Author Topic: Adobe Goes All-In With Subscription-Based Creative Cloud.....  (Read 1981 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Adobe Goes All-In With Subscription-Based Creative Cloud.....
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 03:12:25 PM »
Not cool.
"No man is an island"

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 03:31:59 PM »
I agree also not cool at all, I personally think there is just to much on the net, ppl are living there lives on the net already.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 03:52:17 PM »
Bad idea. For me, I pretty much only use one program tho I have 3 or more. but I mostly use Photoshop. So, that cost will be much more for me.  know I'm not the norm in the graphics design world, but that me.  Is is the way of the future tho. So, maybe it will get better on cost or something.  :-[
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 04:13:59 PM »
One big advantage I see for adobe by doing this is it will eliminate pirated software to a certain degree.

Big disadvantage is people that cannot always access the net everytime they need to work with their software. Think about all the people around the world that already have a limited bandwith, its not a normal thing in the US but in Ireland they are limited no matter the type of net they have.

Me personally I always preferred paying for something out right one time and owning it, having another monthly bill is not cool. I am sure they will allow 6month or one year subscriptions but still that sucks.

"No man is an island"

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 04:45:55 PM »
I'd wager and hope that this spurns serious competition. (no offense Corel users)

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »
In my business I do not care to deal with everyone that comes my way......Adobe has decided they only want part of the pie and are willing to lose some of their client base to do so.....As far as serious competition, Corel has had lots of chances to get "close" but they have not done so......It would take a tremendous amount of capital to put on a serious challenge to the suite of tools Adobe offers........

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 04:56:23 PM »
for anybody who constantly uses their products and has to stay current due to the customer demands, this is not a bad move. Many ppl don't have the $1.5k to upgrade every two years (for full package) for multiple users (could amount to tens of thousands of dollars). So if you know you will be using the product for many years to come, this is not necessarily a bad deal.
We have one boxed version and one subscription. I paid something like $270 to upgrade to the latest version. It is the most basic version and it does what we need. The subscription version is $32 per month and gives us all the bells and whistles (we don't really need). It is nice to know we have all the features available to us and will not have to spend money on the upgrades.

there are issues though:
first, after paying all this money, the user owns nothing! While the amount spent to upgrade might be higher (in some cases) at the end of the day, we own something for all the money spent. With subscription, once done, there is nothing left.
second, for ppl using only one product, subscription does end up being more expensive. Same for the educational users. Most of us use Photoshop and Illustrator. Photoshop does not need any upgrading, it is pretty much infinitely backward compatible, while Illy is not. For somebody using Illy every now and then (like Dan) this is a bum deal!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline starchild

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »
One big advantage I see for adobe by doing this is it will eliminate pirated software to a certain degree.

Well how it works is your software is run on your machine locally and Adobe checks in every 30days to get your money for using it.
It's impossible to run all apps to all subscribers online simultaneously. Plus a full blown dedicated workstation would be useless and everybody
can get cheap emachines to work with because memory and processing will be dictated by cloud servers.

Yea that cannot be there intentions. As long as it's running locally, it can be reversed.

Offline MrBreeze

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 05:22:04 PM »
What happens to my third party plugins?  Anybody know?
If it's so easy, you do it.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 05:30:01 PM »
For me, this sucks tremendously. I started on Illy 88 and PS 2.0, and I own 5 copies each. (3 at work, and 2 at home). I could go Corel Draw, but I think I'd rather learn another trade than use a PC, and Corel is too effin' cheap to port to Mac, so yeah, this really sucks. Can't wait to die...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 05:41:51 PM »
Steve I think this change may actually save the Mac versions of Adobe software.....As I understand it, with each new version of Adobe, they were increasing their market share of PC versus Mac versions....While "pros" like their Macs, so many folks were taking a DIY approach and were buying PC versions...

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 06:01:49 PM »
Crazy.  When I first read this I thought they were going to have all the software in the cloud, that probably would have sucked big time for more intensive work.
Well how it works is your software is run on your machine locally and Adobe checks in every 30days to get your money for using it.

That makes more sense.  I think they are actually tapping into the market of part time users pirating and borrowing their software.  Will it be tiered?  i.e., can someone pay less monthly for fewer features?  That would be a good move on their part.

I don't know, I think we could all easily run old versions for a long time.  I still have copy of PS7 somewhere and honestly it has 95% of what I need for screen printing pre press.  For drafting yes, the updates are nice but not 100% necessary.  I guess $30/mo ain't all bad but we use so many SAAS apps that the monthly cost can get significant.

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
Lots of discussion about this everywhere... lots of unhappy customers. Lots of people who are excited about it.

Seems to be the way of the future. Don't know how I feel about it yet... I like buying the disks, but I haven't had to re-install from the disks in ages and they sit at the bottom of a drawer.

But I want to be in control of when I upgrade, and I like having the old version around for a while as I adjust to the new version.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Adobe Goes All-In With Subscription-Based Creative Cloud.....
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 07:20:48 PM »
I can see where Corel could make some tweaks win some hearts and market share.

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com