  One Tom is plenty (some would say too much as it is)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 12:30:00 AM »
Hi Jeff... I've found your videos (and Tom's) very interesting. Good stuff.

More info, more learning, this is good.

Positivity.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs