Author Topic: Achieving Soft Hand on Tie Dye with White Print  (Read 796 times)

Offline ScreenPrinter123

Achieving Soft Hand on Tie Dye with White Print
« on: April 16, 2013, 01:41:49 AM »
So, if you had a white print with a lot of open area going on a tie dye, how would you print it to have as little hand as possible? 

If memory serves correctly, discharge white doesn't do anything.  Any suggestions?  D-Base + white plastisol (or wb white) on top?  What's the bleeding like on tie dyes?  Anything like the dreaded camouflage?

Thanks.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Achieving Soft Hand on Tie Dye with White Print
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 01:55:35 AM »
If I remember correctly, the Garments for the tie dyes are mostly 100% cotton. Should be great for discharge even after doing or using a very hard color contrast like navy to white. I know we did discharge base white on tie dyes and discharge colors and tie dye texture pattern was not an issue. I can't  say for sure this. I was not up on every garment type they used.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:02:25 AM »
Actually the dyes themselves can be a problem. Most procion dyes used in the tye dye process use fixitives such as sodium carbonate that, while helping the dyes hold up to the laundering process, can exhibit bleeding in the hemmorage category.
Your results may vary.

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:09:12 AM »
We DC base 50/50 mix with a soft plasticol for a top white.  Get good Tie Dye Ts ie.. Gildan or District Thread  as they tend to DC better, not perfect but better.