Author Topic: M&R Challenger I  (Read 24437 times)

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: M&R Challenger I
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »
If its your first auto, I like the idea of it being new.  That's just me.  Not saying you can't make used work for you.  But that's just how I like to do things.  I should be worrying about how to sell orders for it to print, not worrying about how to make it print.

If you knew your way around a older press and such, I would say go for the older one.

Flip the coin though and compare this to your first car.  Was it new?  Did you need it to get to work?  Did it break down and did you fix it yourself? If my first car was brand new, I wouldn't know jack about fixing cars, but I guess I would have made it to work a couple more times than not!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2013, 09:44:41 AM »
It's also not his first automatic.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2013, 09:50:51 AM »
If its your first auto, I like the idea of it being new.  That's just me.  Not saying you can't make used work for you.  But that's just how I like to do things.  I should be worrying about how to sell orders for it to print, not worrying about how to make it print.

If you knew your way around a older press and such, I would say go for the older one.

Flip the coin though and compare this to your first car.  Was it new?  Did you need it to get to work?  Did it break down and did you fix it yourself? If my first car was brand new, I wouldn't know jack about fixing cars, but I guess I would have made it to work a couple more times than not!

My first car was a truck and it was brand new yes.  1994 Toyota Pick up
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 09:51:12 AM »
It's also not his first automatic.

Was a general comment for others reading.... 

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2013, 10:00:21 AM »
I agree with Brandt, a new auto is a great thing for first time buyers.  That doesn't mean it's right for everyone, but it's not a bad idea.

I am on a used kick right now.  I think if it's a good piece of equipment and it's installed properly and gone through by a tech, it should be a better bang for your buck.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2013, 10:31:11 AM »
Arrgghh maybe ill get a couple quotes today for new, almost new with servo/ ac heads.

My electrician is cheap, I have a compressor although maybe small for an older press, I have a dryer that can do 300 an hour.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »
Am I the only one wondering what happened with your last auto relationship?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2013, 10:47:54 AM »

I hear what Brandt is sayin, and I cant disagree, Great advice!
My first car was a $70 1964 Nova2 station wagon bought at 14 years of age. "Nescesity is "the mother of
invention. it taught me a lot.  In many years of printing, printers have become less hands on. IMO art development has been the Biggest Game Changer, followed by Better Screen Making which came from the
graphic side of the screen print industry, Not machinery. Machinery has become very user friendly, which has
brought the industry forward. With machines getting better, the level of "craftsmen" has fallen big time, but
other industries have had the same problem. Years ago you couldn't pull the wool over any operator, production
manager, shop owner. They were on top of their game. It has all changed! I  am in some shops today, and
the breaker has flipped, everyone is panicked, and I asked if they have checked the breaker, and they say what
is that! Hmmm. The industry in the last number of years has not encouraged continuing education like the 1980's. It is Why our friend Tony :), is so valuable. There has been a resurgence of intro level screen print
schools, which is a good thing. Free flow of information, is a positive force, badly needed in this industry. If this
industry is going to prosper and not just survive, there has to be a way for people to go step 1,2,3,4,5etc. If we
cant figure a way to reach for a way to support our families, then why be in the screen print industry. Go make
a living where the risk vs. reward is a little  and more profitable and safer. You think I am off base? Let the
mass of the "industry" go to their banker, with their numbers and ask for a sizable loan. Only 10% would
qualify. Maybe manufactures should offer "rent to own" or "pay as you print programs" if they feel that their
equipment would be a "win -win". In Orlando at the "table of friends", I asked the question, that if your children
came to you and asked "Mom /Dad" should I go into the Screen print business for a career, what would you say?
Could you look in the mirror, and say YES! Mine asked me that very question the night before. Which is why I
asked. Years ago, I would have said, YES. The people at the table agreed! If we are to survive and prosper as
an industry, there has to be a way forward, where One can grow their business, based on good business principles, from the bottom to the top. If not, Digital will take over. PERIOD! I am sorry to say that at this time
I had to say, your energy would show more fruit in another field. There has to still be away to rub " two nickels
together, to make a dollar" rather than "start with a dollar, and end up with a nickel". The hope of the industry,
is going to fall on "you young whippersnappers" rather than the "old men" who are at this point in life, stepping
on our Gonads! You Guy Can Do It! Work Smart, Hard, And take Time To Play.
winston

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2013, 11:46:05 AM »
Challengers are quite a bit bigger than their little brother the Gauntlet.

Larger print area, but an equally larger footprint and air requirement.

My first press was a 6 color Auto-Rototex 2. I had several thousand piece orders coming in.
I loved that press, but if I had to do it all over again I would have waited for an 8 color Gauntlet.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2013, 11:50:23 AM »
Am I the only one wondering what happened with your last auto relationship?
Well I sold the last auto to pursue another business with a partner that went south and me being ripped off for 10K (got it back). The problem is I spent the last 6 months not really working on the business and I am feeling the effects of it now. I scaled back the screen printing for this other venture, moved into a larger shop and now I am using about 500 sq ft of a 1750 sq ft shop. So I am back into my business and am determined to grow this thing. I need to get an auto to grow and be comfortable going after some larger jobs.

Offline cvreeland

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2013, 12:05:25 PM »
Nothing wrong with a Challenger I. We still have 2 of 'em here. Things to watch out for -- ask for a new program battery to be installed before it's shipped -- you don't want to lose the program because it's unlpugged too long in transit. Keep in mind the C-200-H CPU's are totally obsolete and getting harder to find, if they do blow. ll the engineers at M&R who wrote the programs for these machines are long gone. They can load a program onto a CPU, but the real knowledge base is gone. 

I would have an independent press tech who has no interest in the sale inspect the central shaft bearings. Everything else on a CH I is modular & can be replaced, but if the central shaft bearings are loose, it won't register, & will hardly be worth repairing.

Other than that, although they're slower than a new machine, they're still very solid presses. We work ours to death, and they're still going strong at 19 & 21 years old, respectively.

Spare parts you'll want on hand: Squeegee chopper cylinders, 45A mac valves, and lots of hose, & some unions to splice hoses if/when they get torn. Make sure the oiler works, and if it doesn't replace that right away. I've seen so many presses with non-functioning oilers, & the vales get sticky. Keep the 10 wt. flowing!
Owner, writer Art Wear - a screen printing blog

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2013, 11:17:24 PM »
Gerry get a hold of me and I can tell you what you need to know on this machine. Cvreeland has a good chunk covered. Maybe I will even sell you mine and I will get a new one..... ;)
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2013, 11:18:18 PM »
Thanks J for the info! I ended up buying it today. It is being torn down and crated tomorrow and will ship as soon as I can find a shipper.
Also it was great talking with Winston. We might have him install it if it fits his schedule.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2013, 12:54:16 AM »
You won't go wrong with winston on your install...I should have had him do all of mine

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 01:01:40 AM »
Thanks J for the info! I ended up buying it today. It is being torn down and crated tomorrow and will ship as soon as I can find a shipper.
Also it was great talking with Winston. We might have him install it if it fits his schedule.
No problem. You made a good buy as long as it is what is advertised. I am sure it is.I have heard nothing but good things about Winston.

I have some spare micros for that thing that are brand new incase you need to replace some.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin